August 28, 2014, 09:47:51 PM

Author Topic: More Medium Format Talk [CR1]  (Read 14484 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
More Medium Format Talk [CR1]
« on: August 13, 2013, 04:07:10 PM »

This and that

A few people have written in to confirm that Canon is exploring the possibilities of entering into the medium format segment.

We’re told nothing is imminent, but things could change quickly in the next few months. How long this has been going on is unknown, but it does sound like it’s a real possibility.

No one has confirmed or denied that Phase One is the medium format company in question.

Over at NL, they received an outright dismissal to the concept. However, a second source said Canon is going to be all in, and will announce in a big way some time in 2014.

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

More Medium Format Talk [CR1]
« on: August 13, 2013, 04:07:10 PM »

niklasR

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Re: More Medium Format Talk [CR1]
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 04:10:31 PM »
"No one has confirmed or denied that Phase One is the medium format company in question."

………
But mentioned?  8)

Normalnorm

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 04:21:39 PM »
Sorry, count me as a skeptic.

What seems to be driving this is a wishful thought or utterance by someone that then gets circulated in the net gaining "credibility" by repetition.
Someone at Canon can inadvertently stoke this fire by saying "We have no comment".

This is mother's milk conspiracy theorists that are convinced that this is a peek under the cloak of silence on Canon's MF plans and aspirations.

When they unveil their MF world domination tour I will then have egg on my face. Until then I call baloney.

Ricku

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 04:55:37 PM »
I hope they make it affordable.

How about it Canon? World's first affordable MF-system? That would get it to world dominating levels in no time.

The only reason to why me and everyone I know haven't bought MF, is because it is too damn expensive.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 04:57:44 PM by Ricku »

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 05:01:12 PM »
When they unveil their MF world domination tour I will then have egg on my face. Until then I call baloney.
Egg.... Baloney.... Now I'm hungry for the truth.... Or at least a fried egg and bologna sandwich....
The best camera is the one in your hands

rumorzmonger

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 05:05:00 PM »
It would be really great if Canon could purchase the tooling, etc., from Kyocera (or whoever it now belongs to) and revive the Contax 645 line...
Nikon D800E, Nikon D7100, Fuji XE-1, Nikon FE2, Olympus OM-4Ti, OM-1 MD

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 05:50:19 PM »
Interesting. One known source says 100% no way and the other known source says 100% yes in a big way.  ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 05:50:19 PM »

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 06:12:51 PM »
Someone was just dying to put the Canon logo onto a MF body weren't they?

chauncey

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 06:47:17 PM »
Price is a minor concern...an inability to utilize my collection of canon glass  has been a deciding factor.

Aaron78

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 07:08:45 PM »
Interesting. One known source says 100% no way and the other known source says 100% yes in a big way.  ;D

So,i guess it's 50/50 ;D

RGomezPhotos

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Ricardo Gomez Photography
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 11:22:00 PM »
This WILL happen.  I'm no expert, but the writing is on the wall IMO...

Canon needs growth.  But where?  Mirrorless, DSLR is flat.  Point & Shoot is declining due to Smartphones.  I think FF is going to get MUCH cheaper because APS-C will compete with smartphones.  It's only a matter of time when you'll be able to set aperture/iso and shutter on them.  So I think APS-C will die in 5 years.  There is growth potential in video as more photographers are adding it to their arsenal.  But that won't be too much growth really.

Medium Format.  But how to do this is tricky.  They can buy let's say Phase One.  And that will show growth.  But only for a year or two because they are only buying already established customers.  Or, they can build their own MF cam and gear.  This is a longer term, better route.  But there is an initial big investment in infrastructure.  So they may show a loss the first 2 - 3 years to recoup cost, but may have good growth for another 7 - 10 years.  Taking Phase One/Hasselblad/Leica users.  This is of course, that their option is equally if not better and with a good cost savings.  Which I think Canon would do.  I would say they would price one around $15k.  That could kill the big MF players.
EOS 5D MKII & 50D, Zeiss 50mm f1.4
www.ricardogomezphotography.com

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zee-bytes
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 12:05:35 AM »

Canon needs growth.  But where?  Mirrorless, DSLR is flat.  Point & Shoot is declining due to Smartphones.  I think FF is going to get MUCH cheaper because APS-C will compete with smartphones.  It's only a matter of time when you'll be able to set aperture/iso and shutter on them.  So I think APS-C will die in 5 years.  There is growth potential in video as more photographers are adding it to their arsenal.  But that won't be too much growth really.

Medium Format.  But how to do this is tricky.  They can buy let's say Phase One.  And that will show growth.  But only for a year or two because they are only buying already established customers.  Or, they can build their own MF cam and gear.  This is a longer term, better route.  But there is an initial big investment in infrastructure.  So they may show a loss the first 2 - 3 years to recoup cost, but may have good growth for another 7 - 10 years.  Taking Phase One/Hasselblad/Leica users.  This is of course, that their option is equally if not better and with a good cost savings.  Which I think Canon would do.  I would say they would price one around $15k.  That could kill the big MF players.

I doubt sports photographers will be using smartphones to cover field sports or wildlife photographers for that matter. APS-C is here to stay for a while. It offers a high quality vs low price option to those who need the reach. Yeah you can can use 1DX but that isn't always an option for regular people who still want fast fps. And then there's the photographers who have an APS-C body as a back up. Just look at the anticipation and demand for the 7D2.

This MF thing will likely amount to nothing. I don't thing there is a huge market for it right now though perhaps Canon are making some enquiries about it as part of their R&D program. Why wouldn't they? They are in the imaging business after all and need to explore all their options.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 12:07:07 AM by Zv »
5D II | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14mm f/2.8 | Sigma 50 f/1.4

EOS M | 22 f/2 | 11-22 IS

CarlMillerPhoto

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 01:21:26 AM »

I have no idea what you're talking about.
My photography equipment goes here, apparently.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 01:21:26 AM »

alexanderferdinand

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 03:12:23 AM »
I would like to see an affordable MF system by Canon.
I had several analog, and loved the IQ.
BUT: its a very small market, making profit would be difficult.
And Canon is not known for non- profit thinking or strategy.

Pitbullo

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 03:46:18 AM »
If Canon buys a MF company, it could be to get their tech and patents, and still have the option to make a MF camera relatively cheap (dont need to develop everything in house, as lenses) if they want to get into that market later on.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 03:46:18 AM »