October 21, 2014, 11:58:47 PM

Author Topic: Ultra portable light stand options/alternatives? Smaller than Manfrotto Nano  (Read 2704 times)

drjlo

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
I have come to the conclusion that I simply am not motivated enough to carry traditional light-stands when I'm asked to "take some photos" as a favor to acquaintances at things like baby birthdays, social gatherings, etc. 

I have some traditional "portable" softboxes and even a lumodi beauty dish, but unless it's a paid gig, I'm simply not motivated enough for the hassle.  As a compromise, I have bought some Rogue Flashbenders/diffusers, which are working out great for ultra-portable 2-light setup.  However, light stands are still a problem.  I do have some Manfrotto Nano clones and some slightly bigger ones, but what are some out-of-box alternatives for portable light stands that just needs to support a speedlite with Flashbender?  I am looking at some microphone stands, maybe even some carbon tripods (have some), which are not that small actually.

EOSD4447 by drjlo1, on Flickr

canon rumors FORUM

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
GorillaPod? Get a couple of the smaller ones that'll support the weight of the speedlites, and get some super cheap ballheads so you can easily rotate them to any direction you need and then you can put them up on coat stands, floor lamps, the top of a cabinet, wherever.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

crasher8

Cheapo tabletop Tripods such as Adorama housebrand.

rexbot

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
I use a Tamrac Zipshot for my P&S camera. Should work well for what you're doing - but they aren't very tall. Light, easy to setup, cheap - at least worth a look:

http://www.tamrac.com/carrying-styles/zipshot-tripods/

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
GorillaPod?

+1 - then just borrow chairs from wherever you go, instant light stand.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Jim Saunders

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
One of Canon's flash tutorial videos with wossname there with the glasses showed the flashes hanging from hooks on the wall held there with 3M command strips.

Jim
See what I see: 6500K, 160 cd/m^2, ICC 2, gamma 2.2.

drjlo

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
GorillaPod?

+1 - then just borrow chairs from wherever you go, instant light stand.

Hmm, borrowing chairs is a good idea since pretty much any place has chairs  ;D

canon rumors FORUM

ocabj

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Manfrotto Super Clamp
Manfrotto 012B 'Backlite' Stand

Halfrack

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
I use a Tamrac Zipshot for my P&S camera. Should work well for what you're doing - but they aren't very tall. Light, easy to setup, cheap - at least worth a look:

http://www.tamrac.com/carrying-styles/zipshot-tripods/

+1 - they work well and have a basic head that can be tilted.
"Me owning a lens shop is kind of like having an alcoholic bar tender." - Roger Cicala

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
+1 on the Gorilla Pod. You can get super clamps to fit them on other stuff too.

winglet

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Ultra portable light stand options/alternatives? Smaller than Manfrotto Nano
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 07:48:24 AM »
Justin clamps, and super clamps. Instead of trying to find smaller stands, just use these to make anything into stands. Chairs, table edges, door frames, whatever.
Canon 1DX, 5DII | 50 f/1.2 | 85 f/1.2II | 100 f/2.8 Macro | 135 f/2 | 16-35 f/2.8 | 24-70 f/2.8II | 70-200 f/2.8II | 200-400 f/4 1.4X | 8-15 f/4 Fisheye | 24 f/3.5TS | 4X 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT | Fuji X100s

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Ultra portable light stand options/alternatives? Smaller than Manfrotto Nano
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 07:48:24 AM »