September 02, 2014, 10:17:20 PM

Author Topic: Canon 'Rep' tells BBC that "fewer megapixels are better"  (Read 24049 times)

Flake

Canon 'Rep' tells BBC that "fewer megapixels are better"
« on: September 12, 2011, 03:39:38 AM »
The BBC went to the 'click' technology exhibition in Germany and talked to a few people about future camera development, manufacturers will look to charm customers with ever more features such as built in WiFi - a 3D interchangeable EF lens is an inevitability as the market moves that way, no doubt there will also be demand for 3D stills too.

The Canon 'Rep' is Jurg Ammon if anyone is aware of him - the camera relevant part starts at 10:00 and the DSLR stuff at around 11:00.   Another interesting comment is that there's no real future for cheap video cameras as casual users can now record HD video on their cameras.

An interesting interview, sorry but I think this might only be accessible from UK ISPs so those in the know might have to work some internet magic to view it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b014tbg4/Click_10_09_2011/

canon rumors FORUM

Canon 'Rep' tells BBC that "fewer megapixels are better"
« on: September 12, 2011, 03:39:38 AM »

bycostello

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • London Weddings
Re: Canon 'Rep' tells BBC that "fewer megapixels are better"
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 04:00:02 AM »
I agree.. i got more than enough now.. and any more is just needless hard disk space...

Eagle Eye

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 08:09:42 AM »
I'm awaiting the release of a 400 mp camera so I can sell off all my telephoto lenses.
Gear! When do we get gear?!

Bob Howland

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 09:18:14 AM »
Was "Jurg Ammon" from the still photography or camcorder side of the house? The trend in the last generation of Canon prosumer camcorders was to have future pixels. 1080P video is only about 2MP.

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 09:26:36 AM »
Was "Jurg Ammon" from the still photography or camcorder side of the house? The trend in the last generation of Canon prosumer camcorders was to have future pixels. 1080P video is only about 2MP.

Thats what I tell whoever asks me "how many megapixels does your camera have"... but guys the truth is, that an 8mp image shown on a 1080p TV/monitor looks much better than a 2mp image... why?
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 10:08:46 AM »
I'm awaiting the release of a 400 mp camera so I can sell off all my telephoto lenses.

Hahaha... gave me a good chuckle this monday morning =)  I wouldn't mind having good crop ability as long image iq is superb.. 

Thats what I tell whoever asks me "how many megapixels does your camera have"... but guys the truth is, that an 8mp image shown on a 1080p TV/monitor looks much better than a 2mp image... why?

More resolution is more resolution... Kinda like how a photoshop file built to minimum standards of 5x7 will look ok/good but a photoshop 8x10 downsized to 5x7 printed will have that little bit extra...
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

Mark D5 TEAM II

• 1D X
  • Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 10:59:26 AM »
Promote Jurg Ammon to replace both Chuck "Mr. Product Differentiation" Westfall and that Mr. Masaya "Nobody complained about the 5D's AF" Maeda guy.  ;D
Nikon NSF16 5-Leaf Dual-Blade Industrial Fan ¦ Nikon NTMFI-H1 Dry Heavy Flat Iron ¦ Nikon Tough Mama NTMRC1-2S Rice Cooker “Limited Edition” ¦ Nikon Tough Mama NTMJK18-S Stainless Electric Kettle Plate Type ¦ Nikon NHT 2-in-1 Curling Iron & Straightener in One ¦ Nikon N4004s Decision Master System™

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 10:59:26 AM »

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 11:02:03 AM »

More resolution is more resolution... Kinda like how a photoshop file built to minimum standards of 5x7 will look ok/good but a photoshop 8x10 downsized to 5x7 printed will have that little bit extra...

Yes, but we  cannot get 8mp resolution out of a 2mp monitor... so perhaps it is not about the absolute number pixels.

So perhaps there are other factors to be considered, for example, if the effect of AA and bayer filters less of an issue with higher resolution shots proportionally? I would think yes and that would probably explain some of the difference we are witnessing... What else should we consider?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 11:04:02 AM by K-amps »
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 11:10:23 AM »

Yes, but we  cannot get 8mp resolution out of a 2mp monitor... so perhaps it is not about the absolute number pixels.

So perhaps there are other factors to be considered, for example, if the effect of AA and bayer filters less of an issue with higher resolution shots proportionally? I would think yes and that would probably explain some of the difference we are witnessing... What else should we consider?

For the last decade i've been a big proponent for increasing resolution due to more information, bigger prints, more options in post... I think we can be getting to the peak (especially on crop sensors) in resolution... perhaps they can bump it up to 21 but I want to see a big jump in IQ and noise... With full frame I think they have a little wiggle room should they want to but dont overdue it... The bigger the MP the better lenses you need... From this point on though I wont mind more MP as long as other areas are focused more on as far as improvements...
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 11:17:35 AM »
Those who want fewer MP are definitely in luck, since there is a huge supply of low MP cameras out there, even some with less than 1MP. 

I have a wonderful Nikon CP 990, 3.3 mp, and I love it for a great piece of technology.  However, it does not hold a candle to the resolution of the images from my 5D MK II.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 11:21:51 AM »
I think we can be getting to the peak (especially on crop sensors) in resolution... perhaps they can bump it up to 21...

Shhhhhh.  Don't tell Sony that.   :P
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 11:26:38 AM »
I think we can be getting to the peak (especially on crop sensors) in resolution... perhaps they can bump it up to 21...

Shhhhhh.  Don't tell Sony that.   :P

Haha my lips are sealed (except on this forum that is)

DavidRiesenberg

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • David Riesenberg
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2011, 11:54:49 AM »
The megapixel wars will not stop anytime soon. Setbacks and slowdowns might occur once in a while as new technologies are developed to overcome barriers but I have no doubt that we will have the same discussion at 50, 100 and 200 megapixels in the not too distant future.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2011, 11:54:49 AM »

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 12:06:33 PM »
The megapixel wars will not stop anytime soon. Setbacks and slowdowns might occur once in a while as new technologies are developed to overcome barriers but I have no doubt that we will have the same discussion at 50, 100 and 200 megapixels in the not too distant future.

That's fine as long as the image quality doesn't start to suck...

Mark D5 TEAM II

• 1D X
  • Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2011, 12:09:51 PM »
Seriously, those who think they "need" 21 or 24MP would have/should have moved to FF by now. All DSLRs should have FF sensors, maximize the lens mount FFS. Leave the crop sensor to the lowest-end Rebel and the so-called "large sensor compacts" .
Nikon NSF16 5-Leaf Dual-Blade Industrial Fan ¦ Nikon NTMFI-H1 Dry Heavy Flat Iron ¦ Nikon Tough Mama NTMRC1-2S Rice Cooker “Limited Edition” ¦ Nikon Tough Mama NTMJK18-S Stainless Electric Kettle Plate Type ¦ Nikon NHT 2-in-1 Curling Iron & Straightener in One ¦ Nikon N4004s Decision Master System™

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2011, 12:09:51 PM »