September 02, 2014, 08:36:12 AM

Author Topic: 6D logical upgrade from 7D?  (Read 12807 times)

papa-razzi

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: 6D logical upgrade from 7D?
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2013, 12:07:04 PM »
The 6D is not an "upgrade" from the 7D.  The cameras are designed for different purposes.

For Image Quality, FF sensor, low light shooting - the 6D is far superior.

For shooting action - FPS, Auto Focus - the 7D is far superior.

If you want both image quality and abiltiy to shoot action, then you must look at a 5D III or a 1Dx.

From what I have understood from the OP's post and responses in this thread, the 5D III is the camera that will satisfy.  I suggest keeping a sharp eye out for sales on the 5D III and pulling the trigger when it gets around $2,600 USD.  Save the money spent renting a 6D and put it toward a 5DIII.
7D  | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM | EF 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS USM |
EF 35mm f/2 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 85mm f/1.8

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2013, 12:07:04 PM »

PureShot

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2013, 01:19:41 PM »
 :-[ Auto Focus - the 7D is far superior :-[
the 6D  Auto focus is far superior, i worked last 3 years with 7D and 1 mount with 6D
only one place the 7D win is the fps speed for all other the 6D is so far better camera
don't waste your time to wait and take 6D !
look this photo at high iso, very low light on the pregnant girl
/0/]http://www.studio-photo.ca/galerie/photo-maternite-grossesse/#prettyPhoto[gallery-1]/0/
Pure Shot
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 01:23:40 PM by PureShot »

bholliman

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2013, 02:30:08 PM »
The 6D is a superior camera to the 7D for what the OP listed as intended uses.

...so, I'm not sure how the 6D qualifies as 'superior' for the intended use of shooting with the outer AF points in low light.  Speaking from substantial experience with the 5DII's non-cross-type outer AF points, and limited experience with the 6D, I would not rely on the outer AF points in low light.  The center point is a different story, but that's not what the OP is asking about.

Maybe I didn't ready TDL2024's post as thoroughly as I should have?  I recalled this statement:

I don't shoot sports, so a 1D series AF system probably isn't necessary.

But must have missed his last phrase here:

I've never had a camera that the center point wasn't the bee's knees....the only problem is I rarely use those points.

So, if the OP almost always uses the outer AF points, the 6D's AF system with 1 (excellent) center cross-type point and 10 vertical or horizontal points will not perform as well 7D with its 19 cross-type points.  The 6D's center point is better than any of the 7D's points, but the 6D's outer AF points are not as good.

If outer AF point performance is the primary criteria, the 5D3 (or 1DX) is really the only logical upgrade for the OP's 7D available now. 

« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 02:46:11 PM by bholliman »
Bodies:  6D, EOS-M (22/2 and 18-55)
Lenses: Rokinon 14mm 2.8, 35mm 2.0 IS, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8L IS Macro, 135mm 2.0L, 24-70mm 2.8L II, 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, Extenders: EF 1.4xIII, EF 2xIII ; Flash: ST-E3-RT, 600EX-RT (x3)

bholliman

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2013, 02:45:21 PM »
The 6D is not an "upgrade" from the 7D.  The cameras are designed for different purposes.

If you want both image quality and abiltiy to shoot action, then you must look at a 5D III or a 1Dx.

From what I have understood from the OP's post and responses in this thread, the 5D III is the camera that will satisfy.  I suggest keeping a sharp eye out for sales on the 5D III and pulling the trigger when it gets around $2,600 USD.  Save the money spent renting a 6D and put it toward a 5DIII.

+1
Bodies:  6D, EOS-M (22/2 and 18-55)
Lenses: Rokinon 14mm 2.8, 35mm 2.0 IS, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8L IS Macro, 135mm 2.0L, 24-70mm 2.8L II, 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, Extenders: EF 1.4xIII, EF 2xIII ; Flash: ST-E3-RT, 600EX-RT (x3)

TDL2024

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2013, 06:53:56 PM »
Well, the general consensus seems to be:

Center point on 6D - Blows away anything else
Outer points - iffy to downright bad

The unfortunate thing is I kinda need those outer points (specifically just the two on the right) to be 7D-ish in speed (cross type I guess).  I have a feeling I might end up looking for a deal on a 5DIII...

Thanks for the input guys!

Act444

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2013, 09:12:18 PM »
You know what - the 6D's outer points are just fine - when you are in good light. I had no trouble with the outer points in a moderately-lit indoor venue. However, if you are trying to focus on anything plain, or you are in low light, they will struggle. Need to use center point in those situations.

If you REALLY need solid, reliable performance from the outer points at all times, 6D is probably not your camera then.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 09:14:50 PM by Act444 »

Janbo Makimbo

• EOS M2
  • 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2013, 09:22:45 PM »

Yes it is....thats why I UPGRADED.... Image Quality, low light shooting (where it focuses much better than a 7D) are what is important.

I had the 7D since it came out, never ever used the high FPS.

Its a better camera than the 5D Mkii which was better than the 7D.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2013, 09:22:45 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2013, 09:32:53 PM »
Yes it is....thats why I UPGRADED.... Image Quality, low light shooting (where it focuses much better than a 7D) are what is important.

...what is important to you.  I think you forgot to add that part.  For someone with a 7D who shoots fast-moving sports, birds in flight, etc., would the 6D be an upgrade? No. A better sensor for low light doesn't help if the AF system can't track your subject...you'll just get low-noise blurry shots.

As I asked elsewhere, is a Mercedes SL550 convertible an 'upgrade' to a Ford F150?  Not for someone who needs to haul around loads of dirt or bricks every day...

Can you honestly say the outer AF points of the 6D perform better than those of the 7D?
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Janbo Makimbo

• EOS M2
  • 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2013, 10:06:08 PM »

...what is important to you.  I think you forgot to add that part.  For someone with a 7D who shoots fast-moving sports, birds in flight, etc., would the 6D be an upgrade? No. A better sensor for low light doesn't help if the AF system can't track your subject...you'll just get low-noise blurry shots.

As I asked elsewhere, is a Mercedes SL550 convertible an 'upgrade' to a Ford F150?  Not for someone who needs to haul around loads of dirt or bricks every day...

Can you honestly say the outer AF points of the 6D perform better than those of the 7D?

Well to be honest I did not buy the 6D for its outer points performance, no one would I read the specs and knew what I was getting. To date I have not had any major issues with the focusing points although I do concede that the 7D is far superior in most respects on focussing - apart from the killer 6D centre point ;)

I loved the 7D it was a very capable camera, its just that the 6D takes better pictures.

As I said I did not use the high FPS at all - how often do you use it ?

I take a range of pictures from Macro, portrait, landscape - although the &D was a great camera, top of the range APS-C camera, I do not believe that it is as good as the 6D - bottom of the range FF camera.

I use the 600ex-rt system - the 6D has additional features with the RT system that the 7D can't do - one of the reasons I bought it.

The WiFi is no gimmick and for remote  untethered shooting and the ability to display images in the field on an iPad once again a feature I really wanted.

Lastly and most importantly I wanted to go to a FF sensor.... something the 7D is nt - I could not afford a Mark III which is far superior to the 6D.

So all in all the 6D afforded me the upgrade path I wanted!!

Skirball

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2013, 11:43:11 AM »

As I said I did not use the high FPS at all - how often do you use it ?

There are people that use it quite often.  There are people that use it less often, but when they do they need it.

He's not debating any of the points you made about the 6D.  He’s simply pointing out that every point you made comparing the two are specific to your needs.  Not everyone has the same needs.
For the record, I own and love my 6D.  But I’d never compare it against a 7D for sports or fast moving subjects.

Jim O

• EOS M2
  • Driving the short bus
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2013, 11:57:26 AM »
For the record, I own and love my 6D.  But I’d never compare it against a 7D for sports or fast moving subjects.
+1

I love mine too. But I don't cover the Grand Prix, or even shoot indoor track events. I occasionally/rarely shoot birds, and the focus is fine, and the FPS is more than I need. Maybe I miss some shots, but not $1500 worth of shots. I used that money, and a bit more, to buy a 28-70 f/2.8L II. Better choice for me.
When people see you arguing with an idiot on the internet, all they see is two idiots arguing.

Act444

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2013, 11:58:20 AM »
Just acquired a second-hand 7d for use for sports/backup/reach. IQ wise it does not hold up to the 6D or current-gen FF but I didn't expect it to. (I can handle more noise in my sports shots if it gets me more reach and more pixels on my subject.)

To me, the 6D wins on IQ and versatility...the 7D wins on AF and speed. Different strengths and weaknesses...can't really say one camera is completely "better" than the other, but if I had to choose one, it would be 6D every time. Covers 80% of my needs (but completely inadequate for the other 20%, which is why I have both cameras)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2013, 12:15:51 PM »
To me, the 6D wins on IQ and versatility...the 7D wins on AF and speed. Different strengths and weaknesses...can't really say one camera is completely "better" than the other, but if I had to choose one, it would be 6D every time. Covers 80% of my needs (but completely inadequate for the other 20%, which is why I have both cameras)

That's really my main point, and it's why I had both a 5DII and a 7D, and why I now have a 1D X to replace both.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2013, 12:15:51 PM »

Act444

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2013, 12:47:52 PM »

That's really my main point, and it's why I had both a 5DII and a 7D, and why I now have a 1D X to replace both.

Yeah...perhaps the new 7D can be 1.3x crop with improved high-ISO performance...the 1D X being FF kills it for me as a sports cam (price too).

Actually, out of the cameras I have I'd choose the 5D3 over both the 6D and 7D if I was limited to just one. But all three serve a different purpose, even if just brief (as is the case of the 7D...)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 12:54:12 PM by Act444 »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2013, 12:50:33 PM »
Yeah...perhaps the new 7D can be 1.3x crop with improved high-ISO performance...the 1D X being FF kills it for me as a sports cam (price too).

APS-H is dead.   :P

I can see the price killing the 1D X as a sports cam, but not it being FF - the IQ of a 1D X image cropped to the 1DIV's FoV is as good or better than the 1DIV.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2013, 12:50:33 PM »