April 16, 2014, 02:16:00 AM

Author Topic: Canon is going to add mid format  (Read 8365 times)

M.ST

Canon is going to add mid format
« on: August 12, 2013, 01:34:49 AM »
Yes. It´s true.

Canon is looking for a mid format brand and in negotiations with one of them.

canon rumors FORUM

Canon is going to add mid format
« on: August 12, 2013, 01:34:49 AM »

J.R.

• 1D X
  • A Speedlight Junkie!
    • View Profile
Re: Canon is going to add mid format
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 01:35:22 AM »
Source?

Also whether CR1, CR2 ... what?
Light is language!

Haydn1971

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 01:54:24 AM »
Source?

Also whether CR1, CR2 ... what?

Front page of CR is a good place to start - no CR number though - personally, I'm not convinced, MF is better, but one wonders if the investment would be more about killing the competition ?
Regards, Haydn

:: View my photostream on Flickr, Canon EOS 6D, EOS M ,  16-35mm II, 24-70mm II, 70-300mm L, 135mm f2.0 L, 22mm f2.0, Lensbaby, EOS M adaptor, Cosina CT1G film SLR & 50mm f2.0 lens

bycostello

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • London Weddings
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 07:56:22 AM »
i've enough mps... can't see the point of any more unless shooting for advertising or something...

zim

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 08:38:00 AM »
i've enough mps... can't see the point of any more unless shooting for advertising or something...

I agree, was wondering though if there could be any tech that would come with the acquisition that would be more useful that the actual format?

Caps18

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 09:07:41 AM »
I'm sure landscape photographers and Gigapan people will welcome this news.  :)

I wonder if Nikon would have to buy a different Medium Format company if this happens.
5D mark 2, 16-35mm f/2.8, 17mm TS-E f/4, 85mm f/1.8, 300mm f/4 + 1.4x, 580 EX Flash

Don Haines

• 1D X
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 09:17:21 AM »
It's not the body it's the Lenses. A medium format body has a lot more space to fit in all the electronics than a DSLR does..... And Canon already is very good at packaging DSLR's. realistically, take a 1DX, slap in a larger sensor and fit the electronics into a bigger body, and you have a medium format camera.

The problem is lenses. Canon would have to come out with another complete line of high end lenses... And that takes time to design and facilities to manufacture... And at the same time as it is trying to update most of it's L-glass and already running into production volume problems.

I can't see Canon starting from scratch, but I can see them going into business with Hasselbad and thereby getting access to a lot of fine lenses. If Canon does come out with a body, my bet is that Hasselbad lenses will mount on it.
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 09:17:21 AM »

LewisShermer

• Rebel T5i
  • point shoot hope
    • View Profile
    • Business!
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 09:38:41 AM »
I was discussing this a few months ago on this forum and was basically shot down...

It would be great to have a medium format canon series. Yes it would probably just be for professionals and no you don't need the extra pixels for weddings/sports/birds in flight. I know I need them for larger billboards in airports or down the sides of buildings. A price point around the £8,000 to £12,000 mark would be great as it'll be lower than the hasselblads. an all in 1 system would be great rather than the phase 1/mamiya separates system. I want a massive mirror with a huge loud flop and I want to have the old school look down view finder.

Yes they'd make/design new lenses. But that's what a company does, builds stuff and we buy it if it fits out needs. MF is the new FF and I welcome it's possible return to affordableness.
5Diii, 60D, 500D, EX580, loads of crappy flash guns... 28mm 1.8, Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art, 50mm 1.4, 100mm macro 2.8, 24-105mm 4L, 70-200mm 2.8L, lensbaby composer...

www.lewismaxwell.co.uk

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 09:46:33 AM »
Why not, only they haven't completely done some basics first: upgrade 100-400, 400 5.6, 35 1.4, create a 24 1.4 III with less vignetting and MUCH LESS coma, upgrade the 45 and 90 TS lenses, improve their sensors, improve their DO lenses,  to name a few  ;D

Granted they have done a lot and I am a Canon fan but still there is room for improvement  ...  ::)

Danielle

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 09:55:33 AM »
I find this news interesting. Could be great news depending where it leads.

However if its hasselblad, that may not be so easy. Hasselblad is in partnership with Carl Zeiss. I'm willing to suggest without them, it will be a partnership with death. Schneider Kreuznach will no doubt not touch them, this leaves what logical option? I can think of one, but it's unlikely.

Medium format being possibly affordable? No, I wouldn't be betting that regardless.

I could be wrong, but this sounds like a big hypothetical rumour. That's it.

Don Haines

• 1D X
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 10:00:35 AM »
I was discussing this a few months ago on this forum and was basically shot down...

It would be great to have a medium format canon series. Yes it would probably just be for professionals and no you don't need the extra pixels for weddings/sports/birds in flight. I know I need them for larger billboards in airports or down the sides of buildings. A price point around the £8,000 to £12,000 mark would be great as it'll be lower than the hasselblads. an all in 1 system would be great rather than the phase 1/mamiya separates system. I want a massive mirror with a huge loud flop and I want to have the old school look down view finder.

Yes they'd make/design new lenses. But that's what a company does, builds stuff and we buy it if it fits out needs. MF is the new FF and I welcome it's possible return to affordableness.

I think it would take a monumental effort to start from scratch.... Not saying they couldn't, but it would be hard. That's why I see some kind of deal with Hasselbad as a likely sign.

Look at micro four thirds....  Several second tier companies got together, cooperated, and they are now the dominant player in mirror less cameras.... The lenses can go anywhere....  Why not the same for FF?

Think about it.... Canon makes a deal with Hasselbad to share the mount.... Canon makes a medium format body and starts selling it. MF sales jump, Hasselbad bodies might take a drop in sales, but the lens sales would skyrocket.... Both companies make out like bandits....

P.S.... If you carried around a 4X5 camera and a stack of film holders, medium format is tiny.
The best camera is the one in your hands

Normalnorm

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 10:01:39 AM »
While Canon could easily purchase any one of the struggling MF manufacturers I see no compelling reasons to do so. Unit sales for the entire category are tiny.
They could bring the price down like Pentax did with their 645D but that didn't really convince many to step up to MF. Reducing price would further pressure them to meet higher sales volumes.

The only reason is to pick the pockets of hobbyists who believe that a bulky, slow and expensive camera system will magically transform their LOLcat photos into art.
The IQ issues are not relevant even for images printed large in an art gallery. Billboards can (and have been done) with 5MP cameras to great effect.
The IQ race is largely over, we are now just quibbling about the smallest details that, in truth, are largely invisible. It is true that some studio applications are still better served by MF but then that is also in conjunction with a view camera.

So tell me again why MF has a future?
BTW, I have used digital MF and come from a history of view camera and medium format ownership and use so I have seen the the world change. IMO it has been all for the best.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 10:03:30 AM »
Keep in mind that this may be a purely financial move on Canon's part.  It's possible (probable, even) that if they buy an established medium format brand, they won't rebrand the line as Canon, but rather keep the current brand intact, but streamline marketing and distribution channels to save costs and increase profit.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 10:03:30 AM »

RLPhoto

• 1D X
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 11:53:38 AM »
Nice. I would like to use leaf shutters again.  :D Maybe bugeted version like a the Pentax 645D.
24LII - 50L - 135L
---------------------------------
www.RamonLperez.com

LewisShermer

• Rebel T5i
  • point shoot hope
    • View Profile
    • Business!
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 12:40:55 PM »

I think it would take a monumental effort to start from scratch.... Not saying they couldn't, but it would be hard. That's why I see some kind of deal with Hasselbad as a likely sign.

Look at micro four thirds....  Several second tier companies got together, cooperated, and they are now the dominant player in mirror less cameras.... The lenses can go anywhere....  Why not the same for FF?

Think about it.... Canon makes a deal with Hasselbad to share the mount.... Canon makes a medium format body and starts selling it. MF sales jump, Hasselbad bodies might take a drop in sales, but the lens sales would skyrocket.... Both companies make out like bandits....

P.S.... If you carried around a 4X5 camera and a stack of film holders, medium format is tiny.

Yeah, that's why I find it hard to comprehend people complaining about the size and weight of a 5D
5Diii, 60D, 500D, EX580, loads of crappy flash guns... 28mm 1.8, Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art, 50mm 1.4, 100mm macro 2.8, 24-105mm 4L, 70-200mm 2.8L, lensbaby composer...

www.lewismaxwell.co.uk

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 12:40:55 PM »