December 20, 2014, 04:56:01 AM

Author Topic: Your wishlist for your next body...  (Read 15178 times)

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
Re: Your wishlist for your next body...
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2011, 04:29:43 PM »
One simply thing. Aperture values blink on Canon cameras when light is too high or too low. I would like they would also have some kind of sound to alert about this. You should be able to configure this. I think that the sound of the cameras could be used to give them some functionalities.

For example, if the photo is overexposed and some part of the foto is completely white, sound alert. This way you can change the settings instead of taking some overexposed photos.

Talk about acoustic feedback to hawk eared subjects.... when I take pics of kids... it's hard enough to get them to focus without beeping sounds coming to them.

It should be a feature that could be configurable (volume, disable/enable it).
Sometimes you take a photo, i.e. a wedding and you overexpose the white dress. Maybe you take 3 or 4 photos until you check them and correct the exposure or the flash. It the camera could beep after taking the first photo you could realise of your problem and fix it.

If you don't want a camera full of beeps, then disable it. Vibration could be another way to do this.

I agree with you in principle... though for a given shoot (lets say outdoors) some areas will always get burnt in sunlight with a frame with good DR, so one might disable the constant notifications and then forget to put it on for the wedding pic...   ;)  The vibration is also an interesting option , though adding weight/cost and battery drain (Canon will opt for a beeper probably)...  perhaps might be implemented in a 1D body.
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2011, 04:29:43 PM »

markIVantony

« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2011, 05:35:57 PM »
built-in wifi (alternatively, dual card slots with a type of RAID striping mode would allow more writing throughput; just need the corresponding software to recombine data from two cards back into one at the computer)
Cool idea, you could double the speed of writing daa on the cards without buying bloody expensive CFs.

But imo there is no need for bit-operations. It would be quite enough to save the images on two cards alternatley...

Why would that be useful ?

Video can be recorded w/o bloody expensive CFs, and raws can be solved by switching cards after every photo, eliminating the need for special software to read the data.

When reading the "new camera wishlist" type of threads, I ran across many people complaining that they don't want more MP because it would require expensive/fast cards (particularly for a 1DMKIV-class).  Example: shooting 40 MP pics @ 10 fps.

So my wishlist in a new camera was targeted at that complaint.  RAID 0 is designed to increase performance by splitting the data written across multiple storage devices.  In basic terms, half the pic is written to card1; the other half to card2; in effect, you're only writing a 20MP pic to each card (using the example).  And of course you don't have to use it that way - it's an option.

KitH

« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2011, 06:34:34 PM »
Lots of good ideas posted already.

I'd like to see them put an electronic aperture control ring around the lens mount - like the old OM1 / OM2 did for shutter speed (if there's space) to make the videographers  happy with stepless aperture control where they want it, near the lens, but without everyone needing to splash out on a whole new series of video specific lenses. 

Then I'd ask for better integration with tethered displays using whatever new gadgets come along, such as the next generation iPad and the Galaxy S2 HD smartphones.  Those gadget manufacturers will improve screen performance and post-processing power much faster than Canon can.   Even better if it could be fastened to some hardpoints on the camera, and work with a viewfinder image that wouldn't be out of place in medium or large format.  Then there's the opportunity to share the workload of image processing between the in-camera chips and the tethered devices.   Maybe do a lot of the post processing right there which usually happens on the PC afterwards.  Things like perspective control in software, attaching metadata, geotagging, adding commentary for shot logging, rough cuts or news editing to squirt out over 3G, etc...  all of those become a lot easier. 

Noted the earlier postings mentioning patents and prior art.  None of this is new or especially patentable, it's just putting together pretty obvious things, which already exist, into the mix to open up some new ways of working.   

samthefish

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2011, 08:13:54 PM »
1st Priority:  More dynamic range!  HDR photos are cool but are a pain to take / process and the subject must be still generally.  This one feature would improve photo IQ better than any other.
2nd Priority: Wireless connectivity with cloud upload feature.  Imagine camera backing up your photos as soon as you're in a wireless hotspot.
3rd Priority: Better autofocus for moving subjects.  I've missed more good photos due to AI/Servo letting me down on the 7d than any other problem - and I hear the 7d has better AF than many of the bodies.
5D MK III, 7D, 24-105  4.0L, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100 2.8L Macro, 17-55 2.8, Tamron 10-22

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2011, 08:04:22 AM »
Lots of good ideas posted already.

... Then I'd ask for better integration with tethered displays using whatever new gadgets come along, such as the next generation iPad and the Galaxy S2 HD smartphones.  Those gadget manufacturers will improve screen performance and post-processing power much faster than Canon can.   Even better if it could be fastened to some hardpoints on the camera, and work with a viewfinder image that wouldn't be out of place in medium or large format.  Then there's the opportunity to share the workload of image processing between the in-camera chips and the tethered devices.   Maybe do a lot of the post processing right there which usually happens on the PC afterwards.  Things like perspective control in software, attaching metadata, geotagging, adding commentary for shot logging, rough cuts or news editing to squirt out over 3G, etc...  all of those become a lot easier. 

+1 

Canon should release SDK's for integration to iOS/Android, so that solutions like Promote / remote liveview and other functionality is seamless with the mobile devices.
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

J. McCabe

« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2011, 08:20:06 AM »
built-in wifi (alternatively, dual card slots with a type of RAID striping mode would allow more writing throughput; just need the corresponding software to recombine data from two cards back into one at the computer)
Cool idea, you could double the speed of writing daa on the cards without buying bloody expensive CFs.

But imo there is no need for bit-operations. It would be quite enough to save the images on two cards alternatley...

Why would that be useful ?

Video can be recorded w/o bloody expensive CFs, and raws can be solved by switching cards after every photo, eliminating the need for special software to read the data.

When reading the "new camera wishlist" type of threads, I ran across many people complaining that they don't want more MP because it would require expensive/fast cards (particularly for a 1DMKIV-class).  Example: shooting 40 MP pics @ 10 fps.

So my wishlist in a new camera was targeted at that complaint.  RAID 0 is designed to increase performance by splitting the data written across multiple storage devices.  In basic terms, half the pic is written to card1; the other half to card2; in effect, you're only writing a 20MP pic to each card (using the example).  And of course you don't have to use it that way - it's an option.

1. The issue isn't with the time it takes to record a single photo, but rather with taking several photos in continuous mode. In this case, how does writing the first half of each photo to one card and the second half to the other better than what I suggested ?

2. The issues I have with higher MP are not just card speed, but also card size (double the MP count, double the card size I need for the same number of photos), disk space, as well as RAM & processor speed required to process the photos.

Yes, some photographers need high MP. If the 5Dmk3 has more than 24MP, it would discourage me from upgrading.

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2011, 10:00:37 AM »
If the 5Dmk3 has more than 24MP, it would discourage me from upgrading.

Yes it would.... but c'mon, you'd still get one  ;)
EOS-5D Mk.iii 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2011, 10:00:37 AM »

J. McCabe

« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2011, 03:53:49 PM »

Want to put your money where your mouth is ?

rowanlamb

« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2011, 01:47:48 PM »
I'd really like to see some sort of stepless choice in resolution. The 5D mk2 obviously has smaller raw formats available, but the jump from full resolution down to 10mp is too far - I much rather an infinitely adjustable scale, controlled by the control wheel.

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2011, 09:30:48 AM »

Want to put your money where your mouth is ?

Resistance is futlie, we will all be assimilated !
EOS-5D Mk.iii 

Flake

« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2011, 03:58:11 PM »
Judging from the future smaller cameras at the click exhibition and the Canon guy who said fewer pixels are better, I think the next generation of DSLRs might well have.

No real increase in MP count
Far better noise / dynamic range performance
Remote live view (bluetooth?) to smart phone
Wireless file transfer built in
Wireless flash trigger built in

ThomasN

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2011, 04:53:37 AM »
Listing my wishes and summing up others the perfect camera should look this:

1.   FF 18 – 21 magapixel is enuoug, rather have high ISO 100.25600 or more)
2.   Articulated screen 3,3" OLED 1.1 mil. pixels display (OLED gets better view in the sun light)
(nice when holding camera over a crowd and protection when not in use, turn the screen in against camera)
3.   Zoom in and out with finger touch on 3,3” OLED screen
4.   Live View WITH autofocus
5.   Continuous shooting 8-9 fps
6.   Magnisium alloy body
7.   Water resistant (Weathersealing)
8.   AF points as 7D
9.   2 SD Card slot (no PC’s have CD Card slot, all have SD Card slot)
10.   Be able to specify which card slots are used for stills & video. And be able to specify whether card slots are for storage & backup or continous storage for the designated card usage.
11.   A simple configurable file naming system (when you again have taken 9999 pic. you have the same name)
12.   2x Digic V for faster write speed to memory cards and general processing capability
13.   GPS geotagging
14.   Use Smart Phone as remote trigger (Bluetooth)
15.   Use Smart Phone as Live View monitor (Bluetooth)
16.   Camera to subject distance indicator in viewfinder
17.   Wireless file transfer built in
18.   Wireless flash trigger built in
19.   3G MicroSIM card giving cloud upload features where ever you are (maybe adding the MicroSIM card into at SD Card (when 2 SD Card slots)
20.   1080P @ 60 fps and autofocus during video
21.   Stereo mic
22.   Adding external mic
23.   Mini-jack for headphone device

And I would not hesitate one second to buy it regardless of the price
2xA1+Power winders A, T70+a lot of glass for those,
EOS 20D+BGE2N and 40D+WFT-E1A, 580EX, 17-85 f/4.0-5.6 IS USM, 18-200 f/3.5-5.6 IS and 70-200 f/2,8L IS USM and a lot of gears and gizmos
Still waiting for 7D2 . . . . . . .

Hesbehindyou

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2011, 06:21:24 AM »
-1D series construction and weatherproofing;
-FF, 100% viewfinder coverage
-Options to customize, much as you would a car. Me, I'd opt for no video, WiFi, GPS, etc

It will be cheaper to make

Next you'll be crying out for those inefficient automated mass production lines to be replaced by thousands of artisan craftsmen using hand tools in order to reduce costs & increase supply  ;D

Bomb proof construction, FF with 100% viewfinder, and more production lines and complicated distribution so luddites can have features taken out doesn't equal cheaper!  I'm afraid that sticking the video at the far end of the mode dial is the nearest you're going to get to your dream camera  :-X

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2011, 06:21:24 AM »

Joseph

« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2011, 06:44:59 AM »
I completely agree with anyone here wanting a nicer VIEWFINDER , to be able to see my subject larger would be an amazing help - especially for me since I am in love with manual focus but rarely use it due to the viewfinders magnification.

CANON - give me a ENHANCED VIEWFINDER in the 1D bodies please !!!!!

I am ready to buy a new camera right now , and I am not going to lie , but I almost want a Hasselblad for the damn viewfinder - however , with how long I have been using Canon , I would love to continue giving them my patronage - but I want my VIEWFINDER !!!!!!!!

Ok I'm done yelling now lol :)

onkel_wart

« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2011, 03:34:14 PM »
very simple list:
. around 18mb
. FF
. ISO above 50thsd with usable noise level
. weathersealing

not needed:
. video
. flipscreen
. live view
. any other mode than Manual (ok, you might chip in the p, av and tv)
. any fancy stuff like in-body raw processing, filters and so on
. hdmi out (are there really people around that connect their dslr to their tv?)

all in all I would like to have great camera not a gimmick loaded hightech toy ;-)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 03:36:22 PM by onkel_wart »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2011, 03:34:14 PM »