August 23, 2014, 11:51:34 AM

Poll

Join CPS or not to Join, that is the question...

Do not join CPS
0 (0%)
Join CPS
1 (7.1%)
Join at Silver Level
1 (7.1%)
Join at Gold Level
12 (85.7%)
Join at Platinum Level?
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: August 22, 2013, 10:45:02 PM

Author Topic: To join CPS or not to join? Should I do so before I send in my EF 100-400mm?  (Read 3162 times)

7enderbender

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
I'll be shipping my EF 100-400mm f/4.0-5.6L IS USM off for repair work this week.  It's not been under warranty for several years now. 

When I hit my AF (rear button focus), I can see the center point being pulled down as I look thru the viewfinder, it seems to click and keeps trying to capture focus but fails.  Then I'll push the front shutter button half way for metering or sometimes just click it and take an image and try to focus again and then it will catch again and focus.  When it does focus, it's spot on.  Trouble is, it is only focusing about 1 in 5 images now...

Additionally, I can see part of the inside of the barrel moving when I look in it from the 77mm end.  It will sway back and forth, whatever direction I move the barrel! 

So it's going in, I can't stand it but I need it fixed.  Is it wise to join CPS before I send it in or not?  If so, what level does anyone recommend joining at?

All the best,
Ken :(

Just went through that. I even called them before to see if they had any issues with me joining after my lens broke. In fact, they encourage it even if it's just to get the 30% discount.

So I upgraded my free "silver" membership to "gold", waited for the membership package with the 3-day-rush labels and the free clean & check vouchers and then sent in my broken EF200 for repair and my camera body for cleaning.

The silly old CPS strap and the book that came with the membership are on ebay right now and it looks as if some folks are more than willing to pay enough for those items that it pretty much covers my membership fee. And the 30% does make the repair slightly more palatable. I know, it's probably all a game and a racket that they have factored in in the first place. But I still have a CPS membership card and a pin in the end...
5DII - 50L - 135L - 200 2.8L - 24-105 - 580EXII - 430EXII - FD 500/8 - AE1-p - bag full of FD lenses

surapon

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
    • View Profile
Yes, I am CPS Gold level too, that 3 years ago.
And I have Free CPS member / Silver for long times.
Yes, The Great Thing that I  get to test ( Free Loan) Canon  New Cameras and The Lenses that I want to buy, Before I buy = A++
Yes, 6 years ago, Only time that I send my Canon 1DS to replace the Shutter system ( Damaged after 150,000 Photos) and Tun up the Camera = look like new again.
Surapon
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 01:08:43 PM by surapon »

gferdinandsen

• EOS M2
  • was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker
    • View Profile
    • Home
Just went through that. I even called them before to see if they had any issues with me joining after my lens broke. In fact, they encourage it even if it's just to get the 30% discount.

So I upgraded my free "silver" membership to "gold", waited for the membership package with the 3-day-rush labels and the free clean & check vouchers and then sent in my broken EF200 for repair and my camera body for cleaning.

The silly old CPS strap and the book that came with the membership are on ebay right now and it looks as if some folks are more than willing to pay enough for those items that it pretty much covers my membership fee. And the 30% does make the repair slightly more palatable. I know, it's probably all a game and a racket that they have factored in in the first place. But I still have a CPS membership card and a pin in the end...

I really like the strap, it's way better than Canon's OEM Straps
1v HS, 5D3, 60 Da, 40D (IR), G1-X, 17-40L, 24-70L (Mk II), 24-105L, 70-200L (2.8 Mk 1), 24 TS-E L (Mk 1), 45 TS-E, 50 1.2L, 100 L Macro -- CPS Gold Membership

Krob78

• 1D X
  • When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
    • View Profile
I'll be shipping my EF 100-400mm f/4.0-5.6L IS USM off for repair work this week.  It's not been under warranty for several years now. 

When I hit my AF (rear button focus), I can see the center point being pulled down as I look thru the viewfinder, it seems to click and keeps trying to capture focus but fails.  Then I'll push the front shutter button half way for metering or sometimes just click it and take an image and try to focus again and then it will catch again and focus.  When it does focus, it's spot on.  Trouble is, it is only focusing about 1 in 5 images now...

Additionally, I can see part of the inside of the barrel moving when I look in it from the 77mm end.  It will sway back and forth, whatever direction I move the barrel! 

So it's going in, I can't stand it but I need it fixed.  Is it wise to join CPS before I send it in or not?  If so, what level does anyone recommend joining at?

All the best,
Ken :(

The silly old CPS strap and the book that came with the membership are on ebay right now and it looks as if some folks are more than willing to pay enough for those items that it pretty much covers my membership fee.
What a great idea!
Ken

5D Mark III, 100-400mm L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 II, EF 24-105mm L, EF 17-40mm L, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM,  Canon 580EX II, Canon 430EX II, Promaster TC 1.7x