April 16, 2014, 09:43:00 PM

Author Topic: Lightroom 5 versus Photoshop Elements 11  (Read 13683 times)

Janbo Makimbo

• Rebel T5i
  • 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Lightroom 5 versus Photoshop Elements 11
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2013, 01:39:09 AM »
Lightroom 5 is not dramatically superior to Photoshop Elements 11 for editing pictures.... To say so is nonsence!!

Thought I would insert a random image like the previous post.....this one used no LR or PSE editing...

« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 01:53:35 AM by Janbo Makimbo »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2013, 01:39:09 AM »

bycostello

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • London Weddings
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2013, 06:27:21 AM »
they are very different programs, LR allows organising of your files and edits non distructivly....  LR5 is what you want probably....

wsheldon

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • sheldon-photo
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2013, 08:26:33 AM »
I do 99% of my editing in LR5. If I need advanced cloning/healing, layers, background replacement, etc, then i would use PSE, but that just isn't needed daily.

+1

Now with LR5 I expect to take even fewer trips to PSE. That said, the two programs do pair nicely when you do need a pixel editor to really do heavy editing on a photo. Just right click, select "Edit In", then choose "Edit in Adobe Photoshop Elements Editor". A dialog then lets you choose various options for creating a file to edit. The resulting file is then managed in LR side-by-side with the raw image when you save and return from PS/PSE, and you can keyword, export and print right from LR without going back to PS/PSE.

PSE does include cataloging and other overlapping features, but the editor is just a slightly cut down version of PS optimized for photography. For $70 it's a good add-on IMO.
Canon 6D & 50D, nice set of lenses

zim

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2013, 08:45:46 AM »
So no issues with editing in 8bit then?
I don't but I thought that was the main reason PSE was disliked

Jim K

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2013, 09:15:51 AM »
Since the OP does not have either Lr or PSE I would start by getting the new Lightroom 5 and then if you find that the additional editing ability of PSE is needed get PSE 12 as it should be out by then. Most people find that Lr5 works for 95% of their images.

I just took the Ed2go Lr 4 course (Lr5 was not released yet) and found it worth the money. It gave me a good overview of Lr. The instructor there thought that the Lr cataloging was better than PSE 11 cataloging and a better place to start as you could do corrections to groups of similar images and then "fine tune" the ones that needed it.
EOS: 7D (2, 1 gripped), 50D gripped, 580EX II + CP-E4
EF: 500 f/4L IS, 100-400 L IS, 70-200 f/4L IS, 28-135 IS, 1.4x TC II, EF-S: 15-85 IS, 10-22
5D3, 17-40 L, 24-105 L, 24mm TS-E II.  S100 p&s

beckstoy

• Rebel T5i
  • Bokeh, Baby!
    • View Profile
    • Pure Touch Photography
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2013, 09:44:35 AM »
Lightroom 5.  All day.  It's simple and extremely powerful.

5DM3, EF 50 f1.4, EF 24-70 f2.8 II, EF 70-200 f2.8 USM IS II, EF 24-104 f4, Siggy 12-24 f3.5

pedro

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2013, 09:59:21 AM »
I've been using Photoshop since CS2, so around 8 years, tried using Elements a couple of times out of curiosity and really struggled. Just couldn't find my way round it.

I mean, isn't it supposed to be easier?

@Harry Muff: I am with CS 2 for about the same time. Can you still run it on let's say windows 7 or 8? Going LR next year with a new Notebook.
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2013, 09:59:21 AM »

mdmphoto

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Mike McReynolds Photography
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2013, 01:00:22 PM »
Lightroom 5 is not dramatically superior to Photoshop Elements 11 for editing pictures.... To say so is nonsence!!

Thought I would insert a random image like the previous post.....this one used no LR or PSE editing...

Nonsence?
      Let's try not to fail civility and maintain a focus on addressing the op's concerns.  Good that you are emotionally candid, but LR5 is in fact too DRAMATICALLY superior in its algorithms, organizational capacities, and simple accessibility of the tools it offers.  LR5 can also be expected to retain its utility longer into the future.  Why bother with pse if one will simply end up moving up to LR5 anyway?  Disclaimer: I've not used pse for several years as I found its features either not robust enough, or too inconvenient to use as a standalone. The OP can also download LR5 and use t free for 30 days to get a feel for it.  I'm not so sure if the same is true for pse.  Might you offer an image that you've edited with either LR or PSE?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 01:08:03 PM by mdmphoto »
6D, 7D,50D, 17-55IS, 24-105L, 70-200 Fl2.8L IS, 135L, tokina 16-28, 150-500 & a buffet more, 580 EXII, 430 EXII, AB 800's

bholliman

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2013, 01:38:19 PM »
I do 99% of my editing in LR5. If I need advanced cloning/healing, layers, background replacement, etc, then i would use PSE, but that just isn't needed daily.
+1
Now with LR5 I expect to take even fewer trips to PSE. That said, the two programs do pair nicely when you do need a pixel editor to really do heavy editing on a photo.

Agreed!

I use both programs frequently, but LR5 for almost every picture and PSE11 for just a few.  PSE11 is handy for some types of editing that LR doesn't handle. 
Bodies:  6D, EOS-M
Lenses: Rokinon 14mm 2.8, 35mm 2.0 IS, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8L IS Macro, 135mm 2.0L, 24-70mm 2.8L II, 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF-M 22 2.0, EF-M 18-55mm, Extender EF 2xIII; Speedlites: 600EX-RT(2x), 430EX II

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2013, 02:29:16 PM »
Photoshop Elements is a photo editor, while Lightroom is both a editor and a database so you can organize and locate hundreds of thousands of images.  Its specifically designed for photography, but not for everyone.

I'd recommend Elements for those who do not have many thousands of images, and manage them  and their organization manually.  Nothing wrong with that.

At some point, if you start getting thousands of images and find you need a better way to find one, then a image manager is needed.  You can get dedicated software, or all in one software like Lightroom.  Even the full version of Photoshop needs a separate image management tool.

Lightroom is not initiative, you need training to understand the image management and the database.  There is a lot of free training that helps.

emag

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2013, 04:29:57 PM »
Pedro -

I use CS2 on Windows 7x64.  I've gradually moved to LR for most of my editing, but sometimes call up CS2 from LR for a photo or two. 

@Harry Muff: I am with CS 2 for about the same time. Can you still run it on let's say windows 7 or 8? Going LR next year with a new Notebook.

gary

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2013, 04:35:39 PM »
I have both LR4 and PS5, sorry not Elements. I almost exclusively use LR4 as it has many of the functions that I need. I started with LR and would advise this is a good place to start as its functions are very straight forward and the library database is very useful and its easier to start with a database than to suddenly look and see that you have 40,000 images that you then wish to put into one. Also $79 for an upgrade is not too bad if like me you skip an upgrade. If you took this route take a look at some of the plug-ins that are available which can be really useful.
5D Mkiii -  16-35L mkii, 24-70L mkii, 70-200L IS mkii, 85 1.8

papa-razzi

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2013, 04:52:11 PM »
Ultimately as your photography and editing progress, you will end up with both Lightroom and either PSE or Photoshop.  Most professionals use both Lightroom and Photoshop. 

Therefore, the question is where is the best place to start - PSE or Lightroom?  Unfortunately, there is no correct answer - hense the various suggestions to your post.  I now have lightroom and PSE 11, but started with PSE 8 only.

Why start with PSE:  PSE is two programs, the Organizer and the Editor.  The organizer is a database/catalog for your photos.  It allows you to tag photos with locations, events, etc.  It has face recognition, geo tagging, and some other nice things such as sorting your photos by calendar, photo shoot, etc.  It is a fairly powerful program.  There are some very basic editing capabilities that are part of the organizer as well.  The Editor is a stripped down version of Photoshop, with a modified UI.  For most non-professionals, the PSE Editor is all you would want, and at this point I don't ever see myself progressing beyond PSE and needing the full version of Photoshop.  I have been able to take cars, billboards and electric poles out of a landscape photo.  I have also swapped heads from a few photos in a large group photo to get everyone smiling.  Many of the plug-ins/add-ons that are available for Photoshop are also available for PSE.  You could get PSE and be very happy with it for quite some time, and for some folks that is all they ever need. 

So, why bother with Lightroom?  I found a few downsides to PSE - primarily in the Organizer.  The organizer is very much a consumer level product and doesn't scale for an enthusiast or professional.  The biggest problem for me was performance.  The PSE organizer is not 64-bit or multithreaded (at least that is what I found with version 8).  I have a large number of photos, and when I tried to really use all the features (face recognition, multiple tags, etc.) it was just way too slow and basically unusable.  I read about others with large databases that were fine, and the newer version might be better.  Performance was the main reason I went to Lightroom.  One other big difference is The PSE Editor is not designed to work well with multiple files at once - for example, changing the white balance on all the photos from a photo shoot.  Lightroom is designed to be the heart of a photographer's digital work flow.  It can be customized heavily, and you can process a lot of photos more efficiently - from importing photos to printing or posting.  Lightroom feels very integrated.  Everything flows well.  PSE feels a bit cobbled together - especially between the organizer and the editor.

Starting with Lightroom:  If I were to do it over again, I would have started out with Lightroom.  I outgrew the organizer quite quickly.  Lighroom does it all, except for the occasional need to make extensive edits to a photo - at which point, you can launch an external editor from within lightroom (i.e. PSE Editor) and do what you need.  I very rarely need to use PSE.  You will never grow out of Lightroom.  There is nothing in the PSE Organizer that I miss, and I knew the PSE Organizer quite well.  Lightroom can import a PSE Organizer catalog, so upgrading from PSE to Lightroom is fairly painless.

So, bottom line - it is up to you where the best place to start is.  If you ultimately outgrow the PSE Organizer, moving to Lightroom is fairly straightforward.  If you outgrow the PSE Editor, then you need the full Photoshop. 
7D  | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM | EF 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS USM |
EF 35mm f/2 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 85mm f/1.8

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2013, 04:52:11 PM »

ajperk

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2013, 08:37:23 PM »
Thank you all very much for your replies. I think I am going to try a free trial of Lightroom 5 (along with some instruction via youtube or another website, such as some of those suggested above). I have discovered that my wife has a copy of Photoshop Elements 6.0 that she has acquired through her work, so I can play with that a bit also. How different is Photoshop Elements 11.0 versus 6.0?
Canon EOS 6D, EF 24-105mm f/4L, EF 40mm f/2.8, EF 85mm f/1.8, EF 100mm f/2.8, Canon 430ex II

sjprg

• PowerShot G16
  • 1DSIII
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2013, 08:45:05 PM »
My take is that if you file using windows explorer correctly a database is superfluous. That said disregard the organizer in PSE11 and just use the editor which appears to be a subset of PS disabled to 8 bits which makes it useful only for JPGs. It will convert raw to 8 bit jpg though which throws away most of the information in your image. The Content Aware Brush is the same as the one in PS also disabled to 8 bits forcing you to jpg also.

For those whom like databases LR5 is a vast improvement over previous versions. I've never found a real use for the database over my yy/mm/dd/name, file system on a large drive. My major compliant with LR5 is the "Dust Brush" which is just that, and is useless for any other corrections. You must exit to PS to do any real content corrections or to PSE11 if using JPGs.

I guess the group that developed LR doesn't talk to the PS developers or they are hard headed about fixing the dust brush. NO Madman Chan the dust brush DOES NOT WORK!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2013, 08:45:05 PM »