August 28, 2014, 01:38:59 AM

Author Topic: Camera for keen 9 year old.  (Read 6327 times)

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Camera for keen 9 year old.
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2013, 10:27:54 AM »
Paul,

I think your instincts are good. An inexpensive Rebel with the kit lens (preferably with IS) is a good starting place. He can start it on "P" and jpg and then go from there.

Film is dead and it is expensive. Why give him something where his parents have to constantly spend money on supplies and he has to wait for hours or days to see the results? This isn't a character building exercise, it's a toy to see if it might grow into a hobby or maybe a profession (better scratch that last part, there are no jobs and his parents may never forgive you for condemning him to a life of poverty.)

The only hesitation I have is due to the interchangeable lens. I kind of cringe when I think of the damage a nine-year-old boy could do when he figures out how to take the lens off.

I tell my little girl that we never leave the body exposed and we always have a cap our a lens on.   so far she has adhered which is more than some adults I see do.
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100 f/2.8L->85mm f/1.8 USM->135L -> 8mm ->100L

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2013, 10:46:38 AM »
Film is dead and it is expensive. Why give him something where his parents have to constantly spend money on supplies and he has to wait for hours or days to see the results?

I object! Film isn't (quite) dead yet.

That said, I agree an older cheap digital is the way to go. Processing & scanning fees really add up if you shoot a lot. With digital he'll have the ins4ant feedback that is really helpful for learning, and no ongoing fees.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

jdramirez

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2013, 10:58:16 AM »
Film is dead and it is expensive. Why give him something where his parents have to constantly spend money on supplies and he has to wait for hours or days to see the results?

I object! Film isn't (quite) dead yet.

That said, I agree an older cheap digital is the way to go. Processing & scanning fees really add up if you shoot a lot. With digital he'll have the ins4ant feedback that is really helpful for learning, and no ongoing fees.

is film more like a zombie,  a vampire,  or  Frankenstein?

if I were to guess,  I'd say a vampire because it sucks you dry in a bad way over a long period of time. 

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100 f/2.8L->85mm f/1.8 USM->135L -> 8mm ->100L

TBenson

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2013, 11:26:33 AM »
My kids would have quickly destroyed an SLR.  And then what good is a broken camera?

A few years ago I was lucky to find two Olympus Stylus 800's at a yard sale for $15 each.  They turned out to be great little cameras, especially for young children who are not always gentle.
 - sturdy all-metal body
 - weatherproof
 - auto-lenscover on power off
 - f2.8-4.9 lens, 38-114mm range (full frame equiv.)
 - Program, Aperature, and Shutter priority with Exposure Compensation (no full manual through)
 - 8 megapixels and 640x480 video

Only bad part was that they take xD memory cards.  ???

paul13walnut5

« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2013, 11:51:37 AM »
I know there is a chance it may just get wrecked.  But that would also potentially happen to a £100 compact camera as well.  Thats why the £100 bit is vital.

My thinking is that if it seems a bit more serious than a toy then he may treat it more carefully.  And a broken SLR is about the same amount of use as a broken compact..  I think I'll stay positive and get him a rebel.

I wish I had digital when I was learning.  Not going to consign him to film, all other film vs digtial debates aside, digital is immediate.  Results are tangible within the attention span of a nine year old.  If he also starts to cotton onto the different numbers then he can see what worked and what didn't, can't really do that with film.

Ok, been useful, thank you are for the perspectives.

TommyLee

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2013, 11:54:13 AM »
Keep an eye on WEX used section, I picked up a 400D body for £79 from them and it looked basically new. It would be a great place to start and to grow from, admittedly once you've added a kit lens it'll be more than £100 but not by much, I've seen the kit lenses go for less than £40

I believe this is right on....................
this sounds ...as close as one could get to the budget and still have real camera control...

an (near) obsolete slr... but enough to try the features ...set things etc....

for sure done  breakdown and 'project'... and get some new cropper or a midrange slr and a good lens....not yet...
as you said.... try the small path FIRST

spoken as a grandfather who would LIKE to see the kids - grandkids get 'hooked'....

they will tell you if they NEED more

TOM

======

I ......ALSO.....discovered my girlfriend did NOT WANT a big camera ...just one in purse...
doh!.....  THAT.....is projecting our vision.... not everyone is a photojournalist-geek

so....go slow...

of course...
IMO

Jules

• Power Shot G16
  • Sunset Lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2013, 06:07:04 PM »
Hi,
Good old rebel with kit lens is a great learning tool if he shows some willingness to go beyond compact stuff ...

My 8y old goddaughter was playing with my 40D every time i was visiting her (she had a VTech Kidizoom 1st, then played with her parents compact...) : gave her my old compact Casio Exilim S500 as a 1st camera for 7th bday, but it lasted only 3 months and died peacefully (old diaphragm not closing properly under TX sun => overexposed pics ... natural noble death after 7 years), so i bought her the entry level Nikon coolpix L25 (shame on me but Canon 1st price was more expensive  :( ) ...
She now uses it quite properly and even started teaching her young 5y old bro how to use it... flash fill, framing, timer for group portraits... so after 1 year i gave her my old Rebel 400D this summer, which she uses with her parents old film kit lens 28-80mm and 75-300mm (we bought that with the Rebel2000 in the old days)...
She is really happy to have an optical viewfinder like me ("far better than the screen under the sun"), to be able to change lens (without going into details i told her that she could not get wide angle but she said for that she would still use the compact : what she wanted was the zoom "to see far away" even if she finds the big one to be a bit heavy and only shoots 2 or 3 burst with it... but her hands have a firm grip one on the side and the other below the lens)... She wanted to be able to control the flash, so she went from the green square full auto to P, then she wanted to know why some of her pics were blurred, so i explained her to stay beyond 1/2xfocal (easier than 1,6 and keeps a bit of margin): she is even happy to do a bit of maths (she loves maths) and she uses Tv mode and pumps up ISO when it blinks ... Next will be Av mode but she already asked for it: she wanted to do portraits like me, so i told her i would explain later (bit too much in 3 days) but that she could use the "portrait" mode for that ... she was quite happy with the results ...

=> let him do trial and error, then after some time and shots, review some of them with him (the ones he is the most proud of) and ask him what he would want to improve, and then give him some hints ... then let him experiment again ... this way he will learn what he wants and not listen to you with tons of info he doesn't find useful at that time ...

Basic lens will do, maybe kit zoom better at first (yes i know about primes but you have to be old enought to be patient ... i guess next year i will get her a cheap 18-55 kit to fill in the gap of the film lenses ... the 50 1.8 will go to her when i upgrade mine to 1.4 or 1.2  ;) )
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 06:09:56 PM by Jules »
EOS 40D | EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 USM IS | EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 USM IS | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF 100mm f/2.8 L Macro IS USM | Speedlite 430EX
My flickr

bholliman

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2013, 09:26:58 AM »
My kids would have quickly destroyed an SLR.  And then what good is a broken camera?

I think it depends on the kid.  My older son (a teenager now) tends to be reckless and rough with things and they don't last long, so I would not have bought him a Rebel at age 9.  We gave him a "throw away" old Kodak that only lasted a few months, but we kind of expected that when we gave it to him.

Our 7-year-old niece on the other hand is an entirely different kid.  She is very neat and careful and takes great care of her toys and other possessions.  If/when she shows an interest in photography, I would feel good about giving her a somewhat more expensive camera (used rebel) because I'm sure she would take good care of it.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 09:29:20 AM by bholliman »
Bodies:  6D, EOS-M (22/2 and 18-55)
Lenses: Rokinon 14mm 2.8, 35mm 2.0 IS, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8L IS Macro, 135mm 2.0L, 24-70mm 2.8L II, 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, Extenders: EF 1.4xIII, EF 2xIII ; Flash: ST-E3-RT, 600EX-RT (x3)

Dukinald

• Rebel T5i
  • aloha!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2013, 10:50:58 AM »
Turns out she's got a great eye for subject and composition.  Yesterday, she was out in the back yard shooting pictures, and she came up to me and said, "Daddy, I want to learn what these other buttons do...the camera is making my pictures too bright, and I want to learn to make them darker." My 5-year old wants to get out of Auto/P-mode and take control of her pictures.   Color me proud!   ;D

We went to the New Haven OPen tennis tournament the other night and my 9 YO son wanted to use my gripped t2i + 70-200F4 combo that i brought. I let him take some shots of the stadium and the players.
Then came this guy with a Nikon and telephoto with monopod and started shooting too beside my son. It made me chuckle cause my son can barely hold my gear shooting side by side with this guy. My son also shot with my EOS M which i brought for the WA shots and again made me laugh when he complained that the focusing was taking longer   ;D ;D

Digital is the way to go IMO as kids usually will always chimp at every shot. I'm thinking on letting him use my old Nikon P&S L120 for now or even the M. Then he can use my rebel when i upgrade to FF give or take a couple of years  ::) ::)
Bodies: Canon 6D, 70D, T2i gripped, EOS 5, EOS 100, EOS M
Lenses:EF 24-105 F4L, EF 70-200 F2.8L mkII, EF 100 F2.8L,  EF 50 F1.8, EF-S 18-55mm, EF 28-80 USM, EF-M 22, Rokinon 8mm HD Fisheye, M mount adapter
Other : 540EZ, 320EX, 430EX II, Yongnuo triggers & strobist stuff

jdramirez

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2013, 02:07:24 PM »
 my daughter and I were shooting ducks,  with camera  not guns.   and the neck strap was making her sweaty.   and she took it off for a second before I was telling her that the discomfort of the neck strap is far less than dropping the camera into water.   she retorted that we didn't pay that much for her body and lens.... I  was annoyed,  but she  kept the neck strap around her sweaty neck.