November 25, 2014, 05:03:30 PM

Author Topic: A Week in Rumors  (Read 11275 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
A Week in Rumors
« on: September 11, 2011, 11:25:07 AM »
Lots came in I have received a lot of small rumors throughout the week. There’s till life out there, even if there isn’t anything overly exciting.

I’ll break them down.

DIGIC V Apparently DIGIC V will be powering the next Canon DSLRs. We all expect better noise reduction and processing speed, however there is also a “brand new feature”. I’m still waiting to find out what that is.

PowerShot G12 Replacement There will be no G12 replacement in 2011.

2011 DSLR? Most information I am receiving now seems to suggest there will be no DSLR announcement in 2011. There are definitely a lot of prototype bodies out there, we just won’t be hearing about them until 2012.

It was suggested this was to make sure Canon could meet the production demands that the Christmas and holiday  seasons require.

It was also flatly said that “Canon will announce a new camera when it’s done, and not a minute before”. Canon has no desire to announce a camera and it not be available for 2-3 months.

Canon Mirrorless The R&D is ongoing. There is no prototype cameras out to photographers though.

EF 24-70 f/2.8L II Apparently in the October 2011 Popular Photography issue, they wrote a reference to an EF 24-70 f/2.8L IS II. I haven’t seen the magazine, but generally dismiss this sort of thing as a typo. I’ve never received solid info that the version II would have IS.

*UPDATE* As pointed out by a reader, any 24-70 with IS wouldn’t be designated with a “II”. I hate missing the obvious. :)

cr

« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 12:51:54 PM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

A Week in Rumors
« on: September 11, 2011, 11:25:07 AM »

surfing_geek

Re: A Week in Rumors
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 11:30:50 AM »
Bugger!  Every time I hope for a new SLR rumour, it gets shot down.  I'm still waiting for a 7D mk II rumour.... Looks like that's a long time off yet!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 03:52:21 PM by surfing_geek »

Eagle Eye

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 12:23:37 PM »
No release prior to the holidays seems like a poor decision.  Sure, they want to be able to meet production requirements, but they're going to take a hit if the D5100 becomes the hot selling dSLR for the holidays.  Honestly, if I was just getting into photography, the D5100 would seem a more attractive buy than the T3i.  The latter is essentially the same guts as the 2010 T2i; nearly two years old.  The point and shoot market could take a hit this holiday if the iPhone has another update to its camera and the other phone makers follow suit.  I'm not sure what Canon is predicting it will be selling a lot of camera-wise this holiday season... 
Gear! When do we get gear?!

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 12:34:39 PM »
Further advances in DSLR's seems to be incremental.  I prefer to wait until there is something that is a big enough improvement to make it worth upgrading from my 5D MK II or 7D.

A big jump in ISO or DR capability might do the trick, most of the other features mentioned would not cause me to open my pocket book.

bornshooter

• 5D Mark III
  • Love L series glass
    • View Profile
    • my flickr
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 01:33:27 PM »
aww i wanna go full frame i have a 60d with 70-200 f2.8 L is usm mk2 + 24-70 f2.8 L usm.so what do i do wait or buy a mk2 ?i think i will wait till the end of october and see what happens but surly updates have to happen soon the reason i am waiting is i simply want a 5d with a much improved focus system which i think canon will give us ill will try and hold on just a little longer :D

aldvan

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 02:37:43 PM »
If cameras are for us just tools and not objects of desire, Canon decision should be regarded with great appreciation. I don't think that any of us, in his range of gear, has to complain about his chance to get perfect pictures due to the lack of a new product. And many of us have a lot of money spent, maybe recently, on expensive gear and  they are not so happy to see it being obsolete due to the contemporary frenzy to get the new toy.
May be that Canon decision is not the best from a short term marketing point of view, but it is very respectful of its customers... Indeed, announcing a new product and not made it immediately available is a disrespectful policy towards their customers and  their invested money. According to me, Canon is behaving as a real pro brand...

UncleFester

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 03:01:35 PM »
If cameras are for us just tools and not objects of desire, Canon decision should be regarded with great appreciation. I don't think that any of us, in his range of gear, has to complain about his chance to get perfect pictures due to the lack of a new product. And many of us have a lot of money spent, maybe recently, on expensive gear and  they are not so happy to see it being obsolete due to the contemporary frenzy to get the new toy.
May be that Canon decision is not the best from a short term marketing point of view, but it is very respectful of its customers... Indeed, announcing a new product and not made it immediately available is a disrespectful policy towards their customers and  their invested money. According to me, Canon is behaving as a real pro brand...

You make a good point. And,I'll add, the newest reviews on B&H's site indicate the 5DII still has a fan base.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 03:01:35 PM »

seanmcr6

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 03:08:20 PM »
"It was suggested this was to make sure Canon could meet the production demands that the Christmas and holiday  seasons require"

What demand? There is a big xmas demand for the 1DmkIV? 5DmkII? I think these products are all on the downslope of their sales...there is no large demand. Canon would be foolish to push their releases into early next year if indeed they make higher sales at xmas time.

As for not annoucing new models that won't be available for 2-3 months....isn't this the norm?  Doesn't Canon ALWAYS do this?

The 1DmkIII was announced in Feb and wasn't available until May...I'm no math whiz, but that's 3 months.

The 5D mkII was announced in the middle of Sept and was only shipped at the end of November. um...that would be 2 months.

I'm pretty confident this is exactly what will happen when Canon (finally) announces some new bodies.

sean

nikkito

• Canon 6D
  • Argentine freelance photographer
    • View Profile
    • Facebook photo page
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 03:50:41 PM »
aww i wanna go full frame i have a 60d with 70-200 f2.8 L is usm mk2 + 24-70 f2.8 L usm.so what do i do wait or buy a mk2 ?i think i will wait till the end of october and see what happens but surly updates have to happen soon the reason i am waiting is i simply want a 5d with a much improved focus system which i think canon will give us ill will try and hold on just a little longer :D

Man, you have to wait. You have a very modern camera.
www.nicolaszonvi.com - www.facebook.com/zonviphoto

1D X, 5D Mk III, 5D Mk II, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200L IS, 85 f1.2, 40 f2.8, 50 f1.4, Sigma 10-20 and many other toy cameras.

bornshooter

• 5D Mark III
  • Love L series glass
    • View Profile
    • my flickr
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 04:05:54 PM »

thanks its just full frame i want but don't wanna jump in just now I'm gonna wait and see how things go :D

Shnookums

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 04:50:19 PM »
Further advances in DSLR's seems to be incremental.  I prefer to wait until there is something that is a big enough improvement to make it worth upgrading from my 5D MK II or 7D.

A big jump in ISO or DR capability might do the trick, most of the other features mentioned would not cause me to open my pocket book.

I know the 5DII is 3 years old but... upgrading a 7D? I always wondered why people want to upgrade their camera when they have the current generation. My 1DII is old now... and I started to look at future replacement only 6 months ago. What sucks so much in a 5D or 7D that its worth changing before the 5DIV and 7DIII?

In any case... I'm still waiting for a new 1D FF or 1Ds...

nikkito

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook photo page
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 05:41:14 PM »

thanks its just full frame i want but don't wanna jump in just now I'm gonna wait and see how things go :D

i know, full frame is cool :) i have a 5d mk II. but there are lots of new things missing with my camera. wait for a new 5d mk III :)

1D X, 5D Mk III, 5D Mk II, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200L IS, 85 f1.2, 40 f2.8, 50 f1.4, Sigma 10-20 and many other toy cameras.

elusive1

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011, 06:04:26 PM »
2007 Digic 4 to 2012 Digic 5, so now Canon is on a 5 year product cycle. While the rest of the tech industry is getting tighter and tighter product cycles, Canon is taking longer and longer.

Good for their profits, bad for those who've invested a lot of cash into Canon gear.

Shameful. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if they postponed it till 2013. Not releasing before Christmas never seems to be a good idea financially.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011, 06:04:26 PM »

nikkito

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook photo page
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 06:40:56 PM »
seriously guys, do you always get canon bodies for xmas? i mean, expensive pro bodies...
 ;D

gmrza

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2011, 07:33:57 PM »
"It was suggested this was to make sure Canon could meet the production demands that the Christmas and holiday  seasons require"

What demand? There is a big xmas demand for the 1DmkIV? 5DmkII? I think these products are all on the downslope of their sales...there is no large demand. Canon would be foolish to push their releases into early next year if indeed they make higher sales at xmas time.

Christmas sales are all about xx0D and 1x00D models.  The 1100D, 550D, 600D and maybe some 60Ds will be the main thrust of Christmas sales.  It would make sense for Canon not to want to distract themselves from the entry-level DSLR market for Christmas, as that is where the sales are.  Given the knock they have taken from the earthquake and tsunami, they need to be very careful about where they allocate resources.

Given the price reductions on the 5DII, I have to admit though that it seems like there is a replacement for it in the pipeline somewhere. 
Zeiss Ikon Contax II, Sonnar 50mm f/2, Sonnar 135mm f/4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2011, 07:33:57 PM »