July 31, 2014, 08:30:50 AM

Author Topic: Lee Big Stopper  (Read 4667 times)

dppaskewitz

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Lee Big Stopper
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2013, 11:17:11 AM »
A second one would sure cone in handy right about then...   ;)

Agreed.   8)
5Dc; 6D; M; several lenses.  Enthusiast.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2013, 11:17:11 AM »

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
  • Easily intrigued :)
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2013, 01:45:15 PM »
Mine is in the mail  :)
I have a question: does the big stopper come with the tin? I don't think a pouch will be adequate protection.
BTW

Got mine yesterday for Christmas. It was in a Tin box. I agree on the level of protection, but I just put it in the pouch that came with the system holder.

Btw. I do not understand why the adaptor rings come in anything other than wide... What is there to gain from a non-wide adaptor ring?
1Dx, 5DII w/grip, 3x600 EX RT, ST-E3
Canon: 8-15L, 16-35L II,  24-105L , 70-200L IS II, 17L TS, 135L, 100L, 2x III TC, 40 F2.8 STM, 50 F1.4. Sigma 35 F1.4 Art, Sigma 85 F1.4, Sigma 150-500.
www.500px.com/gerhard1972

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2013, 02:01:30 PM »
Btw. I do not understand why the adaptor rings come in anything other than wide... What is there to gain from a non-wide adaptor ring?

Instead of gaining, think of getting the non-wide rings as losing less - the wide ones cost more.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2013, 02:49:35 PM »

Instead of gaining, think of getting the non-wide rings as losing less - the wide ones cost more.

That might very well be, but beside a negible price difference, you stand to win nothing by going for the non-wide solution..., but on the contrary, you win a great deal in areas of use, imho
Canon: 8-15L, 16-35L II,  24-105L , 70-200L IS II, 17L TS, 135L, 100L, 2x III TC, 40 F2.8 STM, 50 F1.4. Sigma 35 F1.4 Art, Sigma 85 F1.4, Sigma 150-500.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2013, 07:58:45 PM »

That might very well be, but beside a negible price difference, you stand to win nothing by going for the non-wide solution..., but on the contrary, you win a great deal in areas of use, imho

Just pointing out the only advantage. While it's negligible in absolute terms, the 77mm WA ring costs double the standard.  I agree the WA is a better choice, and that's why all my adapters are that type.

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2013, 08:01:30 AM »

Just pointing out the only advantage. While it's negligible in absolute terms, the 77mm WA ring costs double the standard.  I agree the WA is a better choice, and that's why all my adapters are that type.

I agree :) I know you have talked about your 24TS before. Have you tried the Lee on TS lenses? I am debating buying the lens adaptor for the 17TS. Any experiences I can benefit from shooting filters on these type of lenses?

I have just gotten my system, only to realise that I need much more :) Tomorrow I am buying the three soft grad NDs (.3, .6. and .9), as I only have a .6 ND, and a .6 hard grad ND (in addition to the big stopper and round circular polarizer). I also got the small beautiful book Inspiring Professionals II, - a great inspirational book.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2013, 12:43:35 PM »
I agree :) I know you have talked about your 24TS before. Have you tried the Lee on TS lenses? I am debating buying the lens adaptor for the 17TS. Any experiences I can benefit from shooting filters on these type of lenses?

Yes, with the 24mm.  The Lee adapter for the TS-E 17 doesn't allow the full range of TS movements without vignetting, but if you can live with that it looks like a good option.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2013, 12:43:35 PM »

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2013, 02:40:58 PM »
I have a question: does the big stopper come with the tin? I don't think a pouch will be adequate protection.
BTW

Got mine yesterday for Christmas. It was in a Tin box. I agree on the level of protection, but I just put it in the pouch that came with the system holder.

I guess I'll have to wait for mine indefinitely. Mine was supposed to be delivered on the 24th, but I was supposed to leave that day for Oregon so I requested it to be re-routed. Now it is supposed to be delivered on the 2nd, the day I am supposed to return from Oregon. I wonder what to do, but in any case I shall not be shooting Oregon waterfalls this time, and that's a big bummer :(
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2013, 03:22:01 AM »
BTW

I guess I'll have to wait for mine indefinitely. Mine was supposed to be delivered on the 24th, but I was supposed to leave that day for Oregon so I requested it to be re-routed. Now it is supposed to be delivered on the 2nd, the day I am supposed to return from Oregon. I wonder what to do, but in any case I shall not be shooting Oregon waterfalls this time, and that's a big bummer :(

I hear you and feel for you.

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2013, 10:20:24 AM »
BTW

And I'm happy for you- hopefully we will get to see some nice long exposures in your beautiful collection!
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2013, 10:37:33 AM »
BTW

And I'm happy for you- hopefully we will get to see some nice long exposures in your beautiful collection!

Thank you :)

If there is any consolation, the weather here in Oslo this Christmas is pretty awful. Twice I have tried to go out to test the new gear, both times I had to return without any pictures due to heavy rain.....

I have already mentioned the book in this thread, Inspiring professionals II. I am just done reading it, and it is great. Some great landscape photographers who shares their experiences and the filter setup. I now have to buy the first of these books :) When not being able to shoot due to weather, book are a nice substitute :)

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2013, 03:47:53 AM »
BTW

If there is any consolation, the weather here in Oslo this Christmas is pretty awful. Twice I have tried to go out to test the new gear, both times I had to return without any pictures due to heavy rain.....

I have already mentioned the book in this thread, Inspiring professionals II. I am just done reading it, and it is great. Some great landscape photographers who shares their experiences and the filter setup. I now have to buy the first of these books :) When not being able to shoot due to weather, book are a nice substitute :)

Thanks for the information on the book, I'll try and find it.
By the way, a good friend of mine posted some nice shots of the golden sunlight at Trondheim!

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2013, 11:51:10 AM »
BTW

By the way, a good friend of mine posted some nice shots of the golden sunlight at Trondheim!

Using filters? Please give a link :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2013, 11:51:10 AM »

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2013, 09:36:38 AM »
BTW

Using filters? Please give a link :)

Oh no no :). He is a scientist- he just shoots occasionally for fun. These are snapshots that I mention- I was thinking of sunshine in Trondheim while it rains in Oslo.

dlleno

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2014, 11:51:22 AM »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2014, 11:51:22 AM »