September 15, 2014, 08:58:41 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Body $2545  (Read 4346 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Body $2545
« on: August 13, 2013, 04:19:49 PM »

via eBay

BigValueInc (98.2% Approval) is selling the Canon EOS 5D Mark III body for $2545 via eBay.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Body $2545 (Compare at $3499)

*Please Note

This sale includes 2 non Canon LP-E6 batteries as well as a non Canon LP-E6 charger. A 32gb SD card and reader are also included.

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Body $2545
« on: August 13, 2013, 04:19:49 PM »

Etienne

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Steve Brule
Re: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Body $2545
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 04:43:03 PM »
Holy crap!
btw ... what's the best deal anyone has seen on a 1DX?

Janbo Makimbo

• EOS M2
  • 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 05:17:40 PM »
How low will the Mark III go......?

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 05:20:05 PM »
What's the scoop on this?

Is this a grey market camera? US warranty?

C

gimmeadeal19

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 05:30:33 PM »
Link does not work. Too good to be true?

dhachey77

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 05:32:17 PM »
You have to be kind of careful with these guys.  I bought a 5D3 from them a month ago.  It was pulled from a bundle, but included everything AND a US warranty.  Completely satisfied!

Then I bought a 16-36 lens from them last week, hoping for the same treatment.  It came with European documentation and NO warranty card!  Boo.  Lens works fine though, so I'll take a chance on it.  I've only had one Canon lens die on me in 45 years, so I'm doing well overall.

...Dave

ablearcher

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 05:34:43 PM »
This is a good price, but most likely no USA warranty. Also, quite likely a white box (not a big deal though). I got mine last year at $2600 after i was lucky to sell well the 24-105L kit lens (full price for the kit was $3500). However, mine was not a grey market and came with USA warranty and as a standard retail package. IMO we might see some official price reduction next year, but atm the best deal is to find a buyer for the kit lens and then purchase a kit from an authorized dealer.
Canon 7D; Canon 5D MKIII; Canon EF-S 10-22mm; Canon 50mm 1.8; Canon 28mm 1.8; Canon 85mm 1.8; Canon 24-105mm 4.0 L; Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L II IS; Canon 135mm 2.0 L; Canon 35mm 1.4 L.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 05:34:43 PM »

modenadude

• SX50 HS
  • www.flickr.com/modenadude
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 05:48:06 PM »
Took me so long to write this that other people have already commented haha

BigValueInc is closed right now (5pm eastern) but the last time they had an auction like this (looks like July 26 when they had 150 items, but I called on July 18 when they also had 150 items) I called in and the person on the other end stated that that item was gray / not Canon USA. Can't say for sure about this one, but anything this inexpensive does not usually have USA warranty. Here's the auction that I called in on July 18th -- notice how it doesn't mention anything about being USA or not, but this current auction that this post is about (http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=231032219900) says it's "Item is Brand New, USA merchandise." under the Terms and Conditions! So not sure what to make of that!

Checking out BigValueInc's rating on auctions that included a 5D Mark III, it looks like most of the buyers were happy with their purchases, with most giving positive feedback (a couple of the dozens of ratings gave negative feedback on August 5th -- "Incorrect and misleading information. Seller not interested in buyer concern" and "5D mark 3 was NOT new" so take that as what you want them to mean).

There were at least three mentions of warranty in the feedback from the ones I looked at. One came on August 1st (for that July 26 auction) by riccatech and said "Super fast shipping to NY. Item was as described. US Version. A+++" while another on the same date by scubaphoto904 said "Warranty Inflation not properly disclosed nor described". Another interesting feedback comment came from barrybelkin on July 18 for a July 10th auction http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III-22-3MP-Digital-SLR-Camera-Body-/360689883182 that said "As advertised. Registered warranty on line without any problem."

So! Whether it does in fact have a USA warranty? Who knows for sure, since they're closed, and by the time they'll be open, this batch will be sold out (100 or 150 is usually the batch they carry, it looks like).

You have to be kind of careful with these guys.  I bought a 5D3 from them a month ago.  It was pulled from a bundle, but included everything AND a US warranty.  Completely satisfied!

Then I bought a 16-36 lens from them last week, hoping for the same treatment.  It came with European documentation and NO warranty card!  Boo.  Lens works fine though, so I'll take a chance on it.  I've only had one Canon lens die on me in 45 years, so I'm doing well overall.

...Dave

Which auction did you buy your 5D from dhachey77? July 10, 18 or 26?

Aaron78

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 07:12:34 PM »
They all should be USA cameras, however, they are not an authorized canon seller. That is why there technically isn't a valid warranty, but people have listed in the past that if they needed warranty work done that canon has honored the warranty.

sturdiva

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 07:45:34 PM »
I purchased a 5d3 from them last november for a similar price, item arrived in the kit box, without the 24-105, but with a usa warranty card, and I was able to register the camera online with CPS. Hope this helps.
Sometimes right, Sometimes wrong, but always certain.

PhotographAdventure

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • Snapshot Quality
    • View Profile
    • Harrisburg Wedding Photographer
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 08:22:29 PM »
I'm curious - does the 5D III tend to fail within 1 year?  Is that why a warranty is desired?

Harry Muff

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr:
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 08:25:00 PM »
I'm moving to Canada soon from the U.K. How does this work regarding taxes and stuff if I buy one and import it there?

I'm aware of all the grey market and warranty issues already.
Some cameras… With Canon written on them. Oh, and some lenses… Also with Canon written on them. Oh, and a shiny camera with Fuji written on it too...

Feel free to have a wander round my flickr

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 08:36:19 PM »
Holy crap!
btw ... what's the best deal anyone has seen on a 1DX?

Canon sells it refurb'd for $ 5439 with 1 year warranty, and I have seen it in stock several times while I was thinking about the 5DIII. It doesn't qualify for the CLP though, AFAIK.
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 08:36:19 PM »

cyoung315

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 08:43:27 PM »
>:(
Good evening everyone. I've been coming here for a few years reading and learning a lot, this is my first post. I STRONGLY URGE EVERYONE NOT TO BUY FROM BIGVALUEINC! I like a great deal as much as the next guy but please read what happened to me TODAY!
I purchased the 5D (body only) from Bigvalueinc a little over a week ago, it arrived and appeared to be used. The manuals and a few other accessories had been previously opened, in fact, the manuals did not have the usual sealed plastic around them. The camera would also not hold focus on a still object, it appeared to continuously back focus, at least 75% of the time. I returned it and received a replacement on Friday of last week. That camera also came with a few opened accessory bags and the buttons on the top of the camera all felt very VERY loose and well used.
Here we are at today. I called to set up a return and try one more time. I told the rep I would just place a new order as a means of expediting the shipment of the new camera. He said fine but they could not give me the deal I received a few weeks ago. As ridiculous as that was I pulled up the item and low and behold, it was the great deal they have running today! I showed my excitement, he placed me on hold for a few minutes, while he was gone I kept getting error messages when I clicked Buy Now or Add To Cart. When he came back to the phone he said the manager would make an exception and include the accessories in the camera they ship out a a replacement and I did not have to repurchase, great, right? No! The rep went on to say they would do so only if I revised my initial negative review regarding the first used camera! I asked him why I could not add anything to my cart and he kept playing dumb, saying he had no idea what was wrong. The rep kept asking me to write a revised review while we were on the phone, clearly saying things like 'we will send a replacement if you revise your review'...ridiculous! They sent me a 'review revision request' and a return shipping label.

I emailed them and said I would write the review only after I received the replacement camera and did not appreciate the 'you do this for us and we'll do this for you' approach they were taking. Bigvalueinc emailed me around 5pm today with a phone number they do not list on their page and asked me to call, they clearly did not want this exchange made available to eBay via email. When I called the rep (same guy from earlier today) said the following, "If you revise your original review we will replace the camera and provide the accessories, if you don't I cannot guarantee what the managers will do regarding your replacement." We went around for a while and he denied knowing anything about Bigvalueinc blocking my account from purchases, which they did and I had just finished confirming with an eBay customer service rep before I called.

Bottom line, eBay urged me to open an investigation into Bigvalueinc and they now have concerns about them selling used items. Guess what, nowhere in any of my email and phone exchanges with Bigvalueinc did they ever EVER deny selling used items and tell me I was mistaken!

Lastly, their stuff does not have the US Canon warranty on it, at least not deals like this. If you call their customer service and ask they will tell you something like it has 'our special import item' warranty or some nonsense like that. Look, I purchased 2 lenses from them last year and was perfectly happy with those purchases but this crap today shows they are incredibly small, underhanded and untrustworthy! Spend the extra $400 and buy the camera from other sellers and get the US warranty from an authorized reseller. You can buy the Opteka dual charger for $15 and 3 chipped high capacity batteries on eBay for about $25.  That SD card sucks and is not UHS so it really should not be used on a camera like the 5D anyway!
Yeah, you'll pay more than this deal but you know you're dealing with a reputable Canon reseller and not someone who does the unethical crap Bigvalueinc did to me today. So far on eBay the best price I've found from a certified reseller was PMI Digital. No, they are not $2550 but I'm sure I'll be getting the real deal with a US warranty and hopefully way better service!

Email if you have any questions, I'll be happy to respond.

dhachey77

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 08:51:20 PM »
Took me so long to write this that other people have already commented haha

BigValueInc is closed right now (5pm eastern) but the last time they had an auction like this (looks like July 26 when they had 150 items, but I called on July 18 when they also had 150 items) I called in and the person on the other end stated that that item was gray / not Canon USA. Can't say for sure about this one, but anything this inexpensive does not usually have USA warranty. Here's the auction that I called in on July 18th -- notice how it doesn't mention anything about being USA or not, but this current auction that this post is about (http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=231032219900) says it's "Item is Brand New, USA merchandise." under the Terms and Conditions! So not sure what to make of that!

Checking out BigValueInc's rating on auctions that included a 5D Mark III, it looks like most of the buyers were happy with their purchases, with most giving positive feedback (a couple of the dozens of ratings gave negative feedback on August 5th -- "Incorrect and misleading information. Seller not interested in buyer concern" and "5D mark 3 was NOT new" so take that as what you want them to mean).

There were at least three mentions of warranty in the feedback from the ones I looked at. One came on August 1st (for that July 26 auction) by riccatech and said "Super fast shipping to NY. Item was as described. US Version. A+++" while another on the same date by scubaphoto904 said "Warranty Inflation not properly disclosed nor described". Another interesting feedback comment came from barrybelkin on July 18 for a July 10th auction http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III-22-3MP-Digital-SLR-Camera-Body-/360689883182 that said "As advertised. Registered warranty on line without any problem."

So! Whether it does in fact have a USA warranty? Who knows for sure, since they're closed, and by the time they'll be open, this batch will be sold out (100 or 150 is usually the batch they carry, it looks like).

...Dave

Which auction did you buy your 5D from dhachey77? July 10, 18 or 26?

It was the July 10th auction. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 08:51:20 PM »