July 28, 2014, 05:50:44 AM

Author Topic: Why does Canon USA not honor consumer product warranties?  (Read 6210 times)

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Why does Canon USA not honor consumer product warranties?
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2013, 11:03:18 AM »
 do you really suspect that Nikon is going to be that much better to deal with?   Maybe sigma or  tamron because they can't afford to alienate their customer base,  but I doubt they are giving away free service either. 

having said all that, I  have heard of times where someone sends in something for service to Canon and they do the work for free even though it is it of warranty.   so they aren't all bad.
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100 f/2.8L->85mm f/1.8 USM->135L -> 8mm ->100L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2013, 11:03:18 AM »

skitron

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2013, 11:30:44 AM »
do you really suspect that Nikon is going to be that much better to deal with?   Maybe sigma or  tamron because they can't afford to alienate their customer base,  but I doubt they are giving away free service either. 

having said all that, I  have heard of times where someone sends in something for service to Canon and they do the work for free even though it is it of warranty.   so they aren't all bad.

I have no idea whether Nikon is better, worse, the same, whatever. But for me anyway, continuing to do business with Canon USA is not going to happen due to two poor experiences - one my own and another a family member.

In my case an L lens only 3 months out of warranty (which they adamantly stated would not be covered) so for me, I can rule out that Canon USA covers expensive items just recently going out of warranty. Which is fair enough, I agreed to pay for repairs, the problem is repairs to fix the actual problem were not performed and Canon USA was not helpful to resolve the issue, yet still has my repair payment.

In mother in law's case, I can rule out that Canon USA covers items that are in warranty, and fails to provide any explanation that is meaningful as to why they refuse to perform their obligation.

So that's my experiences and why I won't do business with them anymore. Others may have direct first hand experiences that are better.

And again, the pragmatic lesson is just buy gray market or non-authorized reseller if you want to shoot Canon and don't waste money on warranties, either first party or third party. And as for me, I'll just rotate this gear out when the time is right and migrate to another vendor.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 11:37:17 AM by skitron »
5D3, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 100L, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4 DG, Canon TC 1.4x III

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2013, 11:34:04 AM »
My experience with Canon repair has been very good, and I am not even a CPS member or a high-volume customer. They even replaced a T3i AFTER the warranty was over. I would just call them and ask for explanations. They seemed to be very common-sense oriented people and not rule-oriented over there.
Did they receive the camera and then email or mail you their decision? Or did you actually speak to someone?
Finally, if opting out of Canon hurts oneself more then that might not be the best decision, especially considering this is pretty likely with Nikon as well.
In any case, this post just doesn't jive with my experience with Canon...
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2013, 11:37:14 AM »

I have no idea whether Nikon is better, worse, the same, whatever.

According to Lensrentals' data, you can expect to wait nearly 5 times as long for Nikon to fix what's broken, whether you have to pay for it or not.  Oh, and if you do have to pay for it, you'll pay more.

EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

skitron

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2013, 11:40:14 AM »

I have no idea whether Nikon is better, worse, the same, whatever.

According to Lensrentals' data, you can expect to wait nearly 5 times as long for Nikon to fix what's broken, whether you have to pay for it or not.  Oh, and if you do have to pay for it, you'll pay more.

Yup, there may be better choices than Nikon too. I'm certainly not married to that idea...
5D3, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 100L, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4 DG, Canon TC 1.4x III

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2013, 11:44:11 AM »
I've never had issue with Canon Repairs, but I am a CPS member.  When it comes down to everything, i've had things fixed/repaired even out of warranty.  As far as camera droppings, keep in mind that like a minor car crash, even if you dont have cosmetic damage in a low impact fender bender, there sometimes is damage under the hood or frame or...  How many times have you heard of a car that looks great but a mechanic opening the hood can see where repairs or bent frame from a prior accident.  Also little things, especially when a lower quality construction camera can have more damage from less impacts than lets say my 5d mark 3 with mag alloy construction.   Ever drive on bumpy roads, pot holes, off roading, leave camera in the trunk, floorboards, etc?  Ever drop the camera even a few inches from a table or if its in a purse, drop the purse a foot to the floor?  You may not need to drop it from 4-5 feet to break a camera... sometimes it could be a lot less. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2013, 11:53:31 AM »
You may not need to drop it from 4-5 feet to break a camera... sometimes it could be a lot less.

Or just the right (or wrong, in this case) angle.  I've dropped my iPhone many times from waist height onto wood, tile and pavement, with no damage.  But one such drop from a lower height (getting out of a car) broke the rear glass.  Fortunately only a $30 fix.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2013, 11:53:31 AM »

ECRoyce

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2013, 11:55:26 AM »
I think it's a rather harsh reflex decision for not fully knowing what may or may not have happened to someone else's ~$100+ point-and-shoot camera to write off a company's product line entirely.  I'll assume you ARE either the aforementioned son-in-law, or more likely the husband of this person, not just another party familiar with these people to feel so personally injured in this particular case. 

Working with electronics in my 9-5, I see so many things get broken due to misuse or lack of basic care, (in my personal life also with family, friends, etc) and the person rarely admits to what really happened, just out of a normal human tendency to not want to look foolish.  You see enough of it however, and you know better, but you ask anyway, half out of seeing if they will actually fess up to it, and half out of a way to entertain yourself.  I'm sure you may have a little bias of wanting to believe this person's side of the story, but like others have said, if it hasn't been in her possession 100% of the time, there is no way to be absolutely certain someone else may not have bumped it and damaged it and covered that fact up without her knowing. 

I have personally dropped my Sony P&S onto a hard concrete floor, which when it happened I was almost sure it was going to be an end-of-life event, but after reattaching the doors, batteries, etc, it came right back on.  I would think Canon would have similar build in their P&Ss and to cause functional damage would have to be pretty hard as well.  Unless absolutely cheaply built, things really don't spontaneously destroy themselves anymore without a good reason.

I don't think that if I had spent enough money on a brand new higher end phone (ie. equiv to a 5D3, 70-200 lens, etc) from a company like Motorola, then had a support problem with a small accessory like a charger (ie. relative spending equiv to a SX150), that I would be talking about liquidating the phone, or never spending another penny, as a response.

Can you update this post when you plan on putting your gear on eBay?
5D3, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 200L II f/2.8, 100L, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4, Rokinon 35/1.4, Canon TC 1.4x III

No offense implied, and when you calm down, I think you'll come to your senses.

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2013, 11:58:53 AM »
Gosh, if I changed companies every time a claim for any of my stuff was denied.......

In his defense... about 10 years ago I had a crappy 1.3 megapixel Olympus that I maybe paid $100 for.  Probably less... but still.  And at one point the camera's usb port konks out and I contact Olympus for warranty work.  I explain that I purchased it within a year and I registered it online.  They said that they need the original warranty otherwise they can't do anything for me.  That was the last Olympus product I ever bought and if they actually were good and made cutting edge gear right now, I wouldn't touch it. 

Having said that, now that things are purchased online, it makes it so much easier to keep the receipt.
I had an Olympus E-510 that died the day after the warranty ran out.... how's that for timing! They fixed it for free.
The best camera is the one in your hands

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2013, 12:05:55 PM »

Fourty days for Olympus! And the sad thing is, it's an improvement....
The best camera is the one in your hands

wsheldon

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • sheldon-photo
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2013, 12:17:11 PM »
Fourty days for Olympus! And the sad thing is, it's an improvement....

Gotta say, though, Olympus in Hoboken, NJ, fixed my E-PL2 mirrorless in <2 weeks, including transit time. Spring-loaded flash pop-up button broke under warranty, so that required body disassembly and swapping parts. And that was <1 month after Hurricane Sandy flooded that area.

Not doubting Roger's data, but I guess YMMV.

Canon 6D & 50D, nice set of lenses

barracuda

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2013, 12:32:09 PM »
I'm sorry to hear about your bad experiences with Canon USA. I, on the other hand, have had nothing but good experiences.

I'm a CPS member, so I routinely send in my equipment as part of their free "Clean and Check" program. I once sent in my 70-200 and asked if there was something they could do about the auto-focus and IS switches on the lens because I felt they were too easily switched out of position. When I got the lens back they had replaced the switch panel with a new one free of charge even though it was beyond the scope of the program. By the way, I sent in the lens on a Monday and got it back on Friday of the same week, which has been a typical turnaround time.

Perhaps the pragmatic lesson is to become a CPS member if you own enough equipment to qualify. I cannot speak about warranty service as a non-CPS member, but I find that the CPS program (Gold member) pays for itself with the 2 free clean and checks, 30% off repairs, free return shipping, and most importantly, excellent customer service.
5D3, 5D2, 6D, 60Da, T4i, SL1, EOS M, G15, G11 converted to 720nm infrared, Powershot S100, Sony RX100, and lots of lenses.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2013, 12:42:42 PM »

Yup, there may be better choices than Nikon too. I'm certainly not married to that idea...

Maybe Sony?

http://www.photozone.de/

Tests delayed due to defects and miserable service  ... (yes, we are buying many lenses just for testing):
Defective LensProblemService CenterLast StatusNow waiting for ...
Sony E 35mm f/1.8 OSSCentering DefectSony AustraliaDoneit took ... 74 days

well, maybe not :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2013, 12:42:42 PM »

LSV

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2013, 12:57:13 PM »
I'm sorry for your bad experience.  My suggestion is to write a letter to Canon, calmly and clearly explaining your situation before selling off your great gears.  Many years ago I had to send my Canon G3 for repair and it was a couple of weeks after the warranty has expired.  I included a letter with the camera explaining that I had not used the camera for a few months and the LCD had died while it was still under warranty, but I did not find out until after the warranty has expired.  All of this was absolutely true and I was hoping they would believe me and honor the warranty, although I understood and would have accepted their denial.  Happily, they fixed it for free under warranty and the G3 still works to this day.  I've bought quite a few Canon DSLRs and lenses since then and very satisfied with Canon over the years.

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2013, 01:10:57 PM »
"Hope for the best. Expect the worst."

Lower your expectations. Probably psychologically healthier to go around pleasantly surprised than belligerently disappointed.

Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2013, 01:10:57 PM »