September 19, 2014, 03:54:56 PM

Author Topic: Some EOS M Information [CR1]  (Read 11766 times)

michi

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Some EOS M Information [CR1]
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2013, 06:56:49 PM »
Still waiting for the 11-22, yawn...

Order it from Canada.

No thanks, if Canon won't support their own product lines, I'm not going to give them any more money for it.  I love the M, but I'll switch over to the SL1 and use all my EF-S lenses if they are not fully behind the M.  Or maybe get something completely different.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2013, 06:56:49 PM »

t.linn

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • You Must Have A Really Nice Camera
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2013, 07:09:10 PM »
It would be foolish to look at the sales figures of the M and conclude the market isn't interested in this class of camera.  Canon was the last one to market and introduced an inferior product with no lens selection. 

Don't get me wrong.  I'm not saying the M takes bad photos.  I'm saying it isn't competitive in terms of AF performance, features or lens selection with micro 4/3, NEX, or Fuji's new mirrorless system.  Why would any informed person buy it at full price?

comsense

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2013, 07:14:42 PM »
Why should people overcome adversities to support imperfect product (only blind fanboys do that)?

Fair enough.  Can you please point us in the direction of that 'perfect product' your statement implies exists?  ::)
You caught me here  :); I would have to say none but I am outside +/- 2 sigma of normal distribution and I have a feeling so are you (which side is not important ;D ). OTOH, deficient may be better choice of word (not perfect though).
Seriously, how many people here would have bought it just for the product; without $299 deal?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2013, 07:21:27 PM »
Seriously, how many people here would have bought it just for the product; without $299 deal?

I don't know...but I wouldn't have (and didn't).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

comsense

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2013, 07:29:42 PM »
Why should people overcome adversities to support imperfect product (only blind fanboys do that)?

Fair enough.  Can you please point us in the direction of that 'perfect product' your statement implies exists?  ::)

How about something that sells spectacularly well, far beyond expectations and makes incredible profits for its manufacturer? There may not be such a thing as a "perfect" product but, according to the marketplace, the original M body was thoroughly imperfect. I also don't see why it is a sign of good character ("overcome adversities") to waste money on that bad a product.
When Canon was pounding Nikon with spectacular sales of 5DII, Nikon fanboys were coming with the similar arguments. I am sure Nikon has been trying so hard just to please fanboys; profits have nothing to do with it  ;D ;D ;D.

Bruce Photography

• EOS M2
  • Landscapes, 5DX,7D,60D,EOSM,D800/E,D810,D7100
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2013, 07:39:05 PM »

Me neither.  I paid $349 and I was still happy.  I even paid $419 to get the red with the flash and the 18-55 lens which is a great outdoor lens.  I've been taking some really nice portraits with the 85mm 1.8 as well as the 50mm 1.4.  I thought I'd order the cheap 50mm 1.8 and the cheap pancake 40mm 2.8 all because of their light weight.  Combined with the 22mm F2, I'll have 22, 40, and 50mm primes that are all 2.8 or faster for inside and the 18-55 for general outside shots.  I can always put on the 85mm 1.8 for candid shots as well or the 135mm F2 for some really tight crops.  And I haven't even tried the 8-15 fisheye or the 14 yet.  This is fun...

comsense

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2013, 07:51:53 PM »

I wouldn't have either; for sure....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2013, 07:51:53 PM »

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2013, 08:05:06 PM »

I bought it @ $299 and used it as P&S camera. Since it quite big for jean pocket, I ended up selling it at $365 and replaced with Sony RX100 II.

Last week, I won another M + 22mm from a golf tourmament, not sure what to do with it yet. I can sell it to you?  :P
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

AvTvM

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2013, 08:12:04 PM »
1. I will NOT buy the current EOS-M .. no matter how low the porice may drop. I have no use for a camera with shtty AF-performance worse than any micor-sensored compact camera.
2. I will NOT buy a new EOS-M that is similarly sI have pecced. I have no use for a camera with sh*tty AF-performance worse than any micor-sensored compact camera.
3. I would buy an EOS-M that is absolutely equal to the EOS 70D in every respect - and costs 300 Euro less, since it has no expensive to manufacture and calibrate mirror-stuff built in and no expensive glass prism.

I don't care what Canon does or doesn't. Either they produce exactly what I want at a price not higher than competitors ... or I simply will not buy. For the time being my 7D, EF-S and EF lenses are still doing fine. No need to buy EOS-M lenses and inferior/inadequate Canon mirrorless cameras.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2013, 08:44:40 PM »
1. I will NOT buy the current EOS-M .. no matter how low the porice may drop. I have no use for a camera with shtty AF-performance worse than any micor-sensored compact camera.

I don't care what Canon does or doesn't. Either they produce exactly what I want at a price not higher than competitors ... or I simply will not buy. For the time being my 7D, EF-S and EF lenses are still doing fine. No need to buy EOS-M lenses and inferior/inadequate Canon mirrorless cameras.

That's your choice, of course.  FWIW, the EOS M focuses a lot faster than my S100.  It's not as fast as my 1D X, but that's ok - it's not as big, either (and yes, both of those are big understatements).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

jebrady03

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2013, 09:07:35 PM »
Still waiting for the 11-22, yawn...

Order it from Canada.

No thanks, if Canon won't support their own product lines, I'm not going to give them any more money for it.  I love the M, but I'll switch over to the SL1 and use all my EF-S lenses if they are not fully behind the M.  Or maybe get something completely different.

Ehh.. Suit yourself...

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zee-bytes
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2013, 09:47:22 PM »
Dang I'm sensing a real negative vibe on this thread! Ya'll need to chill it's only a rumor. And If you don't like it don't buy it. I don't like Marmite but you know what? I just walk past it on the shelf even though I know it's throwing me daggers!

;D

Tuesdays eh? Must be a slow day for everyone!

5D II | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14mm f/2.8 | Sigma 50 f/1.4

EOS M | 22 f/2 | 11-22 IS

docsmith

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2013, 10:27:21 PM »
I got the EOS-M 18-55 + flash for $419.  I've since picked up the EF-M 22 f/2 from ebay for $124.  I have to say, I am really very happy with the system. It's size is a little awkward, but what a great compact system.  The IQ and ISO/noise performance is similar to my 7D.  I am very happy and can't wait to buy the adaptor so I can travel with it as my back up body to my 5DIII. 

But I stumbled across the flaw with the EOS-M.  No built in camera flash.  I think the M is great for those of us with DSLRs and flashes.  The 90 ex works well.  But my mom was visiting this weekend and was tempted to buy one for herself.  At first, I thought it was a great idea and was showing her all the touch screen stuff and some sharp images.  She used to shoot film SLRs so she kind of liked it was more than a P&S in size.  But as soon as we started talking about her using it everywhere, shooting indoors, and she wanted the zoom, so she would need the flash and then I looked at her and recommended the Sony or the Olympus.  The M without a built in flash just won't work for most people's "do everything" camera.   

So, I can accept my M with it's flaws.  I've bought into the Canon system and it is a great compliment to my kit.  The IQ is shockingly good for a small camera.  But for those that haven't bought into the Canon system, there are simply better options out there...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2013, 10:27:21 PM »

Swphoto

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2013, 10:33:55 PM »

We own both the SL1 and the M, along with a 5D3. To my knowledge, there is nothing that comes close to the EOS M + 22mm from a size/image quality perspective. You can use the 40mm pancake and be in the right ballpark from a size perspective, but that's not nearly wide enough for a general purpose setup - for my preferences, at least, and it's slower and potentially not as sharp wide open.

If Canon released a 20-24mm pancake EF or EF-S with similar image quality to the EF-M 22mm, I might consider getting rid of the M. Until then, it's a very handy combo to have around.

EverydayGetaway

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2013, 10:56:38 PM »
You caught me here  :); I would have to say none but I am outside +/- 2 sigma of normal distribution and I have a feeling so are you (which side is not important ;D ). OTOH, deficient may be better choice of word (not perfect though).

I had to join this forum just because I find the rumors here very interesting at times and it seems a majority of the threads I enter for the M are full of people mindlessly bashing it based mostly on reviews or opinions they heard about it.

I bought my M for $400 about a month before the fire-sale and I don't regret it one bit, I nearly paid $499 for it and was excited to see it on sale for $399 with the 22mm STM.

Before buying it I was almost certain I was going to buy a NEX-5 or Olympus EPL-5, both were around the same price as the M at the time and I refused to pay more than that for a backup camera.  I went and tested the 3 cameras in a store and couldn't believe the bad rap the M was(is) got, yes the focus was slower than the Olympus and the Sony, but definitely not so slow that it was un-useable (and this was pre-firmware update).  I still wasn't sold on it, but then I used the Sony's awful (imo) LCD sreen (colors were off, resolution seemed much lower than the spec sheet) and the even worse menu system, took it out of the equation.  Then when trying the Olympus I was very impressed by the AF speed, but again the LCD was awful and the menu's were barely any better than the Sony, but the worst offender for both was the build quality was nowhere near as nice as the M!  The M feels like a quality product, it's solid as a rock, has easy to use menus, a super responsive and beautiful touch screen and just great general fit and finish, oh, and it can use my EF glass!  Win!

After the firmware update I have zero issues with my M and I honestly think people that continue to bash it either haven't used it (or the competition) or they have unrealistic expectations for a $500 or less camera (I do think the original asking price of $800 was way too high though, that I'll give people).
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 10:59:10 PM by EverydayGetaway »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2013, 10:56:38 PM »