July 30, 2014, 02:30:44 AM

Author Topic: EOS M / Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Combo  (Read 8848 times)

JohnDizzo15

• 7D
    • View Profile
Re: EOS M / Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Combo
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2013, 05:17:11 PM »
The EOS M for most of us is merely another option that we couldn't pass up at the price point. While I understand what most are saying about mounting larger lenses to the M, know that many of us do it simply because we have the option to. I personally purchased it along with the 22mm for the following reasons:

1. Best deal in camera gear since I started ($299 for most of us)
2. APS-C quality in small package
3. Ability to keep it small (with 22mm when I want)
4. Ability to mount any of my 15 EF lenses that I previously owned
5. Continuous silent AF with the 22mm
6. Great added reach with the 1.6x when you are using tele (or tele + TC)
7. Magic Lantern capable

Yes, I'd say that for $299, all those things make it well worth it even if I have to get used to not having an OVF and awkward ergonomics with different lenses. We can knock the ergonomics all day, but it doesn't negate the fact that if even only 2 or 3 of the reasons I listed above are ones that you share, the value to cost ratio of the M cannot be beat. I paid 450 alone for my TC just to put the price point into perspective. Most of those reasons I listed above are things that my 5D3 don't offer me. And btw, you get used to the ergonomics and the touch screen starts to make perfect sense after about a week of use. I will say though that the 22mm pairs awesomely with the M and is what's mounted most of the time.

So when people wonder why one would mount a large lens like the S18-35 on the M, the answer is simply because we can. We need not have much more reason than that considering what we all paid for the body. To the OP, thanks for the samples and thread.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2013, 05:17:11 PM »

Dylan777

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.500px.com/home
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2013, 09:43:01 AM »
The EOS M for most of us is merely another option that we couldn't pass up at the price point. While I understand what most are saying about mounting larger lenses to the M, know that many of us do it simply because we have the option to. I personally purchased it along with the 22mm for the following reasons:

7. Magic Lantern capable

Yes, I'd say that for $299, all those things make it well worth it even if I have to get used to not having an OVF and awkward ergonomics with different lenses. We can knock the ergonomics all day, but it doesn't negate the fact that if even only 2 or 3 of the reasons I listed above are ones that you share, the value to cost ratio of the M cannot be beat. I paid 450 alone for my TC just to put the price point into perspective. Most of those reasons I listed above are things that my 5D3 don't offer me. And btw, you get used to the ergonomics and the touch screen starts to make perfect sense after about a week of use. I will say though that the 22mm pairs awesomely with the M and is what's mounted most of the time.

So when people wonder why one would mount a large lens like the S18-35 on the M, the answer is simply because we can. We need not have much more reason than that considering what we all paid for the body. To the OP, thanks for the samples and thread.

The M was designed as compact camera, easy to carry around. Putting L lens on M will take that purpose away. Period.

What next, battery grip for M?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 09:44:49 AM by Dylan777 »
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

JohnDizzo15

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2013, 02:00:11 PM »
I will agree that the M was designed to primarily be used as a compact camera that is easy to carry around. And yes, mounting an L lens on it does negate that purpose. However, it is clearly not the only intended purpose from Canon as they would not have released the EF/S to M adapter alongside it otherwise.

To me, the mere fact that the combo of the M with the 22mm is super compact is already worth the price of admission. But to take it a step further, I have the CHOICE to mount whatever lens I want to it. The key here is that it is an available option offered to you from Canon which is more than could be said for most of the other manufacturers with a mirrorless offering at this point.

For all intents and purposes, what Canon has offered is a mirrorless contender (body only on eBay for $240 + Adapter at $115 both new) that gives you access to the super compact as well as the rest of their line of products if you so choose to use them with said body. At $355, it is only slightly more than half the cost of your RX100. Again, at that price point, I could mount whatever the heck I want on there. At least I can say that I have the option.

I get your typical APS-C body IQ (i.e. any of the rebels, xxD, and 7D) for that same price point which is a deal at any size. I personally have used the M as a second body along with my 5D3 for a different FL which would justify mounting an L lens.

Mounting L lenses on the M also gives me distinct differences like a longer macro through the 100L, the 24 tse now becomes a 38mm which I prefer over my 45 tse in some instances. I have mounted my 90mm tse with my 2x III teleconverter to get a 288mm tilt shift lens. Why? Because I can. The possibilities are basically endless. The fact that the M allows me to have these options is great. If you don't think it is for you, then don't do it. But it doesn't mean that it doesn't make sense for plenty of other people to do it.

I could theoretically have gone out and gotten a larger APS-C body so that the ergonomics would have been better. But why would I do that when I picked up the M, adapter, flash, and lens for $500 total (cheaper if you don't want all those things)?

In a nutshell, different strokes for different folks. No need to judge other people on how best to use their gear so long as they are producing captivating images.

Dylan777

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2013, 05:42:11 PM »
I will agree that the M was designed to primarily be used as a compact camera that is easy to carry around. And yes, mounting an L lens on it does negate that purpose. However, it is clearly not the only intended purpose from Canon as they would not have released the EF/S to M adapter alongside it otherwise.

To me, the mere fact that the combo of the M with the 22mm is super compact is already worth the price of admission. But to take it a step further, I have the CHOICE to mount whatever lens I want to it. The key here is that it is an available option offered to you from Canon which is more than could be said for most of the other manufacturers with a mirrorless offering at this point.

For all intents and purposes, what Canon has offered is a mirrorless contender (body only on eBay for $240 + Adapter at $115 both new) that gives you access to the super compact as well as the rest of their line of products if you so choose to use them with said body. At $355, it is only slightly more than half the cost of your RX100. Again, at that price point, I could mount whatever the heck I want on there. At least I can say that I have the option.

I get your typical APS-C body IQ (i.e. any of the rebels, xxD, and 7D) for that same price point which is a deal at any size. I personally have used the M as a second body along with my 5D3 for a different FL which would justify mounting an L lens.

Mounting L lenses on the M also gives me distinct differences like a longer macro through the 100L, the 24 tse now becomes a 38mm which I prefer over my 45 tse in some instances. I have mounted my 90mm tse with my 2x III teleconverter to get a 288mm tilt shift lens. Why? Because I can. The possibilities are basically endless. The fact that the M allows me to have these options is great. If you don't think it is for you, then don't do it. But it doesn't mean that it doesn't make sense for plenty of other people to do it.

I could theoretically have gone out and gotten a larger APS-C body so that the ergonomics would have been better. But why would I do that when I picked up the M, adapter, flash, and lens for $500 total (cheaper if you don't want all those things)?

In a nutshell, different strokes for different folks. No need to judge other people on how best to use their gear so long as they are producing captivating images.

and I don't mind adding more pancakes to my gear, regardless what I currently own.

I don't judge people about their gear. I give comments - don't we all doing that on this forum?

I wouldn't sell my M if AF speed and IQ performs better than rx100 2. Not to mention RX100 I & II fits in jean pocket no problem.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 06:32:09 PM by Dylan777 »

JohnDizzo15

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2013, 06:38:07 PM »
Indeed we are all here to make comments and receive rebuttals which is all I am doing. Not trying to silence your comments if that is what you are inferring. My apologies if that is how my comments have been perceived.

The point is, failing to see that there is definite utility for many of us in mounting EF/S lenses is an exhibition of lack of perspective. In more instances than not, there are plenty of valid reasons why one would choose to have larger lenses on the M hence there are few instances where there would be no justification for pairing a particular lens with said body. Again, different strokes for different folks.

And my words were chosen poorly in my previous post. I did not mean to say you were judging people about their gear. I was merely saying that you may have had an error in judgement in that you have not accounted for all the potential valid reasons one would have to mount a larger lens on the compact body since your opinion/assessment is that some things "simply don't go together."

To reiterate, the cost of buying into this APS-C system was peanuts in the grand scheme of this hobby. It opens the door to many things my full frame body doesn't provide me at a bargain. Most of those reasons involve being able to mount larger than M mount native lenses. So in my opinion, those lenses definitely go together with the M depending on your subset of needs.

I respect and appreciate what the Sony compacts bring to the table. I only mentioned them to bring into perspective what the relative cost of the M was and to exhibit its cost to value ratio (and that mounting full size lenses is a major part of that value) in comparison.

Dylan777

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2013, 08:51:49 PM »
Indeed we are all here to make comments and receive rebuttals which is all I am doing. Not trying to silence your comments if that is what you are inferring. My apologies if that is how my comments have been perceived.

The point is, failing to see that there is definite utility for many of us in mounting EF/S lenses is an exhibition of lack of perspective. In more instances than not, there are plenty of valid reasons why one would choose to have larger lenses on the M hence there are few instances where there would be no justification for pairing a particular lens with said body. Again, different strokes for different folks.

And my words were chosen poorly in my previous post. I did not mean to say you were judging people about their gear. I was merely saying that you may have had an error in judgement in that you have not accounted for all the potential valid reasons one would have to mount a larger lens on the compact body since your opinion/assessment is that some things "simply don't go together."

To reiterate, the cost of buying into this APS-C system was peanuts in the grand scheme of this hobby. It opens the door to many things my full frame body doesn't provide me at a bargain. Most of those reasons involve being able to mount larger than M mount native lenses. So in my opinion, those lenses definitely go together with the M depending on your subset of needs.

I respect and appreciate what the Sony compacts bring to the table. I only mentioned them to bring into perspective what the relative cost of the M was and to exhibit its cost to value ratio (and that mounting full size lenses is a major part of that value) in comparison.

Would you hire a photographer shooting with M + adapter + EF/S lens for your wedding?

Failing to see the fundamental of M could end up in a long discussion ;)

Let our conversation cont here: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=16610.0

« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 10:43:35 PM by Dylan777 »

Policar

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2013, 11:11:58 PM »
This is the sharpest APS-C zoom I've used and the M is sharper than the 7D for sure...

But how the hell do you handhold the M (with any lens) so that it's steady. I can't for my life.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2013, 11:11:58 PM »

JohnDizzo15

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2013, 01:21:57 AM »
@Dylan - see you in the linked thread.

@Policar - Enable the touch focus/shutter actuation. Works great for me in most cases.

BL

• 7D
  • Great gear is good. Good technique is better.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2013, 01:09:11 AM »
@Policar - Enable the touch focus/shutter actuation. Works great for me in most cases.

+1.  i have never found a use for touch focus/shutter until now.  i actually pair it with the 2sec timer and it gives me a moment to stabilize.  granted, most everything i shoot does not move.
M, 5Dc, 1Dx, some lenses, a few lights

DRR

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2013, 10:53:12 AM »

7. Magic Lantern capable

The M was designed as compact camera, easy to carry around. Putting L lens on M will take that purpose away. Period.

What next, battery grip for M?

Here is a correction for your statement. The M was designed as a compact large sensor interchangeable lens camera.

Saying it was designed as a compact camera is not incorrect but only tells half the story. If compact is what you're after, buy a s100 or a G1x or a G15 (G16 now). However, none of those cameras have an APS-C sensor, and none of them have interchangeable lenses.

So while putting larger glass does take the purpose of compactness away, you still retain the larger sensor than any of its competitors, and you still retain the ability to choose what lens you want via the mount.

Policar

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2013, 11:53:14 PM »
I can't believe how sharp this combination is. At 18mm f1.8 center sharpness and contrast is unreal... The 7D never did this! Trounces the 7D 17-55mm f2.8 IS combination and it's a stop plus faster! If only AF weren't dead slow.

I'm tempted to lose the Mark III.... My best lenses are APS-C. :( But the Mark III is still a bit sharper under ideal circumstances. In fact I might have to try that out and see...
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 11:54:49 PM by Policar »

bholliman

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2013, 07:25:04 AM »
I can't believe how sharp this combination is. At 18mm f1.8 center sharpness and contrast is unreal... The 7D never did this! Trounces the 7D 17-55mm f2.8 IS combination and it's a stop plus faster! If only AF weren't dead slow.

Do you have the EF-M 18-55 also?  If so, how does its IQ compare with the Sigma 18-35?
Bodies:  6D, EOS-M (22/2 and 18-55)
Lenses: Rokinon 14mm 2.8, 35mm 2.0 IS, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8L IS Macro, 135mm 2.0L, 24-70mm 2.8L II, 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, Extenders: EF 1.4xIII, EF 2xIII ; Flash: ST-E3-RT, 600EX-RT (x3)

Policar

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2013, 12:19:24 PM »

Do you have the EF-M 18-55 also?  If so, how does its IQ compare with the Sigma 18-35?

I don't have it... Seemed too big at the time and redundant with whatever else, especially since I like the 22mm focal length.

My guess is both are great.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2013, 12:19:24 PM »

Rienzphotoz

• Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2013, 01:58:13 PM »

+1000000
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

9VIII

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2013, 01:43:26 AM »

At first I don't understand what's the big deal with people's amusement of mounting a big EF lens on the M, then I realize they just don't use a lens big enough to experience the same thing on a DSLR. I have a 70-200 2.8 II, and when mounted to a bigger DSLR like the 5D, you still end up mostly supporting the weight of the setup by holding the lens. So mounting the same lens to the M is no different.

Then why are we giving up DSLR AF speed & tracking for mirrorless again?

Having both a big lens on a big camera makes for an incredibly large object in all three dimensions. My 5D2 with battery grip on an 85f1.4 pretty much won't fit anywhere comfortably. On the other hand, when I put the Pancake on the 5D2 I can actually slip it into a lot of places without much issue since it's relatively flat in one dimension.
Now do the same thing the other way around. It's easy to carry around a large lens if there's no camera on the back. If they made an EOS-M that was just a circle sticking out the back of the lens it would make my 400f5.6 incredibly portable compared to what it is with an SLR mounted to it.
-100% RAW-

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2013, 01:43:26 AM »