October 21, 2014, 01:09:33 PM

Author Topic: Some EOS M Information [CR1]  (Read 12395 times)

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
Re: Some EOS M Information [CR1]
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2013, 12:08:20 AM »
It would be foolish to look at the sales figures of the M and conclude the market isn't interested in this class of camera.  Canon was the last one to market and introduced an inferior product with no lens selection. 

Don't get me wrong.  I'm not saying the M takes bad photos.  I'm saying it isn't competitive in terms of AF performance, features or lens selection with micro 4/3, NEX, or Fuji's new mirrorless system.  Why would any informed person buy it at full price?

I really agree with this outlook...I understand that the M is built well and that the IQ is great...but the real deal breaker for me is that there is no VF available for it.  ALL of the competition has that covered and Canon showed up last to the party with no VF and slower AF??? I realize that everyone does not feel as I do...but I can not get serious about creating images while making monkey shines behind a screen I can't really see very well in daylight at all...so I would not pay 99 cents for a camera that I would not use.
I own a 5DIII full kit and I could never consider this as back up (but that doesn't make me "right"...it's just my outlook).  I have an Olympus OMD and 10 lenses which give me a full micro kit which I just love to use when I don't want or need to carry the big guns. Lots of decently fast primes and a joy to use!
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma Art, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2013, 12:08:20 AM »

RGomezPhotos

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • Ricardo Gomez Photography
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2013, 01:27:40 AM »
Primes, primes, primes!  I'd like those on a pancake, please!

It would make me very happy to see a pancake EF-M 35 mm f/1.8~2.0 for portraiture.

35mm or 50mm.  I love 50mm on a cropped sensor.
EOS 5D MKII & 50D, Zeiss 50mm f1.4
www.ricardogomezphotography.com

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2013, 01:39:36 AM »
You caught me here  :); I would have to say none but I am outside +/- 2 sigma of normal distribution and I have a feeling so are you (which side is not important ;D ). OTOH, deficient may be better choice of word (not perfect though).
Seriously, how many people here would have bought it just for the product; without $299 deal?

I had to join this forum just because I find the rumors here very interesting at times and it seems a majority of the threads I enter for the M are full of people mindlessly bashing it based mostly on reviews or opinions they heard about it.

I bought my M for $400 about a month before the fire-sale and I don't regret it one bit, I nearly paid $499 for it and was excited to see it on sale for $399 with the 22mm STM.

Before buying it I was almost certain I was going to buy a NEX-5 or Olympus EPL-5, both were around the same price as the M at the time and I refused to pay more than that for a backup camera.  I went and tested the 3 cameras in a store and couldn't believe the bad rap the M was(is) got, yes the focus was slower than the Olympus and the Sony, but definitely not so slow that it was un-useable (and this was pre-firmware update).  I still wasn't sold on it, but then I used the Sony's awful (imo) LCD sreen (colors were off, resolution seemed much lower than the spec sheet) and the even worse menu system, took it out of the equation.  Then when trying the Olympus I was very impressed by the AF speed, but again the LCD was awful and the menu's were barely any better than the Sony, but the worst offender for both was the build quality was nowhere near as nice as the M!  The M feels like a quality product, it's solid as a rock, has easy to use menus, a super responsive and beautiful touch screen and just great general fit and finish, oh, and it can use my EF glass!  Win!

After the firmware update I have zero issues with my M and I honestly think people that continue to bash it either haven't used it (or the competition) or they have unrealistic expectations for a $500 or less camera (I do think the original asking price of $800 was way too high though, that I'll give people).

Well said and welcome to the fight forum! Yes, it seems the combination of high intro price and substandard AF turned off a lot of people, most people, almost everyone. It'll be interesting to see where it goes from here.

CarlMillerPhoto

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2013, 01:45:50 AM »
3. I would buy an EOS-M that is absolutely equal to the EOS 70D in every respect - and costs 300 Euro less, since it has no expensive to manufacture and calibrate mirror-stuff built in and no expensive glass prism.

I don't care what Canon does or doesn't. Either they produce exactly what I want at a price not higher than competitors ... or I simply will not buy. For the time being my 7D, EF-S and EF lenses are still doing fine. No need to buy EOS-M lenses and inferior/inadequate Canon mirrorless cameras.

I know!!!!!!! What's Canon's problem?! While they're at it they should get a clue and put all of the 1DX features into a S100 sized body at a $99 price point....  >:(
My photography equipment goes here, apparently.

RGomezPhotos

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • Ricardo Gomez Photography
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2013, 01:52:30 AM »
You caught me here  :); I would have to say none but I am outside +/- 2 sigma of normal distribution and I have a feeling so are you (which side is not important ;D ). OTOH, deficient may be better choice of word (not perfect though).
Seriously, how many people here would have bought it just for the product; without $299 deal?

I had to join this forum just because I find the rumors here very interesting at times and it seems a majority of the threads I enter for the M are full of people mindlessly bashing it based mostly on reviews or opinions they heard about it.

I bought my M for $400 about a month before the fire-sale and I don't regret it one bit, I nearly paid $499 for it and was excited to see it on sale for $399 with the 22mm STM.

Before buying it I was almost certain I was going to buy a NEX-5 or Olympus EPL-5, both were around the same price as the M at the time and I refused to pay more than that for a backup camera.  I went and tested the 3 cameras in a store and couldn't believe the bad rap the M was(is) got, yes the focus was slower than the Olympus and the Sony, but definitely not so slow that it was un-useable (and this was pre-firmware update).  I still wasn't sold on it, but then I used the Sony's awful (imo) LCD sreen (colors were off, resolution seemed much lower than the spec sheet) and the even worse menu system, took it out of the equation.  Then when trying the Olympus I was very impressed by the AF speed, but again the LCD was awful and the menu's were barely any better than the Sony, but the worst offender for both was the build quality was nowhere near as nice as the M!  The M feels like a quality product, it's solid as a rock, has easy to use menus, a super responsive and beautiful touch screen and just great general fit and finish, oh, and it can use my EF glass!  Win!

After the firmware update I have zero issues with my M and I honestly think people that continue to bash it either haven't used it (or the competition) or they have unrealistic expectations for a $500 or less camera (I do think the original asking price of $800 was way too high though, that I'll give people).

Totally agree.  It's one thing not to like a camera for a particular reason.  It's another to say it's a big piece of junk.  I've played with all the Rebels and SL1 and I'll say..  They are damn fine cameras.  Nothing is perfect.  If you can't take a good pic with a Rebel, nothing is going to help you.  The EOS-M looks to be the same.  Not perfect.  But for what it is, it's pretty darn nice.  Would LOVE to have one!

Give me a pancake prime 50mm!  LOL!
EOS 5D MKII & 50D, Zeiss 50mm f1.4
www.ricardogomezphotography.com

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2013, 03:49:51 AM »
It would be foolish to look at the sales figures of the M and conclude the market isn't interested in this class of camera.  Canon was the last one to market and introduced an inferior product with no lens selection. 

Don't get me wrong.  I'm not saying the M takes bad photos.  I'm saying it isn't competitive in terms of AF performance, features or lens selection with micro 4/3, NEX, or Fuji's new mirrorless system.  Why would any informed person buy it at full price?
I really agree with this outlook... I have an Olympus OMD and 10 lenses which give me a full micro kit which I just love to use when I don't want or need to carry the big guns.
I agree 100%. And here is Olympus pulling even further ahead with the NEW OM-D  EM1. I can't wait for this one.
http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2013/08/18/the-olympus-om-d-e-m1-the-king-of-micro-43/

-PW

noncho

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • NonchoILiev.com
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2013, 04:12:53 AM »
I'm interested in macro lens for M, I have EF-s 60 macro and the same with IS for M would be great.
Telephoto zoom... well, I prefer 70-100mm small prime for portraits and street. Something like Pentax 70 2.4(small, great image quality). Telephoto zoom - 50-150 F4 would be better than 50-200 5.6.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2013, 04:12:53 AM »

Grummbeerbauer

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2013, 10:46:50 AM »
I think if Canon put the 70D sensor into the next EOS M camera (a quite obvious move, wouldn't it?) that could quickly turn the M system from the being the EVIL system with the worst AF speed (although the recent firmware upgrade seems to have mitigated that issue at least to some degree...) to becoming market leader - in particular for tracking moving objects, where a purely contrast-detection based AF system has a serious conceptual disadvantage.
If they get this to market, I might seriously consider adding an EOS M2 (or whatever the call it) as a backup body to my 7D.

vab3

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2013, 04:03:34 PM »
I'm guessing they will add that dual pixel technology to improve the AF, and then they'll have a winner.  As good a quality as a xxD line in a smaller package plus you can use your existing lenses.   This  "enthusiast" market, though, is  small compared to the smartphone shooters who want to foray into higher quality images, and really don't want something bulky like a DSLR.  That's the market Canon wants, and I think their timing is good.

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2013, 05:28:01 PM »
I'd say most of the M bashers in this thread have never used an M.
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100/2.8 | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

Vagabondman

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2013, 06:57:54 PM »
If Canon wants to head off the iphone & smartphone eating their lunch in the pocket camera market, they should come out with a FF EOS-M camera. Now THAT would be news.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2013, 07:10:37 PM »
If Canon wants to head off the iphone & smartphone eating their lunch in the pocket camera market, they should come out with a FF EOS-M camera. Now THAT would be news.

Sure, that'd work. Because a FF EOS-M would fit easily in a pocket and allow people to text their friends.  ::)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Bob Howland

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2013, 07:30:04 PM »
I'd say most of the M bashers in this thread have never used an M.

I "used" one in a store for about 5 minutes. That's all that was required to determine that the nay-sayers were largely correct.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2013, 07:30:04 PM »

kennephoto

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2013, 08:01:40 PM »
I think if Canon put the 70D sensor into the next EOS M camera (a quite obvious move, wouldn't it?) that could quickly turn the M system from the being the EVIL system with the worst AF speed (although the recent firmware upgrade seems to have mitigated that issue at least to some degree...) to becoming market leader - in particular for tracking moving objects, where a purely contrast-detection based AF system has a serious conceptual disadvantage.
If they get this to market, I might seriously consider adding an EOS M2 (or whatever the call it) as a backup body to my 7D.

Yea the EOS-M is a terrible camera especially at autofocus, its a wonder they even added that option!  ::) For 300$ its great! It keeps up with my kitten or maybe I'm talented! Sure it's not 1D fast but um it's so much smaller lighter and way cheaper! Way better than point and shoots I've used and still better than my iPhone. I know everyone wants a 1Dx that costs less than a grand that's the size of the M but wow get real! Sure there's lots of mirror less cameras out there but EOS-M sure ain't that bad.
Canon 5d Mark II Canon 1D classic EOSM 20-35 2.8L 50 1.2L 135 2.0L 80-200 2.8L 40 Pancake and a bunch of old film cameras

LoneRider

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2013, 08:15:31 PM »
I'm guessing they will add that dual pixel technology to improve the AF, and then they'll have a winner.  As good a quality as a xxD line in a smaller package plus you can use your existing lenses.   This  "enthusiast" market, though, is  small compared to the smartphone shooters who want to foray into higher quality images, and really don't want something bulky like a DSLR.  That's the market Canon wants, and I think their timing is good.

I have to agree.

As soon as I saw the dual pixel 70D my immediate thoughts where the technology will go to a shutter-less medium-high end camera. The EOS-M2 of course.

When the price went down I thought about the EOS-M for my wife, and maybe start looking at selling the 50D body we have. My primary body is a 7D. But with the introduction of the 70D my plans were very quickly scuttled.

The dual pixel sensor would be perfect in the EOS-M, and for a $600'ish camera the EOS-M2 with the sensor from the 70D and the same form factor of the EOS-M, would make a great camera. IMNSHO of course.

So, sadly for my pocketbook, I can see a EOS-M2 and a 7DII in the house in the next year or 2.

We will see, speculation is a fun sport.  And guesses if Johnny Football will be playing this fall???

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2013, 08:15:31 PM »