April 18, 2014, 08:02:09 AM

Author Topic: Advice: extension tubes Macro  (Read 5731 times)

rpt

• 1D X
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
Re: Advice: extension tubes Macro
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2013, 09:11:44 AM »
get the kenko tubes. They are relative cheap and give a wide range of extension stacking options
+1 on that!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2013, 09:11:44 AM »

photonius

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2013, 10:44:13 AM »
One should get a set of close up lens as well extension tube,close up lens normally come in sets of 3

If you talk about the cheap single lens close-up sets, no, they are not recommended. They deliver poor IQ at higher magnifications.
Achromat doublet close-up lenses are much better, see also samples here:
http://photonius.wikispaces.com/Close-up+%26+Macro

Indeed, for an archeological site in the MidEast with presumably lots of dust, a close-up lens on the front may be better than adding/removing extension tubes (the dust issue mentioned).

A set of Raynox lenses (4.8 and 8 diopters) should give good extra magnification on the 100mm macro, and it should have a relatively easy snap-on holder.

eli452

• Canon AE-1
  • When you have to shoot shoot don't talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2013, 03:01:32 AM »
Does anyone have tried connecting the Kenko extension tube to TS-E lens (24 mk II specificly)?
Kenko specify "compatible with Canon EF and EFS lenses"
the Canon original (mk II) state "Compatible with digital EF-S lenses, as well as EF and TS-E lenses"
(the quote is from the B&H site

Eli
7D; 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye; 100mm f/2.8L macro; TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II; 24-105 f/4L; EF-S 10-22mm; 70-300mm f/4-5.6L; 50mm f/1.4, 600EX-RT & ST-E3-RT; lots more stuff.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2013, 08:29:27 AM »
Does anyone have tried connecting the Kenko extension tube to TS-E lens (24 mk II specificly)?
the Canon original (mk II) state "Compatible with digital EF-S lenses, as well as EF and TS-E lenses"

Interesting that B&H states that, because I do not recall Canon having stated that the extenders are compatible with TS-E lenses.  In fact, while they are physically compatible, they are not fully electronically compatible in that the TC changes the f/number, and that is not correctly reported in the EXIF (the TS-E lenses lack the additional pins necessary for communication with the TC).

Although I have not tried it, there is no reason a Kenko TC shouldn't work with the TS-E lenses.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

eli452

• Canon AE-1
  • When you have to shoot shoot don't talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2013, 09:39:52 AM »
The canon page for the TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II names the Extension Tube EF 12 II as an "Supplies & Accessories" option.
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/ef_lens_lineup/ts_e_24mm_f_3_5l_ii#SuppliesAndAccessories
and the "compatible products" link names all but the 17mm TS-E lens.
7D; 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye; 100mm f/2.8L macro; TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II; 24-105 f/4L; EF-S 10-22mm; 70-300mm f/4-5.6L; 50mm f/1.4, 600EX-RT & ST-E3-RT; lots more stuff.

surapon

• 1D X
  • 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2013, 10:12:32 AM »

Interesting that B&H states that, because I do not recall Canon having stated that the extenders are compatible with TS-E lenses.  In fact, while they are physically compatible, they are not fully electronically compatible in that the TC changes the f/number, and that is not correctly reported in the EXIF (the TS-E lenses lack the additional pins necessary for communication with the TC).

Although I have not tried it, there is no reason a Kenko TC shouldn't work with the TS-E lenses.

Dear Teacher, Mr. Neuroanatomist.
I just read my Manual Book for my TS-E 24 mm F/ 3.5 L MK II =
"13.  Extension Tubes( Eng-19)
For TS-E 24 mm F 3.5 L II . You can attach extension tube EF 12 II for magnified shot-----The extension tube EF 12 II cannot used  with TS-E 17 mm F/4 L.
Although Extension Tube EF 25 II can be attached on TS-E 24 mm F/ 3.5 L II. It is not recommended because the Lens-to-subject distant will be very short."

Surapon

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2013, 10:21:08 AM »
The canon page for the TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II names the Extension Tube EF 12 II as an "Supplies & Accessories" option.
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/ef_lens_lineup/ts_e_24mm_f_3_5l_ii#SuppliesAndAccessories
and the "compatible products" link names all but the 17mm TS-E lens.

My apologies - you wrote "Kenko extension tube" and I read Kenko extender (aka teleconverter).  Sorry for the confusion!

Pretty much any extension tube is physically compatible with pretty much any lens - an extension tube is just a hollow tube filled with air, and most have pass-through electrical contacts.

The compatibility issue with tubes comes from the fact that they increase magnification by decreasing the minimum focus distance, which also means a decreased working distance (distance from front element to subject).  The added magnification is the ratio of focal length / tube length.  With a longer tube on a shorter lens, it's possible that the MFD is reduced to the point where it's actually behind the front element, meaning you can't focus on the subject at all.  That's why you can't use the EF 12 tube with the TS-E 17mm.

Since the Kenko tubes come as a set, you'll be able to use the shorter one(s) with the TS-E 24mm, but not the 36mm tube, and not with them stacked as you can with longer lenses.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2013, 10:21:08 AM »