June 19, 2018, 08:06:44 PM

Author Topic: Should I tell my lady friend that she should change the name of her company...  (Read 17225 times)

tpatana

• EOS 5DS R
LOL...kinda like that computer company, back in the day, that named their company "Wang".

:)

In China:
1- Wang is a very common name
2- First names can be common words or descriptive
3- Locals use an foreign name (generally english) with foreigners to help memorization
4- Poor english or taste make some people just use litteral translation of their chinese name as "foreigner friendly name"

Result: Keep trying a straight face when, in a formal business environment, a man is introduced to you as "Rainbow Wang"

Many stories like that, the other main one being we have 2 wang in my office, one ~1,60m tall and the other one ~1,80m tall. Their are known to all as "small wang" and "big wang"...

My friend told his boss name was "Ochinko". That dude can't travel to Japan.

canon rumors FORUM

Hillsilly

• EOS 5DS R
If your company name would be Digital Professional, your acronym would be DP, which can make some people believe you're into certain genres of photography only   :o

Being a DP Photographer would be a very a small market.  I'd suggest promoting video skills as well. 

Anyways, back to the OP.  If her business is doing well, I wouldn't stress about it.  If she's happy with the name, then great!  In fact, I think I'd be more inclined to use a company called "BS Photography".  I'd imagine they'd have a sense of humor and would be good to deal with.

If her business isn't doing well, you could diplomatically suggest a change of name and image as part of a complete re-branding exercise.  That way, she wouldn't feel like a idiot (or worse, hate you for pointing out her flaws) when you point out that she's chosen a BS name.  People develop a strong attachment to their business name and don't like being told they've chosen a bad one...tread gently.
Camera Obscura

canon rumors FORUM