April 19, 2014, 03:13:29 AM

Author Topic: Still on Lightroom 3.6. Why should I upgrade?  (Read 3072 times)

MichaelHodges

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Still on Lightroom 3.6. Why should I upgrade?
« on: August 11, 2013, 10:07:03 PM »
I'm happy with IQ, GUI, and performance. I've mastered this version pretty well.

Is there a reason I need to "upgrade"?

Thanks.

canon rumors FORUM

Still on Lightroom 3.6. Why should I upgrade?
« on: August 11, 2013, 10:07:03 PM »

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
Re: Still on Lightroom 3.6. Why should I upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 10:32:36 PM »
The main reason to go to v.4 (or 5) is the new controls - Highlights, Shadows, etc. It takes some time to get used to them but you can do more with them.

I did not upgrade to LR5 (from 4) but I consider the 3->4 upgrade a major one.

swampler

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 11:07:40 PM »
LR5 has a lot of improvements over 4. The ability to clone/heal more than circles is worth it alone. The improved lens correction ability is very nice as well. Download a trial and check it out. Also, watch some of the videos on Adobe and youtube showing the new features and decide for yourself.

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 11:09:29 PM »
LR5 has a lot of improvements over 4. The ability to clone/heal more than circles is worth it alone. The improved lens correction ability is very nice as well. Download a trial and check it out. Also, watch some of the videos on Adobe and youtube showing the new features and decide for yourself.

I had the beta 5 for about two months, I know.

darrellrhodesmiller

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 11:20:32 PM »
on the surface you might not see much of a difference between 3.6->4 or 5.. but the underlying technology has been improved quite a bit. From what i understand.. and what i've seen.. the image processing underneath has changed. like someone else has mentioned, you have far more control over shadows and highlights.. you also have far better noise reduction and sharpening. The healing brush in v5 is much improved also. The radial tool is great for vignettes and enhancing just certain parts of an image.

even with all these enhancements, ultimately its up to you. all these products have 30 day demos. give the demo a try.. but i encourage you not to just load the software up and continue using it the way you use v 3.6.. dig deep. get on the adobe site, youtube or whatever resources you have.. to really see what has changed.. and what the improvements are. if they are nothing you need or use.. no point in upgrading.. but if you find the new enhancements useful.. and give you the ability to push your work in a new direction it might be worth the time and money.

there are plenty of people out there that drive cars 20+ yrs old.. and they see no point in upgrading .. same goes or this. there are plenty of people out there shooting very old cameras.. even shooting old film.. and they get the results they want.

you dont always have to stay on the edge.. and chase the new stuff.

UrbanVoyeur

• Rebel SL1
  • To see and be seen.
    • View Profile
    • UrbanVoyeur.com
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 11:28:01 PM »
I'm happy with IQ, GUI, and performance. I've mastered this version pretty well.
Is there a reason I need to "upgrade"?
Here's my experience:
V4 and v5 are crashsy. 5 is the most stable.
v4 and v5 are each successively faster with large collections.
v4 applies changes to raw files faster. v5 is about the same.
v4 and v5 each have successively better lens corrections, especially wide angle distortion
v4 and v5 produce successively better auto correction results.

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 11:28:33 PM »
If you're happy with what you have, stay with what you have.

However, the newer lenses and bodies will only be supported by newer versions of Lightroom.  Getting the 5DIII was a big factor for me in moving from LR 3 to 4.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 11:28:33 PM »

Jim Saunders

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 12:02:09 AM »
The perspective correction tool is worth the upgrade, particularly if you skipped LR4.

Jim
I'd probably do better to invest more time and less money.

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 12:08:52 AM »
Starting with LR4, Adobe uses a new RAW processor(2012 ver).  The RAW images are noticibly better when processed with the new version. If ISO's are high, you need it.  NR is also greatly improved.

I've used every version heavily on several PC's and never had crashing issues, its likely a computer problem if its crashing.

Version 5 added some useful features beyond version 4, both have lens correction that will correct distortions for various lenses.  They also have a photobook feature and ver 4 will import videos, but link to a external player while ver 5 will play video.  You can take a typical video frame and make color and other corrections and then copy the corrections to the entire clip.  The improvement can be dramatic and it jst takes seconds.

Starting with ver 4, you can soft proof your images to correct out of gamut photos so that your print will match what you see on the screen.  Its not a matter of a calibrated monitor, out of gamut colors print differently.

I'm sure there is more.

mdmphoto

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Mike McReynolds Photography
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 01:08:52 AM »
I've used every version since LR1.  LR1-3 were fairly incremental changes, (I teach a LR editing class so I needed to work with each version as it arrived)  LR4 a bit more because of the process version and more robust tonal editing tools; 5 is even moreso, but the biggest feature is the new functionality of the cloning/healing brush tool which is very much content-aware, and no longer confined to a circular area.  Whatever you draw over is cloned/healed.  Also, each iteration has been noise-free than its predecessor.  LR3 to LR4 was maybe not so necessary- especially if your camera bodies did not change.  LR 5 is a substantially-enough upgrade to be easily justifiable - and you can go to 5 from as far back as LR3 for sure.
6D, 7D,50D, 17-55IS, 24-105L, 70-200 Fl2.8L IS, 135L, tokina 16-28, 150-500 & a buffet more, 580 EXII, 430 EXII, AB 800's

Harry Muff

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr:
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 01:24:10 AM »
The splash screen is much, much nicer.

Come on, it's not a massive investment.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 02:35:32 AM by Harry Muff »
Some cameras… With Canon written on them. Oh, and some lenses… Also with Canon written on them. Oh, and a shiny camera with Fuji written on it too...

Feel free to have a wander round my flickr

bitm2007

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 04:35:53 AM »
Speaking from a pro landscape photographers perceptive I found the jump form v3 to v4 much more beneficial than that from v4 to v5.  Many fellow photographers I know state the reverse have however, especially those who specialize in other forms of photography, such as portraiture and events.

The switch from process version 2010 (in v3) to process version 2012 (in v4 and v5), was massively beneficial to me.  It now possible to develop much more detail out of both the highlights and shadow.  The clarity sliders is also much more subtle, prior to version v4 I only used this in small amounts due to hallowing.

I've downloaded and used both v5 release candidates (5 and 5.2) extensively.  I'm yet to be convinced that it's worth purchasing as a landscape photographer however.  Vertical works well for some subjects but not all, the new healing/spot tools is no better than that in PS and I would rarely if ever use the new radial tool for landscapes.  The new colour noise reduction slider added in v5.2 is useful however, so I haven't ruled out purchasing at the right price. 

« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 05:10:20 AM by bitm2007 »

pedro

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 05:57:09 AM »
I will purchase LR 5. Until now, I did all the RAW processing work via DPP. But I am changing my PC (8 years old) which runs CS2. Buying a 1TB i7 Dell notebook after Christmas I will enter LR-world. The tools I most commonly use in CS are included in LR as well. So I will hardly need CS anymore, for my type of photography whic is geared to ex maquina with slight adjustments in post: conversion to B/W, and NR. All that is possible in LR. And I sure guess it also contains a crop and resize tool, or doesn't it. I did not get so far to check that out yet.

30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 05:57:09 AM »

Marsu42

• 1D X
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 06:18:31 AM »
Starting with LR4, Adobe uses a new RAW processor(2012 ver).  The RAW images are noticibly better when processed with the new version.

PV2012 isn't necessarily better, though it's easier in comparison to PV2010. If someone has a good workflow in the "old" process there's no pressing reason to upgrade, in PV2012 shadow/highlight controls are "intelligent" and "better", but less options mean that you need to do more local adjustments in comparison to the "old" ones.

To the op: You can do nr and perspective correction also in external applications and arguably better than in LR5, but for me the real killer reasons to upgrade are the healing brush (real brush, not only spots) and circular gradient instead of just linear - saves a lot of trips to photoshop and keeps the raw workflow.

bycostello

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • London Weddings
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 06:25:55 AM »
yes...  worth it just for the new clone tool.... 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 06:25:55 AM »