September 21, 2014, 12:40:04 PM

Author Topic: 100000 RGB Metering Sensor vs 63 dual layers Metering  (Read 2573 times)

duydaniel

• 7D
    • View Profile
100000 RGB Metering Sensor vs 63 dual layers Metering
« on: August 18, 2013, 11:25:30 AM »
I read that the 1DX has the 100000 RGB Metering while the 5D3 reuse the 63 dual layers from the 7D.
I wonder if anyone has more info on this.

1) How does it affect image quality or
2) Does it just affect the exposure metering?

canon rumors FORUM

100000 RGB Metering Sensor vs 63 dual layers Metering
« on: August 18, 2013, 11:25:30 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: 100000 RGB Metering Sensor vs 63 dual layers Metering
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 02:58:21 PM »
By definition, a metering sensor deals with exposure metering - nothing directly to do with IQ, only indirectly to the extent that it affects your exposure decisions. Of course, in an autoexposure mode (Av, Tv, etc.), the camera's metering can result in blown highlights, detail lost in shadows, etc.  The 1D X's metering sensor is very accurate, in my experience, and it also contributes to AF tracking in AI Servo. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

poias

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 03:56:45 PM »
I read that the 1DX has the 100000 RGB Metering while the 5D3 reuse the 63 dual layers from the 7D.

1Dx is the best sports/action camera ever made. 5D3 is a poor man's 1Dx that has neither speed nor IQ.

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 04:32:12 PM »
1Dx is the best sports/action camera ever made. 5D3 is a poor man's 1Dx that has neither speed nor IQ.

Somehow I think you're not going to get away with that!
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

risc32

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 04:35:07 PM »

right.....

insanitybeard

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 12:17:36 PM »

:o Didn't you forget to put your TM Nikon rules ok comment in your post?
7D / EF-S 10-22 / 17-40L / 70-200 f4L IS / EF-S 60 macro

duydaniel

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 09:35:25 PM »
I found the information about this here:

1DX
Exposure settings: 100,000-pixel RGB AE sensor
Introduced with the EOS-1D X, the 100,000-pixel RGB sensor is able to measure not only light levels, but also to detect colour information and the presence of a face within the frame.

During metering, the sensor divides the frame into 252 zones, compared to 63 metering zones used in the EOS-1D Mark IV. The 252 metering zones are also used for flash metering allowing for more precise subject location based on pre-flash readings.

In low ambient light conditions, where some zones may receive little or no light and therefore could lead to inconsistent exposure, the sensor enlarges each zone so that it meters from 35 zones.

Because the metering sensor captures RGB data, it is able to calculate the colour of the scene. This is how it is able to provide colour-tracking information to the AF system and face detection data, both for AF and Auto Scene detection. The sensor is especially aware of green and yellow as these colours can adversely affect the exposure reading and cause over-exposure or under-exposure respectively. By using the colour data and information from the 61 AF points, the EOS-1D X is able to detect where in the frame the subject is and then bias the exposure accordingly to ensure the best exposure setting. This provides more stable and accurate exposures than those possible with the EOS-1D Mark IV.

The colour and face detection system is also used in the E-TTL II flash metering algorithm. By locating a face within the frame, the EOS-1D X can accurately adjust the flash output to ensure the face is correctly exposed, while ignoring reflective objects within the frame that may otherwise lead to an inaccurate flash exposure. Beyond this addition, the E-TTL II algorithm functions in the same way as it does on the EOS-1D Mark IV and other models within the EOS DSLR range.

5D3
The Canon EOS 7D, EOS 60D and EOS 5D Mark III DSLRs feature an iFCL 63-zone Dual-layer Metering Sensor. The ‘FCL’ stands for ‘Focus, Colour and Luminance’ and hints at the fact that the metering system not only measures colour and luminance data, but also analyses the data provided by each point of the AF system.

The metering sensor has 63 measurement zones and is a Dual-layer design with each layer sensitive to different wavelengths of light. Electronic sensors in general are more sensitive to red light. This means when photographing subjects with lots of red in them – skin tones for example – the sensor receives a stronger signal as it only detects brightness levels. This can lead to the wrong assumption that there is more light than there really is.

The EOS 7D’s 63-zone Dual-layer Metering Sensor.
The Dual-layer system overcomes this by having one layer sensitive to red/green light and one layer sensitive to blue/green light. Both these layers measure the light in their respective spectra and the metering algorithm then combines the two to provide an accurate light reading. In this way, accurate exposures can be attained in a wide range of shooting situations and irrespective of the colour of the subject being metered.

Metering algorithm
To work with the iFCL metering sensor, cameras that use iFCL metering also feature a specific metering algorithm. These cameras always measure focus with all AF points, regardless of the selected AF mode. During the exposure reading the cameras look to see which points, in addition to the selected point, have achieved or almost achieved focus.

This information lets the cameras know which part of the image is the subject. They then take metering readings from the zones corresponding to the AF points that have achieved (or almost achieved) focus and combine them with readings from all the other zones. This allows for consistent shot-to-shot exposure, even in complex situations – for example, where there are reflections from a model’s glasses.

src:
http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/infobank/exposure_settings.do

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 09:35:25 PM »

Skulker

• 7D
  • PP is no vice and as shot is no virtue
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 05:13:03 PM »

Somehow I think you're not going to get away with that!

distant star I think the lack of response is a credit to the restraint of our fellow members to ignore a bit of a daft comment.  8)
If you debate with a fool onlookers can find it VERY difficult to tell the difference.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 05:13:03 PM »