July 31, 2014, 02:08:31 PM

Author Topic: 600ex as main lights  (Read 6146 times)

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
Re: 600ex as main lights
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2013, 02:19:43 PM »
Just a couple of additional thoughts.

I had the Yongnuo 622C flash triggers and four 580EXII and sold them when the refurbished store started carrying the 600 EX.

The Yongnuo triggers were great, but it was just one more thing to add to the set up, one more set of batteries to keep charged up and one more attachment to synchronize.  And, of course, one more thing to check if something wasn't working properly. Having the radio trigger and flash in one unit is a small, but important consideration.

The 580IIs have been holding their prices pretty well and since I bought most of mine used, I was able to sell them for not much of a loss.

Two things I don't like about the 600 RT is that with the 7D (or any camera before 2012) you cannot use the camera's menu screen to set radio transmission and you are limited in the sync speed (1/125th for 7D) with radio transmission.

I have no experience with Yongnuo strobes. The reviews on the internet are mixed. Some people swear by them, but others have complained that some models are susceptible to sudden and early burnout of the flash tube. Although I don't shoot portraits for pay, I am very cognizant of the need to convey credibility and professionalism. After going through the trouble of setting up a formal portrait shoot I would be mortified if my strobe wasn't working. Of course there is no guarantee that a 600 EX won't go down, but the odds are much more slim.

Of course, I'm still bitter that Canon did not release a receiver or transceiver that would allow persons to use the 580II with the 600RT on radio control. Given the price of the ST-E3 RT there is no reason why it could not have been designed as both a transmitter and a receiver.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2013, 02:19:43 PM »

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2013, 04:08:04 PM »
Not to hijack your thread, OP, but this is an area of personal interest and there appears to be a lot of wedding/portrait professionals contributing...

I am torn between a 600 EX-RT on-camera or an ST-E3...

If the ST-E3 had focus assist - it would probably win me over...

But I like the idea of a 600EX up there with focus assist AND providing a very light fill... What I am not thrilled about is its size/weight... Here's hoping Canon comes out with a smaller flash, with focus assist, that can act as an RT master...

I'm guessing the next RT units Canon comes out with to pair with the 600's...will not be able to be masters..but will sell for cheaper prices, due to this fact. Something akin to the old 480's I'm guessing...?

C

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2013, 04:30:29 PM »
Two things I don't like about the 600 RT is that with the 7D (or any camera before 2012) you cannot use the camera's menu screen to set radio transmission and you are limited in the sync speed (1/125th for 7D) with radio transmission.

I'm using 600rts with the 60d, and it works @full x-sync speed and radio transmission just fine, at least so far, though I've only got the set for two weeks. And I'm ok with using the flash lcd to set things, I'd do this anyway rather than search for a submenu item on the camera lcd.

The one thing I'm really annoyed about is that only 2012+ cameras can use group mode w/o any apparent reason, the 60d can use radio, and you can even *set* the group mode function on the flash but the camera keeps resetting it - sounds like a Canon marketing quirk to me, surely this could have been fixed.

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2013, 05:24:09 PM »

I'm using 600rts with the 60d, and it works @full x-sync speed and radio transmission just fine, at least so far, though I've only got the set for two weeks. And I'm ok with using the flash lcd to set things, I'd do this anyway rather than search for a submenu item on the camera lcd.

The one thing I'm really annoyed about is that only 2012+ cameras can use group mode w/o any apparent reason, the 60d can use radio, and you can even *set* the group mode function on the flash but the camera keeps resetting it - sounds like a Canon marketing quirk to me, surely this could have been fixed.

Whilst the pre 2012 bodies will work at original sync speed, they don't offer true full sync via wireless, if you look at the bottom of your images shot at full sync with wireless you will have a band, like this test shot of a white wall (ignore the top right corner). Might not be so bad with crop cameras but with a 1Ds MkIII I get this at 1/250 with wireless.

More often than not it is not a problem, but it is there.

As for the separate wireless trigger and older/cheaper flash setup, well it is cheaper for very good reason. The 600's are incomparable to anybody that uses speedlites professionally, I used various types of third party triggers for years but bought into the RT system and it is a game changer, even on my pre 2012 bodies. If you shoot for money, especially weddings, buy once and get the RT system, with a complimentary Einstein or two for bigger jobs.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2013, 05:32:54 PM »

I'm using 600rts with the 60d, and it works @full x-sync speed and radio transmission just fine, at least so far, though I've only got the set for two weeks. And I'm ok with using the flash lcd to set things, I'd do this anyway rather than search for a submenu item on the camera lcd...

Whilst the pre 2012 bodies will work at original sync speed, they don't offer true full sync via wireless, if you look at the bottom of your images shot at full sync with wireless you will have a band...Might not be so bad with crop cameras but with a 1Ds MkIII I get this at 1/250 with wireless.

More often than not it is not a problem, but it is there...

Thanks. To be honest, I have not tried shooting the 7D at a higher sync speed. I made the mistake of reading the manual and it says, "Also, when using the flash with a film or digital camera released up to 2011, the following restrictions apply.
1. The flash sync speed is 1 increment slower
Check the flash sync speed (X = 1/*** sec.) of your camera, and shoot with a shutter speed up to a maximum of 1 stop slower than the flash sync speed (Example: When X = 1/250 sec., radio transmission wireless shooting is possible from 1/125 sec. to 30 sec.)..."

I guess I never tested it to see if they were exaggerating or not, since the shots I do are mostly indoors without significant ambient light so 1/125 is not a problem to me. (Hey, I'm still well trained from film days to shoot at 1/60th with strobes)
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2013, 04:09:20 AM »
Whilst the pre 2012 bodies will work at original sync speed, they don't offer true full sync via wireless, if you look at the bottom of your images shot at full sync with wireless you will have a band, like this test shot of a white wall (ignore the top right corner).

Thanks for the sample shot - is this banding consistent with your 1d3, or does it show only on occasion? It is not a big shadow, but I'd wager to say that I'd have noticed by now if the crop 60d would show such a behavior, at least if the problem occurs not only very seldom.

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2013, 11:42:21 AM »

Whilst the pre 2012 bodies will work at original sync speed, they don't offer true full sync via wireless, if you look at the bottom of your images shot at full sync with wireless you will have a band, like this test shot of a white wall (ignore the top right corner). Might not be so bad with crop cameras but with a 1Ds MkIII I get this at 1/250 with wireless.

More often than not it is not a problem, but it is there.

As for the separate wireless trigger and older/cheaper flash setup, well it is cheaper for very good reason. The 600's are incomparable to anybody that uses speedlites professionally, I used various types of third party triggers for years but bought into the RT system and it is a game changer, even on my pre 2012 bodies. If you shoot for money, especially weddings, buy once and get the RT system, with a complimentary Einstein or two for bigger jobs.

How are you integrating 600's with Einsteins?  How are you getting them work work/trigger together?

I've been curious about that...

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2013, 11:42:21 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2013, 11:51:06 AM »
How are you integrating 600's with Einsteins?  How are you getting them work work/trigger together?

Built-in optical slave trigger on the Einstens is one easy way.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2013, 04:14:44 PM »

I've been curious about that...

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

600's via a hotshoe mounted 600 or ST-E3-RT and the Einstein via the Cyber Commander and the PC port with Cyber Sync's, full remote intelligent wireless control over everything up to 15 600's and 16 Einsteins at the same time! Not that I have anything like that. You can use a long PC cable and put the Commander in your pocket or use a short one and tape it to your camera etc.

You can use dumb triggers for the Einstein too via the PC port.

So...the Cyber Commander controls the Einsteins AND the 600's too? You trip the shutter and the cyber commander activates the Einsteins AND the 600EX-RTs?

Or am I confused? PC port?

I'm a noob...please help me to sort out what I'm missing here.

Thank you!!

C

gjones5252

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2013, 06:30:13 PM »
Awesome! these are some great replies.
I went ahead and ordered the st-e3 .
As i start using the 600 wirelessly what softbox/reflectors can anyone recommend? i think there is value in only buying stuff once but there is also the reality of a budget.

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2013, 07:21:19 PM »
I'll never go back to 580's. They are dead to me with my 600RT's.

You can do most of your weddings and events with just the speedlites but If you want those nice big modifiers, Strobe's are still the way to go.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2013, 10:01:25 PM »
As i start using the 600 wirelessly what softbox/reflectors can anyone recommend? i think there is value in only buying stuff once but there is also the reality of a budget.

I've got several Lastolite softboxes, they're excellent.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

DarkKnightNine

• EOS M2
  • The best camera is the one that's with you.
    • View Profile
    • Marven Payne Creative Visuals
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2013, 11:56:37 PM »
I'll never go back to 580's. They are dead to me with my 600RT's.

You can do most of your weddings and events with just the speedlites but If you want those nice big modifiers, Strobe's are still the way to go.

I would have to agree. Speedlites (especially the 600EX-RT) are excellent if you know how to use them off camera, but if you want to use large modifiers, by the time you buy enough Speedlites to illuminate them properly, you'd probably be better off with something like the Broncolor Move (Head and battery pack).
Canon 1DX, Canon 5D Mark III, EF 85mm F1.2L II USM, EF 100mm F2.8L IS USM Macro, EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM, EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM, EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM, 600EX-RT Speedlites, Profoto Studio Strobes, and a whole lot of boat load of light modifiers.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2013, 11:56:37 PM »

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2013, 10:23:39 AM »
No, my camera has a PC port and a hotshoe, on which I mount a 600 or ST-E3-RT to control remote 600's. The PC port is on the side of my camera (see picture), though not all Canon cameras have them, this is connected to the Cyber Commander via a simple cable.

The hotshoe looks after the 600's, the PC port looks after the Einsteins.

Thank you VERY much for that!!

I have the 5D3 too...I'd not seen or tried to use that port.

Strange, your covers for the ports..seem to split in the middle, mine is one continuous piece of plastic/rubber, with only one attachment to the camera at the upper portion of the panel.

C

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2013, 10:25:10 AM »

I've got several Lastolite softboxes, they're excellent.

I just got one of the cheaper versions of the Lastolite softboxes, by Impact. So far, looks to be a quality piece of gear....

C

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2013, 10:25:10 AM »