June 24, 2018, 09:14:31 AM

Author Topic: Thinking of getting a Mac Air or a MacBook Pro...can't decide, thoughts?  (Read 29884 times)

dhachey77

• PowerShot G1 X II
Re: Thinking of getting a Mac Air or a MacBook Pro...can't decide, thoughts?
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2013, 12:43:43 PM »
OP here...

i'm hoping they reduce the weight further in the mbpro.

and as previous posters have mentioned...weight is a big deal to many, and for me.

OK, I'm an unapologetic technology junkie.  I admit it and have no plans to change.  I have the 11" MBA, 13" MBA and 15" MBP, but use them for different purposes.  For complex travel photography (5 weeks in Namibia), I use the 11" MBA.  For local travel photography and business use I carry either the 13" MBA or 15" MBP.  I use the 11" MBA mainly for quick and dirty viewing and culling images in the field before storing a days work on two portable hard drives, in addition to keeping the original files on the CF cards.  All my serious editing is done on a 27" iMac or a 30" Mac Pro. The extra 3 lbs of the 15" MBP over the 11" MBA really matters to me in the field. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2013, 12:43:43 PM »

Zv

• EOS-1D X Mark II
    • Zeeography (flickr)
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2013, 01:04:24 PM »
Couldn't you upload, view and delete images on say an iPad or another tablet device while out on location? I really wish there was some kinda Lightroom app for the iPad that let you do some kind of cloud computing. Or even just better (read free) tethering apps. Surely someone out there can develop a simple wired tethered shooting app that just shows you the picture you just took?

But I guess a cheap and light laptop can do more.

Am I the only one who only has one laptop? What's all this talk about having three and a desktop?

Oops I forgot to recommend something! I would say MBPro with as much RAM as you can get. The pro is already pretty light compared to some laptops (like my sony brick). If I had the cash I'd switch to the MBpro.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 01:11:20 PM by Zv »
Move along nothing to see here!

Botts

• EOS M5
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2013, 03:43:38 PM »

I have the 15" Retina display MB Pro. I am using it for editing in the field and generally I am very happy with it. At home I have the 27" iMac. There are very few instances where I end up reediting images that have been through Lightroom on the MB Pro. The Retina display is excellent. The Air is lighter, but not that much more. The difference is less than my RRS BH-55 ball head ...

Depending on the newness of your iMac, I'd seriously get a thunderbolt cable to use display sharing.  That way you can use the iMac as a 27" Cinema Display for your rMBP.
6D, Sigma 35/1.4, 40STM, 50/1.4, 70-200/4 IS, 430ex II
T2i, 17-55/2.8 IS, 270ex

Botts

• EOS M5
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2013, 03:47:41 PM »
OP here....I've been waiting for the new MB pro to be announced. (should be any day now)  I wanted to see the specs before I bought either.

and as previous posters have mentioned...weight is a big deal to many, and for me.

I've got friends in engineering in Cupertino, and keep up on the gossip, currently, I'd expect a Haswell based rMBP and MBP, but neither with a new form factor.  Way better battery life, 802.11ac, and faster to be sure, but certainly not lighter or slimmer.  There may be a chance at seeing a 13" rMBP with discrete graphics though.
T2i, 17-55/2.8 IS, 270ex

Northstar

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2013, 08:49:58 PM »
OP here....I've been waiting for the new MB pro to be announced. (should be any day now)  I wanted to see the specs before I bought either.

I've got friends in engineering in Cupertino, and keep up on the gossip, currently, I'd expect a Haswell based rMBP and MBP, but neither with a new form factor.  Way better battery life, 802.11ac, and faster to be sure, but certainly not lighter or slimmer.  There may be a chance at seeing a 13" rMBP with discrete graphics though.

good to know botts!  thanks.
Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

Northstar

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2013, 08:55:04 PM »
Couldn't you upload, view and delete images on say an iPad or another tablet device while out on location? I really wish there was some kinda Lightroom app for the iPad that let you do some kind of cloud computing. Or even just better (read free) tethering apps. Surely someone out there can develop a simple wired tethered shooting app that just shows you the picture you just took?

Am I the only one who only has one laptop? What's all this talk about having three and a desktop?

Oops I forgot to recommend something! I would say MBPro with as much RAM as you can get. The pro is already pretty light compared to some laptops (like my sony brick). If I had the cash I'd switch to the MBpro.

i have been using an ipad to do this as you've described..the editing on iPad with the retina display is pretty good using snapseed...it's just the transfering of 300 to 500 images from the camera to the iPad which is so slow, and then if you want to delete the images off the iPad it's ridiculous...you have to jump through hoops to do something that should be so easy.   

leaning toward the AIR right now...
Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

Zv

• EOS-1D X Mark II
    • Zeeography (flickr)
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2013, 10:38:53 PM »

i have been using an ipad to do this as you've described..the editing on iPad with the retina display is pretty good using snapseed...it's just the transfering of 300 to 500 images from the camera to the iPad which is so slow, and then if you want to delete the images off the iPad it's ridiculous...you have to jump through hoops to do something that should be so easy.   

Exactly right? I mean why has no one created a way to make this easy on an iPad yet? It could do so much more!! Infuriating!
Move along nothing to see here!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2013, 10:38:53 PM »

t.light

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2013, 01:05:13 AM »
I bought the 13" rMBP with SSD last december and did not regret. Very fast and the display is so much better then MB-air and has the same pixel count as my 27" iMac I use at home. I work with LR5 and PS. Back home I just merge the libraries. Editing pictures on retina display needs getting used to, though.

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2013, 05:22:32 AM »

Exactly right? I mean why has no one created a way to make this easy on an iPad yet? It could do so much more!! Infuriating!
I think eventually they will make it work ... its just a matter of time.
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

Botts

• EOS M5
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2013, 12:22:36 AM »

Apple making Aperture for the iPad is an absolute necessity, or Adobe making Lightroom for iPad would rock too.

The big reason why there isn't a pro iPad photo app yet might just be device size.  There are some 128GB iPads floating around in customers hands now, but not many.

As someone who shoots a lot, that's not enough space for me for a weekend of shooting.  For pro's shooting sports, or weddings or other high-volume events, again, it's not a lot of space.

T2i, 17-55/2.8 IS, 270ex

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2013, 08:43:49 PM »

Apple making Aperture for the iPad is an absolute necessity, or Adobe making Lightroom for iPad would rock too.

The big reason why there isn't a pro iPad photo app yet might just be device size.  There are some 128GB iPads floating around in customers hands now, but not many.

As someone who shoots a lot, that's not enough space for me for a weekend of shooting.  For pro's shooting sports, or weddings or other high-volume events, again, it's not a lot of space.
and also apples refusal to add usb host functionality is a death knell for them, there are plenty of android devices i can hook up a 500GB SSD via an OTG USB cable and have all the space i want...
and the said android device has a high res ips display quad core processors takes micro Sd cards and has direct mini HDMI port and it cost $120...
APS-H Fanboy

Botts

• EOS M5
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2013, 02:24:36 AM »

and also apples refusal to add usb host functionality is a death knell for them, there are plenty of android devices i can hook up a 500GB SSD via an OTG USB cable and have all the space i want...
and the said android device has a high res ips display quad core processors takes micro Sd cards and has direct mini HDMI port and it cost $120...

It may be a death knell to your use case, but Apple has always done a good job since the iMac at picking a target market and absolutely controlling it. If they wanted to get into the "pro" side I'm sure they'd succeed, but as of right now they seem happy with their market.
T2i, 17-55/2.8 IS, 270ex

KKCFamilyman

• EOS 7D Mark II
    • Nicholas J Allo Photography
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2013, 08:04:36 AM »
Everyone responded to the laptop solution. If you want a tablet there are 2 good options being released this month.

Microsoft surface 2 has usb 3.0 support and a 1080p screen with 46% improved color accuracy over last years pro. They have ability to view and some basic ipad like editing. Most importantly with a hub and a reader you could review and save to an external hd.

The surface 2 pro has the above but will run lr ps if needed. Has the options of up to 8gb ram and 512gb internal storage.

So those are better for in the field then an ipad.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2013, 08:04:36 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2013, 09:14:13 AM »
Microsoft surface 2...

The surface 2 pro has the above but will run lr ps if needed. Has the options of up to 8gb ram and 512gb internal storage.

I've had a look at the original Surface, I wasn't terribly impressed.  I looked at in the Microsoft Store in a local mall, where I was one of four customers in the store (we were outnumbered by employees 2:1, and none of us bought anything).  Four stores down is the Apple Store, where somewhere between 80-100 customers were filling the space, with at least 25% of people walking out the door with a new purchase).  The dichotomy was not a unique occurrence - it's that way every time I happen to be at the mall. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M6, lots of lenses

dstppy

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2013, 09:54:20 AM »
Microsoft surface 2...

I've had a look at the original Surface, I wasn't terribly impressed.  I looked at in the Microsoft Store in a local mall, where I was one of four customers in the store (we were outnumbered by employees 2:1, and none of us bought anything).  Four stores down is the Apple Store, where somewhere between 80-100 customers were filling the space, with at least 25% of people walking out the door with a new purchase).  The dichotomy was not a unique occurrence - it's that way every time I happen to be at the mall.

For someone that owns a ton of apple things, I really can't stand apple stores.  Danbury CT is like a cross between a starbucks where people drop their kids/teenagers off to be entertained and a Dave and Busters . . .

They got a winning formula though; I still even go in there for necessary evils:
1) Same-day purchase requirements
2) Getting free tech support/repair estimates

The one thing that struck me as a modern marvel of the NY store: the air circulation system.  I have moderate issues with crowds and the one thing that struck me is that I wasn't recoiling from stale air/odor that comes with lingering people indoors.

Microsoft Store in Danbury is exactly as you describe. Went in the day after Black Friday for a sale that was supposedly on for the Xbox (still advertised on the site) and the first two people I asked had no clue.  The third said it wasn't on anymore, I tipped my hat and never returned.  Wonder why it's not working ;)
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2013, 09:54:20 AM »