August 01, 2014, 10:22:44 AM

Author Topic: More Medium Format Talk [CR1]  (Read 14069 times)

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: More Medium Format Talk [CR1]
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2013, 10:06:21 AM »
ignoring all other posts, this would at least give justice to all the fuzz about big MP sensors being tested in the wild...So, is the new 1Ds the 1MF?
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2013, 10:06:21 AM »

Bruce75

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
idea from metabones?
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2013, 01:52:44 PM »
Maybe we are going to have the equivalent of metabones to adapt L lenses on the canon medium format...

dryanparker

• Rebel T5i
  • Fine art photographer based in Miami.
    • View Profile
    • D RYAN PARKER Fine Art Photography
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2013, 02:38:56 PM »
ignoring all other posts, this would at least give justice to all the fuzz about big MP sensors being tested in the wild...So, is the new 1Ds the 1MF?

My question is why they'd really need to go all-in MF when they can produce pretty solid FF technology approaching 50MP? That alone may pull a few MF users back to FF.

I hope they make it affordable.

How about it Canon? World's first affordable MF-system? That would get it to world dominating levels in no time.

The only reason to why me and everyone I know haven't bought MF, is because it is too damn expensive.

Well, as long as you don't mind shooting film (like me), the Mamiya RZ67 system is quite affordable these days. ;)  Honestly though, flawless RZ gear sells for about 15-20% of its original cost. Pretty incredible.
5D3, 24-70L II, TS-E 24L II, Zeiss ZE 15 T* // X100S
www.dryanparker.com

Caps18

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2013, 02:43:40 PM »
It all depends on how many MP they can get into a FF camera compared to how many MP they could get into a MF camera.

I'm sure there are professional phtographers that will buy a high megapixel Canon MF, especially if they can use some of their existing lenses.
5D mark 2, 16-35mm f/2.8, 17mm TS-E f/4, 85mm f/1.8, 300mm f/4 + 1.4x, 580 EX Flash

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2013, 02:49:34 PM »

My question is why they'd really need to go all-in MF when they can produce pretty solid FF technology approaching 50MP? That alone may pull a few MF users back to FF.

I hope they make it affordable.

How about it Canon? World's first affordable MF-system? That would get it to world dominating levels in no time.

The only reason to why me and everyone I know haven't bought MF, is because it is too damn expensive.

Well, as long as you don't mind shooting film (like me), the Mamiya RZ67 system is quite affordable these days. ;)  Honestly though, flawless RZ gear sells for about 15-20% of its original cost. Pretty incredible.

Maybe they plan on bigger for MF ---something in the 80mp range.  If they can make 50 mp FF sensors, then 80 + mp mf sensors shouldn't be that hard. 

My guess is it will be pricey though.  If the 1 series bodies are in the 7k range, then expect over 10k - more $$$ than pentax, but less than hasslebad/leica...just guessing
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

dryanparker

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2013, 02:53:34 PM »
It all depends on how many MP they can get into a FF camera compared to how many MP they could get into a MF camera.

I'm sure there are professional phtographers that will buy a high megapixel Canon MF, especially if they can use some of their existing lenses.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but pros won't be able to use their FF lenses on an MF body. It's an issue of the narrower image circle in FF lenses. My guess is if Canon made an EF mount on an MF body, you'd get some serious vignetting, which negates the value of an MF sensor. Bottom line: MF lenses are built differently than FF lenses.

Perhaps the TS-E lenses would show better results since they have larger image circles?
www.dryanparker.com

dryanparker

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2013, 03:00:35 PM »

Maybe they plan on bigger for MF ---something in the 80mp range.  If they can make 50 mp FF sensors, then 80 + mp mf sensors shouldn't be that hard. 

My guess is it will be pricey though.  If the 1 series bodies are in the 7k range, then expect over 10k - more $$$ than pentax, but less than hasslebad/leica...just guessing

Phase One IQ and Leaf Credo backs both come in 80MP versions...they're roughly $40k. That puts a new Phase One system at 80MP in the neighborhood of $65k.
www.dryanparker.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2013, 03:00:35 PM »

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2013, 03:52:01 PM »
This WILL happen.  I'm no expert, but the writing is on the wall IMO...

Canon needs growth.  But where?  Mirrorless, DSLR is flat.  Point & Shoot is declining due to Smartphones.  I think FF is going to get MUCH cheaper because APS-C will compete with smartphones.  It's only a matter of time when you'll be able to set aperture/iso and shutter on them.  So I think APS-C will die in 5 years.  There is growth potential in video as more photographers are adding it to their arsenal.  But that won't be too much growth really.

Medium Format.  But how to do this is tricky.  They can buy let's say Phase One.  And that will show growth.  But only for a year or two because they are only buying already established customers.  Or, they can build their own MF cam and gear.  This is a longer term, better route.  But there is an initial big investment in infrastructure.  So they may show a loss the first 2 - 3 years to recoup cost, but may have good growth for another 7 - 10 years.  Taking Phase One/Hasselblad/Leica users.  This is of course, that their option is equally if not better and with a good cost savings.  Which I think Canon would do.  I would say they would price one around $15k.  That could kill the big MF players.

Ok, I'm still a noob and learning my way around my first DSLR, the 5D3.

Aside from hearing the term Medium Format camera, I don't know much about it...just that it has higher resolution.

Why would a MF camera, especially if put out in a more main stream market like Canon would be doing...cost fscking $15K or more?!?

I was guessing they are pricey due to being a low sales niche type camera, but if it went main stream production why would it not cost closer to the ballpark price of a higher end DSLR?

What makes them so expensive?

Cayenne

wockawocka

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Wedding Photography
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2013, 04:15:32 PM »
My dream camera is a high iso 22mp medium format one.

*Throws money at screen*
1DX, 5D3 and Hasselblad H Series owner.

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2013, 04:22:13 PM »

What makes them so expensive?

Cayenne

The relatively huge (by comparison) sensor, and everything that goes along with that.

alexanderferdinand

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2013, 05:12:13 PM »
The digital MF is too small to make money out of it.
And I dont see this as a growing market..... even our FF are a minority in the world of fotography.
Even Canon will not persuade too many to buy a MF.

LDS

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2013, 05:39:40 PM »
MF market is a small one, but it's a professional one - where users can spend a lot if they can see a real benefit in a product. MF is all about quality for demanding users in fields like fashion, advertising, arts, etc - images that may be shown at much larger sizes than the A4/A3 format, or reproduced carefully in very high quality prints.
A "cheap" MF line would find almost no customers, MF cameras are bulkier and less comfortable to use, and their lenses as well, DSLRs are better for most users, while professionals won't accept less quality.
If Canon will ever decide to target that market, of course the only way to get its market share is to deliver state-of-the-art sensors (60M+), cameras, and lenses. Not a simple jump for a company with little or no experience in the field, IIRC Nikon produced lenses for MF and LF cameras, while Canon never did.

gmrza

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2013, 07:19:41 PM »
The digital MF is too small to make money out of it.
And I dont see this as a growing market..... even our FF are a minority in the world of fotography.
Even Canon will not persuade too many to buy a MF.

I think you have hit the nail on the head here - MF is a tiny niche.  A very large proportion of the film MF market moved to FF DSLRs when they became a viable alternative.  MF digitial has really become a niche for those who have a business need for very specific image qualities.

Canon would probably only go into MF digital if that entry somehow enhanced its ability to sell DSLRs or to cover the cost of developing technology for DSLRs.  As a standalone business unit, it makes no sense.  An acquisition in this space would somehow need to be integrated with the rest of Canon's imaging business, and help to drive the business as a whole forward. That is no small challenge.
Zeiss Ikon Contax II, Sonnar 50mm f/2, Sonnar 135mm f/4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2013, 07:19:41 PM »

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2013, 07:22:38 PM »

.....and the size, bulk, weight, and lethargic focusing and frame rates makes them unsuitable for anything that moves. I suppose that doesn't matter, though, for the hoards of landscape photographers on there ;D

Stuff an MF sensor in a 35mm body and I'm game :)

RGomezPhotos

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Ricardo Gomez Photography
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2013, 07:58:59 PM »

.....and the size, bulk, weight, and lethargic focusing and frame rates makes them unsuitable for anything that moves. I suppose that doesn't matter, though, for the hoards of landscape photographers on there ;D

Stuff an MF sensor in a 35mm body and I'm game :)

The Leica S2.

I played with one at one of my local camera shops.  When all the reps from all the companies were there showing off all their gear.  Leica was represented.  I tell ya...  I played with the Canon 1DX, 5D3 and a Nikon D4...  But the Leica S2 impressed me the most.  I took some stupid, simple picture in the store with it..  And I was BLOWN AWAY by the image.  The colors were so rich and detailed.

When I become a full time fashion/commercial photographer, I'll be picking one up an MF camera.  The technological limitations of digital MF make it too limiting and expensive for most other types of photography that I have to make money on like portraits for regular people and events. 

But if Canon were to come out with something that is REALLY close to MF....  :-D
EOS 5D MKII & 50D, Zeiss 50mm f1.4
www.ricardogomezphotography.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2013, 07:58:59 PM »