July 30, 2014, 07:38:51 PM

Author Topic: Some EOS M Information [CR1]  (Read 11062 times)

tcmatthews

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Some EOS M Information [CR1]
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2013, 10:31:23 PM »
The biggest problem with the M was the zero store presence.  The naysayers could say anything they want about it but there was no way to prove them wrong or right with out a store presence.  I have to question if Canon US is even taking this seriously.

At best the current M is a nice advanced point and shoot with out the physical buttons.   In order to attract my interest the next M needs a EVF, more physical controls, a flip out screen like on 60d, and WI-FI.  In fact it needs to be controllable with out looking up from the viewfinder.  With out these items I will be sticking with my NEX regardless of canons superior 70D auto focus in a hypothetical M-2.  Half of the time I use it with Fd lens and I double that Canon will add focus peeking. 

It will likely be a long time before canon can compete against current mirror less cameras on a per feature basis.  So unless they release the ultimate mirror-less  I will be using a NEX probably for the foreseeable future.  Especially because none of the competition is standing still. 

That said I enjoying my nice cheep new high end point and shoot EOS M with 22mm f2.
6D, 60D, Rebel XS, EF-S 15-85,  EF 70-200f4L, EF 100f2.8L,  Tamron 70-300VC,  Tamaron 28-75f2.8,   EF 40f2.8,  EF 50f1.8, EF 85f1.8, EF 24mmf2.8IS  EOS M 22f2, 18-55, EOS M-EF adapter, Nex6,  SEL50f18,  SEL1018,  DN 30f2.8, adpaters and Fd and M42 lens.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2013, 10:31:23 PM »

Phenix205

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2013, 11:36:23 PM »
Shooting video with the current M is a bloody pain in a butt. I like the manual exposure control but the AF sucks big time. I am not expecting huge improvement on the still image quality but do wish Canon do something intelligent on the video function (70D sensor or better) and make the next M look better.
5D3 | M | 1v
70-200 II | 24-70 II | 16-35 IS | 100 L | 85L II | 40 | 600EX-RT

Dylan777

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.500px.com/home
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2013, 11:49:53 PM »
It would be foolish to look at the sales figures of the M and conclude the market isn't interested in this class of camera.  Canon was the last one to market and introduced an inferior product with no lens selection. 

Don't get me wrong.  I'm not saying the M takes bad photos.  I'm saying it isn't competitive in terms of AF performance, features or lens selection with micro 4/3, NEX, or Fuji's new mirrorless system.  Why would any informed person buy it at full price?

I really agree with this outlook... I have an Olympus OMD and 10 lenses which give me a full micro kit which I just love to use when I don't want or need to carry the big guns.

I agree 100%. And here is Olympus pulling even further ahead with the NEW OM-D  EM1. I can't wait for this one.
http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2013/08/18/the-olympus-om-d-e-m1-the-king-of-micro-43/

-PW

I can't wait for Sony rumor FF mirrorless that allow user to swap lenses ;)
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zee-bytes
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2013, 04:24:20 AM »
"If only the new M had wifi and GPS and EVF and flippy outy screen and a flash and better video" ... and all that other stuff you people want - you'd end up with a EOS M brick.

It's small and compact. Fix the bugs and leave it alone.

If you want all that other stuff buy a SL1 or rebel.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 04:26:30 AM by Zv »
5D II | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14mm f/2.8 | Sigma 50 f/1.4

EOS M | 22 f/2 | 11-22 IS

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2013, 08:53:53 AM »
"If only the new M had wifi and GPS and EVF and flippy outy screen and a flash and better video" ... and all that other stuff you people want - you'd end up with a EOS M brick.

It should have dual card slots, have a main dial and a rear dial, a bigger battery, and a FF sensor, too.  Oh, wait...that's a 5DIII. 

Agreed - the point of the M is that it's small.  Keep it that way.  Or, as has been suggested, split the lines and have one version with an EVF and another without (note that Canon does that with some of their camcorder lines).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

dickgrafixstop

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2013, 10:28:01 AM »
does the phrase "putting perfume on a pig" come to mind?

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2013, 10:34:29 AM »

It should have dual card slots, have a main dial and a rear dial, a bigger battery, and a FF sensor, too.  Oh, wait...that's a 5DIII. 

Agreed - the point of the M is that it's small.  Keep it that way.  Or, as has been suggested, split the lines and have one version with an EVF and another without (note that Canon does that with some of their camcorder lines).

I agree completely.  My 6D is already reasonably light and compact for a FF body.  The EOS M is a completely different animal - keep it that way.  The next generation of sensor for noise and AF is welcome, but the form factor is great (just please reposition the buttons so you can pull it out of a case without turning it on!).  I would also welcome a hair more grip, but that is nitpicking.
6D x 2 | EOS-M w/22mm f/2 + 18-55 STM + EF Adapter| Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 35mm f/2 IS | 40mm f/2.8 | 100L | 135L | 70-300L -----OLD SCHOOL----- SMC Takumar 28mm f/3.5, Super Takumar 35mm f/3.5, SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8, Helios 44-2 and 44-4, Super Takumar 150mm f/4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2013, 10:34:29 AM »

comsense

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2013, 10:52:02 AM »

+1 to leave it alone and just fix bugs

Bob Howland

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2013, 11:12:51 AM »

We'll have to agree to disagree about that. I never put my camera in my pocket anyway, so pocket-able size doesn't matter to me. The model that I want would have a user interface and size similar to the G series, up to G1X size, only with a world class EVF. I would also give a hard look at something like the Olympus E-M1. A tiny 15-85 f/3.5-5.6 lens would also be greatly appreciated.

Mellonhead

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2013, 11:27:11 AM »
My view is almost directly opposite to the mainstream opinion. I upgraded from my old 30D to the EOS-M. I prefer not having a viewfinder because I find it's not necessary with the good LCD screen.  I actually like the touchscreen controls, they just take a few days to get used to - like when I fist got a DSLR with all those buttons.  In fact, the EOS-M would be cleaner if they did away with the redundant circular control on the back and just kept the menu button.

I'm taking better pictures now than ever before because the EOS-M is a better camera than my old 30D.

BL

• 7D
  • Great gear is good. Good technique is better.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2013, 12:07:25 PM »
My view is almost directly opposite to the mainstream opinion. I upgraded from my old 30D to the EOS-M. I prefer not having a viewfinder because I find it's not necessary with the good LCD screen.  I actually like the touchscreen controls...

...I'm taking better pictures now than ever before because the EOS-M is a better camera than my old 30D.

+1.  I leave my FF behind now (or stow it with the 40 as backup).   I prefer the way live view works with the M's touch screen for tripod/MF shooting for landscape/backpacking photography.  I don't miss the viewfinder at all and frankly find this experience refreshing, as I find myself not having to make compromises for the sake of ergonomics (keeping tripod eye level to relieve back strain on a long trek, profoundly less weight & bulk, etc.)

this little gem is a game changer for my work. 
but oh well... haters gonna hate haha
M, 5Dc, 1Dx, some lenses, a few lights

drjlo

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2013, 12:22:34 PM »
I prefer the way live view works with the M's touch screen for tripod/MF shooting for landscape/backpacking photography. 

With the firmware update, the M's live view shooting is so much faster and convenient than any of the Canon rebels or my 5D III live view shooting.  M's touch-to-shoot mode is especially fast, faster than shooting via M's release button.  I wouldn't want to add a viewfinder to M at the cost of increased size/weight/cost. 

In a perfect world, I would have liked a little better sensor in it with a tad more DR and a tad better high ISO noise performance; I would trade away megapixels for that, maybe a 12-14 MP sensor or so.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 12:29:16 PM by drjlo »

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2013, 06:40:19 PM »

I agree completely.  My 6D is already reasonably light and compact for a FF body.  The EOS M is a completely different animal - keep it that way.  The next generation of sensor for noise and AF is welcome, but the form factor is great (just please reposition the buttons so you can pull it out of a case without turning it on!).  I would also welcome a hair more grip, but that is nitpicking.

If you don't use the neck strap, stick one of these on there and pull it out with that. No more auto on...

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-AH-N1000-Black-Leather-Strap/dp/B005OMONXY/ref=sr_1_13?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1377124639&sr=1-13&keywords=nikon+wrist+strap

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2013, 06:40:19 PM »

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2013, 06:47:10 PM »
And as far as the touchscreen goes...I absolutely love it and I really hope they start putting them on their DSLRs. The only physical buttons that I really miss are for zoom. I find pinching to be frequently inconvenient.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2013, 06:47:10 PM »