July 22, 2014, 08:24:30 PM

Author Topic: More Medium Format Talk  (Read 10465 times)

bchernicoff

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • My Photos
Re: More Medium Format Talk
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2013, 01:16:38 PM »
What is the significance of calling it a larger EF mount? Does that imply electronic compatibility...as-in you can mount one of these lenses to an EOS body with an adapter and maintain full functionality?

It would be neat to see that, but I agree with most of the sentiment in this thread. Going to be crazy expensive.
6D, Fuji X-E1
Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 50mm f/1.2L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 400mm f/2.8L II, 100mm L IS Macro, Sigma 85mm, & 35mm f/1.4's, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, Canon 2x Extender II, Kenko 1.4x, 430 EX II, Elinchroms

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2013, 01:16:38 PM »

Policar

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2013, 01:24:10 PM »
Makes no sense. Citing cinema lenses (the ones that aren't modified L primes being designed to cover just larger than APS-C) is just wrong...

We'd need a good portrait lens and some good T/S-E lenses for product photography and landscape. And better read noise to compete with the big guys.

I'd love it. Love to trade in LF for digital.

docholliday

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2013, 01:25:46 PM »
Maybe it'll be a real medium format:  6x7  ;D

You mean 6x6, right?  ::)

Ellen Schmidtee

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2013, 01:27:41 PM »
What is the significance of calling it a larger EF mount? Does that imply electronic compatibility...as-in you can mount one of these lenses to an EOS body with an adapter and maintain full functionality?

I think there are two parameters here - mount diameter and flange distance. I guess both would be larger, making an EF to EF-medium-format problematic.

jimenezphoto

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Jimenez Images
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2013, 01:31:24 PM »
"Maybe Canons intention is to produce an 'affordable' MF system for those that really do need that amount of pixel power. "

That is a funny statement. Prices for any medium format lenses or bodies will be obsene. Just look at what happens when they update a lens like the EF 24mm f2.8 IS, prices double at the very least.

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2013, 02:13:16 PM »
"Maybe Canons intention is to produce an 'affordable' MF system for those that really do need that amount of pixel power. "

That is a funny statement. Prices for any medium format lenses or bodies will be obsene. Just look at what happens when they update a lens like the EF 24mm f2.8 IS, prices double at the very least.

And in that case they would sell very few units, relatively speaking, which is why this 'Canon MF' rumour doesn't seem to make commercial sense - unless Canon have something up their sleeve on producing a cheaper MF.

If they built a new system that was contemporary with Hassleblad and Leica and you were in the market for a MF system which would you choose ? But if Canon could offer similar sensor size at substantially lower cost they might open a larger market.

Still think the whole thing's a pink elephant.
Mercian

bchernicoff

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • My Photos
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2013, 02:49:17 PM »

I think there are two parameters here - mount diameter and flange distance. I guess both would be larger, making an EF to EF-medium-format problematic.

I think you have that backwards. A lens with a larger flange diameter shouldn't be a problem mounting to an adapter that reduces to EF diameter. Sure, the full light circle wouldn't be projected, but that's fine since the 35mm sensor is smaller than MF. And the greater flange distance is fine too, the length of the adapter ensures it is positioned the correct distance from the 35mm sensor.

EDIT: To be clear, my original comment NOT talking about mounting an existing EF lens on a medium format camera. That makes NO sense at all. The original CR post says "A larger version of the EF lens mount will be created ". I wondered why would they bother calling it that unless they intend that the new lenses would remain electronically compatible with the existing EF mount, so that you could mount a medium format lens on an EF body with a simple adapter.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 03:28:44 PM by bchernicoff »
6D, Fuji X-E1
Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 50mm f/1.2L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 400mm f/2.8L II, 100mm L IS Macro, Sigma 85mm, & 35mm f/1.4's, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, Canon 2x Extender II, Kenko 1.4x, 430 EX II, Elinchroms

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2013, 02:49:17 PM »

LDS

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2013, 02:54:34 PM »
with a sensor that is completely surpassed by small cameras every 3 years. Except this one will be firmware crippled just like Canon's cinema line.
If the camera had separate backs you could upgrade the sensor just upgrading the back and not the whole body. For some professional photographers is some specific fields being able to change just the back and get a sensor suitable for a given task could be a plus.

JoeDavid

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2013, 02:58:07 PM »
Maybe it'll be a real medium format:  6x7  ;D

You mean 6x6, right?  ::)

He probably means 6x7.  There used to be 6x4.5, 6x6, 6x7, 6x9, and 6x12 panorama...

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2013, 02:58:55 PM »
MF video? Hello IMAX.  8)

LDS

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2013, 03:12:47 PM »
I think if Canon prices and specs the camera well enough this could be very interesting.

I can't really see the business case for a low end MF camera. Most "prosumers" would just find it too bulky, slow and expensive compared to a good FF DSLR for most of their photos. It was true in the days of film and it is still true. Moreover I wouldn't call a 5-7k camera a "prosumer" one, at the prices you can buy a  6D/5D MkIII and two/three very good lenses.
Moreover most LF users AFAIK prefer high quality primes to zooms. After all when working with the camera mostly on a tripod in a controlled environment framing can be done moving the camera and/or changing the lenses.
Also MF usually lack supertelephoto because they would be really big and heavy, while many lenses has a leaf shutter because of faster flash synch speed, especially when using studio flash lamps and not dedicated strobes.
If Canon really wish to enter this market it has to do with the right specs for the existing market, not try to create a new one that could never materialize.

bchernicoff

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • My Photos
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2013, 03:15:31 PM »
He probably means 6x7.  There used to be 6x4.5, 6x6, 6x7, 6x9, and 6x12 panorama...

I don't think the innovation would come in sensor size, but rather a medium format CMOS sensor with BIG photosites and unheard of low-light capabilities. Aren't all current MF sensors CCDs that can't shoot past ISO 1600?
6D, Fuji X-E1

LDS

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2013, 03:20:40 PM »
Unless EF lenses have a image circle large enough to cover properly a larger sensor, such kinf of adapter would be totally useless. Unless it has additional optics like an extender to enlarge the image, but then mount diameter and flange distance are not a big problem - although you get all the extender disadvantages.
As someone else wrote it may have more sense to mount an high-end LF lens on a 1Dx (or a future high megapixel FF), for example, to get a better quality due to the use of just the inner part of the image circle at the expense of a bulkier (and more expensive) lens.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2013, 03:20:40 PM »

untitled10

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2013, 04:16:50 PM »

I don't think the innovation would come in sensor size, but rather a medium format CMOS sensor with BIG photosites and unheard of low-light capabilities. Aren't all current MF sensors CCDs that can't shoot past ISO 1600?

I think this would be really good, its a gap in the market, if they price it right

and think about the industrial and scientific applications if they do!

Ellen Schmidtee

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2013, 05:41:11 PM »

<snip>

EDIT: To be clear, my original comment NOT talking about mounting an existing EF lens on a medium format camera.

That is exactly what I was talking about - adapting an existing EF lens to on medium format camera.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2013, 05:41:11 PM »