August 27, 2014, 09:23:37 AM

Author Topic: Best body and lens for product Photography - Request for Comment  (Read 3881 times)

DJL329

• 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Best body and lens for product Photography - Request for Comment
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2013, 10:47:47 PM »
My first thought was to use a "low mileage" original 5D as that imager was really nice, the only issues being with the AF speed (which is irrelevant in this application).  I do not remember its live view capability.

The original 5D does not have Live View -- I remember because it was one of the reasons I skipped it and waited for the 5D Mark II.
Canon EOS 5D Mark III | EF 14mm f/2.8L | EF 28mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | EF 300mm f/4L IS

drmikeinpdx

• Canon 70D
  • Celebrating 20 years of naughty photography!
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Boudoir Photo
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2013, 11:49:58 PM »
Would not a crop sensor body give more depth of field than a FF body, all else being equal? 

You are going to be stopped down a lot, so autofocus accuracy is not a big issue.

I think the OP mentioned HDR, which kinda moots the noise argument.

The more I think about it, any body that lends itself to tethered work would be usable.  I'd spend more on the lens.
Current bodies:  5D3, 7D, 550D, S100
Favorite lenses: 135 f/2.0 L, 85 f/1.8 200 f/2.8 L, 50 f1.4 Sigma, 40mm pancake, 24-105 L.
blog:   http://www.BeyondBoudoirPhoto.com

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2013, 10:03:03 PM »
5D3 with 100 2.8L IS

5D3 with 45 TS-E or the brilliant 90 TS-E which may have run-out pricing right now. Non-TS 100 is too long for the OP's purpose.
Read up here:
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/tilt-shift-lenses2.htm
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/tilt-shift-lenses1.htm
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/focusing-ts.shtml
http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2011/intro_tilt_shift_lenses_article.shtml

-PW

I'm sorry but I can't get the rationale behind spending so much on the body, 5D3 for product photography when you can spend your money for better lighting and lens.

racgordon

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2013, 10:14:47 PM »
I appreciate all the suggestions.

Still somewhat in a state of analysis paralysis, but I think we will drop some money on some lens rentals. I think we will look at some used 5DII bodies something with 25-50K shutter cycles shoukd be ok and then send it in for a CLR.

Doing some math a 90mm or thereabouts (on full frame) should give sufficient DOF stopped down to F8.  Having done some measurements with some likely model setups, the MAXIMUM DOF we would need is 10" either side of the point of focus, which is not that much. I am not suer a TS lens would be justified (pity).  Have to look at how close the various lenses around that focal length focus.  The other option of course would be to go Manual Focus and throw an older medium format closes focusing lens on there.  That would take advantage of the beauty of using live view on a tethered body, where you can check your focus on an image on a large monitor.

Based on tests we are going to use Multiple photo fluorescents in the softboxes.   Even some of the cheapo Chinese "photo" bulbs work quite well, although we will probably end us using some osram's as there color balance range is much tighter and AWB on most modern cameras work well with them.

Will post results when we have tested

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2013, 10:23:08 PM »
A used 5DII and a TS-E 90mm f/2.8...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2013, 01:30:29 AM »
A used 5DII and a TS-E 90mm f/2.8...

And...we're done :P
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

paul13walnut5

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2013, 12:06:49 PM »
Are you at the wind up?  Lots of bluff and bluster, I don't think any answer is going to be good enough here...

Also at the most the need is going to be for a 1:2 or 1:4 reproduction ratio (assuming a 24x36 imager).

It's worth noting that the reproduction ratio is irrelevant in terms of imager dimensions, all that's doing is cropping the projected image circle, the projected 1:2 or 1:4 ratio will be the same at the focal plane whether you are shooting on film, 135 format digital or APS-C cropped digital (or even APS-H digital)

The sensor crop is relevant in terms of effective angle of view, and this in turn determines perspective and working distance, and therefore depth of field, but it has nothing at all to do with reproduction ratio.

In practise this is less important these days for most users as digital cropping, large screen projection / high resolution printing can usually get you to where you want to be.

I'm struggling to think of any 'macro' lenses that will actually deliver 1:2 max these days, probably only the Canon 50mm f2.5 springs to mind.  1:1 macros are usually marked for 1:2, 1:3, 1;4 etc.

I think you are using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.  We aren't doing drum scanning here, so you don't have to calibrate daylight film to flouro light, a grey card is all you need, shoot RAW and you can even play with it in post, at 16bit pull downs.

As for shadow noise, this really does ring troll alarm bells.  QUITE LOUDLY.

Apologies if I'm wrong.  Say hello to photoshop.  Say hello to Adobe Camera Raw.

Your old way of working is dead.  Set whatever you buy to adobe RGB from camera to software.
Calibrate your monitor.

Wrattens etc are dead.

If I've got you wrong I apologise.  There are just some cues to your writing and archaic terminology that seems to be either trying to test our knowledge or expertise, or is at the wind up.

Maybe moderate your tone and you'll get more kindly moderated answers.