September 01, 2014, 10:46:01 AM

Author Topic: Should I tell my lady friend that she should change the name of her company...  (Read 7249 times)

Vossie

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
If your company name would be Digital Professional, your acronym would be DP, which can make some people believe you're into certain genres of photography only   :o

And if you're lady friend would have a company called Master In Light Foto, one would expect her to be attractive  8)
5D3, 16-35LII, 24-70 2.8LII, 24-105L, 85LII, 70-200 2.8LII, 100L, 135L, 100-400L, 50 1.4, 40 2.8, Sigma 180 3.5 EX, 1.4x TC III, 600EX, 550EX

canon rumors FORUM

risc32

• 6D
    • View Profile
Though I am really not one to talk since my company name is Dirty Sanchez Photography, but my acronym is DSP... so not nearly as awful.

no.... no... ? really? dirty sanchez? get out. well, you have sense of humor.

scottkinfw

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • kasden.smug.com
You have a real dilemma on your hands, and you certainly don't have the moral high ground here.

I am certainly not the one to give counsel on successful relationships.  One shall I call it, aphorism, has helped me along in life, and perhaps it may guide you as well.

Would you rather be right or would you rather be happy?

Keep us apprised of your status, it sounds like a real nail biter.

sek
sek Cameras: 5D III, 5D II, EOS M  Lenses:  24-70 2.8 II IS, 24-105 f4L, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 300 f4L IS, EF 400 5.6L, 300 2.8 IS II, Samyang 14 mm 2.8 Flashes: 580 EX II600EX-RT X 2, ST-E3-RT
Plus lots of stuff that just didn't work for me

AcutancePhotography

• 6D
    • View Profile
I think you should just ask her if she knows what BS means. 

I know you were trying to be funny, but I think Dirty Sanchez Photography would be an awesome company name.  ;D
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

Grumbaki

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Cleveland Steamer Photography, #1 in wedding pics on old steamboats!

Jim Saunders

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Cleveland Steamer Photography, #1 in wedding pics on old steamboats!

I'll have you know I was very, very close to leaving my morning coffee on my monitor.

Jim
I'd probably do better to invest more time and less money.

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
I'd rather remain someone anonymous, so I'll change the name and places to protect the ignorant... I mean innocent.

Well, the lady's company name is... oh lets say Burrito Supreme Photography.  And her water mark is a very nice, very swirly font that spells BS photography.  Does she simply not know what the Acronym BS stands for in the rest of America... maybe the world? 

And every time she posts something on Facebook... I think... maybe she just simply doesn't know. Though I am really not one to talk since my company name is Dirty Sanchez Photography, but my acronym is DSP... so not nearly as awful.

LOL...kinda like that computer company, back in the day, that named their company "Wang".

:)

canon rumors FORUM

Jay Khaos

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
This is kind of like telling someone they are doing a machine wrong at the gym.  Even if you give them straight up facts that prove you're right and tell them you're only trying to help, 9 out of 10 people will respond negatively, if only out of insecurity.  Most people are too proud and have already received rave reviews about their name/logo choice from close friends and family to even consider listening open-mindedly to the most logical advice. ugh... /rant

Seriously though... its kind of hilarious that your name is dirty sanchez and you're going to advise her against BS lol.  I guess dirty sanchez has more of a dominant connotation whereas BS photography sounds like you're calling your skill S___.. lol
5DIII | 85mm f1.2L • 70-200mm f2.8L IS II • 50mm f1.8 II

AcutancePhotography

• 6D
    • View Profile
LOL...kinda like that computer company, back in the day, that named their company "Wang".

The government sent me to wang school in order to learn how to better use my wang.  I still have my wang ruler so I could measure how long things were on my wang.  In my day, I was quite proficient with my wang.  Not to brag but some of the ladies in my office were pretty interested in my wang techniques. I showed them what me and my wang could do for them.  But on the other hand, there were some ladies in my office who showed me a thing or two about my wang that I did not know.

Those were the days.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

7enderbender

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
If your company name would be Digital Professional, your acronym would be DP, which can make some people believe you're into certain genres of photography only   :o

And if you're lady friend would have a company called Master In Light Foto, one would expect her to be attractive  8)

Yep. DPreview. Always triggers pre-teen flashback giggles. In more than one way sometimes when you read some of the stuff there.

OP: it may be worth mentioning it to her but may not be worth for her to change it. If it draws attention even better.
5DII - 50L - 135L - 200 2.8L - 24-105 - 580EXII - 430EXII - FD 500/8 - AE1-p - bag full of FD lenses

tpatana

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
My guess is she must know it, and she's doing it intentionally.

For my company, I need more TP.

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile

is your company bunghole  related?
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100 f/2.8L->85mm f/1.8 USM->135L -> 8mm ->100L

tpatana

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile

is your company bunghole  related?

That's what most people say about the photographer.

canon rumors FORUM

roadrunner

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
I don't think she needs to change her company name. Just change the watermark. "BSP" or spelling out the "BS" would be a simple way to keep the company name without triggering unkind thoughts.

Or maybe she just doesn't care, and she can just continue on ignoring what other people think of name.

Grumbaki

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile

In China:
1- Wang is a very common name
2- First names can be common words or descriptive
3- Locals use an foreign name (generally english) with foreigners to help memorization
4- Poor english or taste make some people just use litteral translation of their chinese name as "foreigner friendly name"

Result: Keep trying a straight face when, in a formal business environment, a man is introduced to you as "Rainbow Wang"

Many stories like that, the other main one being we have 2 wang in my office, one ~1,60m tall and the other one ~1,80m tall. Their are known to all as "small wang" and "big wang"...

canon rumors FORUM