December 21, 2014, 01:17:32 AM

Author Topic: *UPDATE 2* Art Wolfe Confirms the 1Ds Mark IV?  (Read 14678 times)

Eagle Eye

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Art Wolfe Confirms the 1Ds Mark IV?
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2011, 06:26:26 PM »
Mr. Wolfe might very likely have inside knowledge of future products and as such, as mentioned, be subject to a strict NDA. However, the participants of his workshop are not. That's why I find it extremely hard to believe Canon would bring a yet undisclosed product to such an event.

+1.  Art was probably looking at his 1Ds MarK IV while writing the post and his subconscious got the better of him.
Gear! When do we get gear?!

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Art Wolfe Confirms the 1Ds Mark IV?
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2011, 06:26:26 PM »

alchera75

Re: *UPDATE* Art Wolfe Confirms the 1Ds Mark IV? - FALSE - It was a typo.
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2011, 07:04:25 PM »

So to confirm, it was a mistake, we were shooting with a 1D Mark IV - as well as IDS Mark III and numerous lenses and I mistakenly combined the names of these two backs in error.  Sorry for all the excitement.

Bill Edwards
Art Wolfe Inc.

Still does not make sense.  Why would you point out a "new" 1D Mark IV over anything else?  I would assume that the workshops have had numerous 1D Mark IV's brought in before ... new or otherwise ...

DavidRiesenberg

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • David Riesenberg
Re: *UPDATE 2* Art Wolfe Confirms the 1Ds Mark IV?
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2011, 07:26:22 PM »
Whatever the truth is in this particular incident, I think that the bottom line is one and the same. That is, we know that a 1Ds replacement is in developement (it would be madness otherwise) and even if it was present there it still does not tell us anything about a general public release date.

Redreflex

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2011, 07:30:26 PM »

<p><strong>From Art Wolfe’s Facebook Status</strong></p>
<blockquote><p>“I just wanted to extend an extra thank you to @Michael Gurley from Canon for bringing the keys to the candy store this past weekend for the workshop participants. Mike brought with him just about every Canon lens from the widest fish eyes, tilt shift, macro and on through through 800mm along with numerous backs including the new 1DS Mark 4. Everyone had a great time trying out new lenses and backs and we really appreciate it.”</p></blockquote>

It would have to be quite a typo. The original post supposedly read "THE new 1DS Mark 4"... even if there was a genuine typo error with the camera model, why would one use the word "the"? It should've read "a new... " if he was referring to an existing model. And the word "new" - does it even matter if it's new or used, since it's supposedly a current model?

All very odd.

waving_odd

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2011, 07:42:02 PM »
Let's face it.  These pro photogs have "THE" "NEW" "1D S Mark IV" for sure.

Their assistants accidentally (or purposely with whatever reason) leak the info and realize later it can be deep trouble due to the NDA.

If you were them, what will you do?

1. You must correct the post immediately.

2. You must make some lame excuses like "yeah I was talking about a new camera as opposed to a used one...  oops, I meant to say Mark III but IV is easier to type...  Ugh, don't you think people type DS faster than just D..."

3. You try the best to contact popular rumor sites to beg them to remove their posts too.

There is no big deal.  We all know the prototypes or pre-production models exist anyway.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 07:49:02 PM by waving_odd »

UncleFester

« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2011, 07:49:02 PM »
If it were in fact true that this was a typo, an addendum would have been more convincing than altering the original post, esp after making it here.

williamdedwards

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2011, 07:57:09 PM »
Well I was warned that no one would believe it was a mistake - conspiracy theorists and all - but seriously, that's all there is to it.  Art asked me to type up a thank you for the canon rep bringing out stuff for students to borrow, there were "new" 100 macro IS lenses, the new(er) 70-200 lenses and I just made a flat out mistake. Both with the word "new" and the "s" designation on the Mark IV.

I've given you the truth at this point. There were 27 students there all borrowing what they could get their hands on, if you think this is the kind of event that Canon is going to 'test out' secret new camera backs then there is really nothing I can say to convince you otherwise. 

People just make stupid mistakes from time to time and I'm one of them. Sorry for all the excitement/trouble it has caused.

regrettably,
Bill Edwards, AWI

PS - why point out the 1D MarkIV over everything else? It was the last thing I was talking about with Gavriel Jecan as he was shooting the sunset at 2nd Beach running through all of the ISO settings so he could get a feel for it's performance. So it stuck in my head over everything else and it sounded like it was performing really well.

Lastly - people here mentioned/asked what Art uses - he shoots with a 1DS MarkIII and 5D MarkII. He likes the 5D for the video capability which is lacking in the former.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 08:02:59 PM by williamdedwards »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2011, 07:57:09 PM »

etto72

« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2011, 08:44:17 PM »
Well I was warned that no one would believe it was a mistake - conspiracy theorists and all - but seriously, that's all there is to it.  Art asked me to type up a thank you for the canon rep bringing out stuff for students to borrow, there were "new" 100 macro IS lenses, the new(er) 70-200 lenses and I just made a flat out mistake. Both with the word "new" and the "s" designation on the Mark IV.

I've given you the truth at this point. There were 27 students there all borrowing what they could get their hands on, if you think this is the kind of event that Canon is going to 'test out' secret new camera backs then there is really nothing I can say to convince you otherwise. 

People just make stupid mistakes from time to time and I'm one of them. Sorry for all the excitement/trouble it has caused.

regrettably,
Bill Edwards, AWI

PS - why point out the 1D MarkIV over everything else? It was the last thing I was talking about with Gavriel Jecan as he was shooting the sunset at 2nd Beach running through all of the ISO settings so he could get a feel for it's performance. So it stuck in my head over everything else and it sounded like it was performing really well.

Lastly - people here mentioned/asked what Art uses - he shoots with a 1DS MarkIII and 5D MarkII. He likes the 5D for the video capability which is lacking in the former.

...if the 1Ds IV was a typo or misunderstanding .......
there would be no need to apologize....
or to hurry....

but of course if a confidential info is leaked by mistake......
one would hurry not to make the boos mad

right?

macfly

« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2011, 09:11:58 PM »
Makes total sense to me, but I really do hope Canon don't keep us waiting too much longer.

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2011, 11:09:31 PM »
or to hurry....

right?

I feel sorry for the guy posting the apology and then having comments like the above written...

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2011, 11:17:57 PM »
or to hurry....

right?

I feel sorry for the guy posting the apology and then having comments like the above written...

+1

A simple and very common typo, even Canon has done this on their website over the last two years.

april

« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2011, 11:20:51 PM »
 :( i believe all bits of info we are getting these days are just "TEASERS"... we know there are lots of prototypes out there being tested and even if somebody leak any info or even we see it with our own eyes, we can't do nothing other than wait anyway coz no matter how many good cameras canon makes they wont release it to store shelves unless they need to. so if their production and sale of the current dslrs' is still moving fast as people around the world are still buying them they don't need to introduce an upgrade or whatever since the current are still very popular... and besides i believe most of the guys who are wanting to see an upgrade of the 5d2 are not actually wanting a 5d3 they're just waiting for the upgrade to get the 5d2---ON SALE!!!! excuse me if i'm wrong but that's most of the people i know are waiting to do.

well...... typo or not the key thing still is "if canon will release it"

caruser

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2011, 01:58:53 AM »
No need to apologise — if there was a frenzy over a typo then it was because people enjoyed it, that's why they are on this site 8) Most of everybody else wouldn't have noticed and/or wouldn't have cared, at least not until the official announcement is made!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2011, 01:58:53 AM »

photogaz

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Photogaz
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2011, 02:26:05 AM »
Look at it from both sides people.

1. The consumer who get really excited when something like this happens, especially when a great effort is made to squash the apparent typo.  Can you blame people for pointing this out, after all are the ones that buy the cameras and support the brand.  Without us Canon etc would be nowhere.

2.  Canon or their NDA partners.  Canon could be seriously affected from a share point of view by mistakes like this.  NDA's are more important and strict than ever now with modern social networking etc. Can you blame them for trying to put a lid on it or getting serious over NDA breaches (by the way I'm not suggesting this is an NDA breach).

Stuart

• EOS M2
  • Hi there, welcome from a photo fan.
    • View Profile
    • JackAllTog on ePhotozine
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2011, 05:15:11 AM »
@williamdedwards, thanks for such a comphrensive answer and explaination.
I hope today is more relaxed for you.
Best wishes
Stuart.
Canon 60D, 24-105, 50 F1.8. 430EX II.
Sigma 10-20, 70 F2.8, 70-300. Studio.
Giotto tripod, Hoya filters.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2011, 05:15:11 AM »