September 14, 2014, 10:03:46 PM

Author Topic: 1Ds Mark IV Information [CR2]  (Read 10445 times)

elusive1

Re: 1Ds Mark IV Information [CR2]
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2011, 01:42:27 PM »
October announcement with an April release? That's a 6 month gap. What happened to this statement a few days ago?

"it was also flatly said that “Canon will announce a new camera when it’s done, and not a minute before”. Canon has no desire to announce a camera and it not be available for 2-3 months."

I'd be happy with a 2 month gap, but 6 months? Really bad.

I think nobody, including Canon as it's starting to seem, has any idea when they're going to release anything. I think Digic V is giving them a lot of problems, and that's probably why the crazy secrecy to string people along.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2011, 01:42:27 PM »

bornshooter

• 5D Mark III
  • Love L series glass
    • View Profile
    • my flickr
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2011, 01:46:02 PM »
im beginning to wonder about the credibility of your contacts

Stone

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2011, 01:46:20 PM »
yeah, I don't expect this to be an affordable body.  If they merge, it's got to have improved IQ as compared to the 1DsIII and improved performance as compared to the 1DIV.  If true, I'll bet Canon continues selling the 1DIV for a while after this body is released.  I can't see it being any cheaper than 6-7K.  6months is a long wait, glad I just ordered a 7D so I can wait for those prices to come down a bit.
5D III gripped | 7D gripped | 35L | 24-70 2.8L II USM | 70-200 2.8L IS II USM | 85 1.8 |

Lawliet

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2011, 01:52:09 PM »
You always can increase the number of readout channels, basically structuring the sensor like multiple adjoined independent units.

As for the mechanical components: using at least one electronic curtain would make things easier, and with improvements very sensible for video that might come for free.

Those RAWs would be in the 45-50MB ballpark. A good CFast card could store 3 per second, with CF or SD topping out at 2/s at best. Even dual slots wouldn't make it a viable substitute for buffer space. Reading only a fraction of the sensor  like the D2x did would help, or just using 2-4GB of RAM for really nice buffer depths.

Wouldn't a unified 1D-Line make some room for a body in the 3,5k range, somewhat lower resolution and speed, but without feeling crippled? ;D

whistlerdan

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2011, 02:06:14 PM »
I don't see what they have to gain by announcing a camera 6 or 7 months ahead of it's shipping date.  Wouldn't that be unprecedented ?

Canihaspicture

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2011, 02:24:22 PM »
30 or 32 Megapixels... That's great for a 5d Mark III but a 1Ds... I don't know, I'm not impressed.

Lawliet

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2011, 02:33:35 PM »
Forget about that number, diminishing returns on all fronts.40 instead of 30 would be only 15% more linear resolution, but after factors like diffraction, the AA filter , real life lenses and such kick in you're lucky if half of that remains.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2011, 02:33:35 PM »

Rukes

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2011, 04:07:33 PM »
October announcement with an April release? That's a 6 month gap. What happened to this statement a few days ago?

"it was also flatly said that “Canon will announce a new camera when it’s done, and not a minute before”. Canon has no desire to announce a camera and it not be available for 2-3 months."

I'd be happy with a 2 month gap, but 6 months? Really bad.

6 months seems really crazy between an announcement and the release date, I think all previous Canon cameras have announced it, then hit stores around 2 months later.

Only exception was probably the 8-15mm, announced at the end of August with a planned release date of January. A lens they can get away with, a new body they can't. Would give competition way too much time to put out something new that would take away from sales in the meantime.

Lawliet

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2011, 04:59:55 PM »
Keep in mind that we aren't talking about entry level. The intended customer can't simply buy the  other product on the shelf. Knowing whats coming would make it easier not to think to much about the new toys on the other side, just as the 200-400/4 mock up helps people not to get too tempted by the Nikkor.

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2011, 05:01:30 PM »
A couple of things.

I wonder what people mean by "merging" the 1D and 1Ds lines. The 1D isn't even two years old. I'm not aware of any reason Canon would need to replace that body. So, it makes sense to me that they will continue to sell the 1D for as long as photographers buy it.

I can't see them making an announcement that they are abandoning the line, rather I expect them to simply let it go until the demand no longer justifies making the body. You can still get a Canon EOS-1V film camera from Adorama. We may never see an updated 1D, but I would be surprised if Canon made a formal announcement that they are abandoning the format.

Next, I have a question for those who need more megapixels. Is 32 mp enough? Could this be the worst of both worlds? Too large of files for photojournalists, not enough megapixels for studio shooters? If I'm doing the math right, this scales out to about 12mp in APS-C. That doesn't seem that groundbreaking.

Not criticisms. Not even a strong opinion as this camera is never going to be in my budget. But, just some thoughts.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

Dave

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2011, 05:46:50 PM »
I wonder what people mean by "merging" the 1D and 1Ds lines.
Merging makes a lot of sense - especially in the pro area. The product cycles (can you say that in english??) in the pro segment are quite(!!!) long. The 1DS is 4 years old. In terms of digital quipment this is an eternity. The development is quite fast here. And especially the pro users don't want to wait that long for new features.

But development costs a lot of money. So it's better to have jsut one high-level product instead of two and add fill up the product line with "lower" cameras. Canon splitted the 50D to the 60D and the 7D and they relased a new series 1xxxD and on so it wouldn't be THAT far out to merge two lines on the other end of the line.

Shnookums

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2011, 06:09:16 PM »
I wonder what people mean by "merging" the 1D and 1Ds lines. The 1D isn't even two years old. I'm not aware of any reason Canon would need to replace that body. So, it makes sense to me that they will continue to sell the 1D for as long as photographers buy it.

With the 7D around, people who need a sport camera have a great camera with capable auto-focus. Maybe Canon know the next 7DII will have the 45 point AF or something even better. For those who need range, the 1.6x is also a nice thing. So why keep the 1D around?

I can't see them making an announcement that they are abandoning the line, rather I expect them to simply let it go until the demand no longer justifies making the body.

Yes, Canon would not stop selling the 1D. But it would be cheaper than the new 1Ds and when the 7DII is out, maybe it will do 10fps and have close to the same weather sealing

Is 32 mp enough? Could this be the worst of both worlds? Too large of files for photojournalists, not enough megapixels for studio shooters?

32mp is not a bad bump up from 21... Photo-journaliste can use sRAW file. The way I see it... 5fps @ 32mp and 10fps @ lower resolution. So when you need high res for landscape shoot full RAW. When you need quick action, you can sacrifice rez for speed. Anyway who need a serie of 3000 volleyball photos in 32mp...

akiskev

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My flickr gallery
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2011, 06:10:11 PM »
The 5DII does 60fps using it's entire sensor at 720p. So Canon knows how the bind pixel to get higher fps.
Since when?????
Flickr | Canon EOS 3 | Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
EF 17-40mm f/4L | EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS | EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS | EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L
Zeiss 35mm f/2.4 | Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 | Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 | Zeiss 200mm f/2.8 | Zeiss 80-200 f/4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2011, 06:10:11 PM »

photogaz

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Photogaz
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2011, 06:15:50 PM »
My biggest problem with sRAW is I never use it.  When I know I can have the resolution I think I need it!

Shnookums

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2011, 06:29:45 PM »
The 5DII does 60fps using it's entire sensor at 720p. So Canon knows how the bind pixel to get higher fps.
Since when?????

It doesnt? My bad :) ~ I dont have a 5DII. But it does 30fps @ 1080p. My point was that when lowering the resolution by binding pixel together, the 5DII can read its sensor faster.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2011, 06:29:45 PM »