October 24, 2014, 04:59:39 PM

Author Topic: B+W Filter - No Green Hologram  (Read 5300 times)

lastcoyote

• Rebel T5i
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: B+W Filter - No Green Hologram
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2013, 03:12:56 PM »
now I'm home from work I've managed to check the filter out more and all seems good as per normal B+W quality. I've fitted it to my new 70-200 f/2.8L IS II lens. I've got an 82mm version of the nano xs-pro mounted to my 24-70 f/2.8L II as well. Really great low profile filters with front threads. Very easy to clean too. Will probably make them my default filter for new lenses. If I wasn't so fearful of damaging my front elements I'd of course prefer to go filter-less. Nice to have the extra 'sealing' on the front of these L lenses too.
Canon 5D Mark III | BG-E11 | 24-70 f2.8L II | 70-200 f2.8L IS II | 100 f2.8L IS Macro | 135 f2L | MP-E 65 f2.8 | MT-24EX | 600EX-RT | ST-E3-RT

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2013, 03:12:56 PM »

duydaniel

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2013, 05:24:48 PM »
Yes silver hologram on side like the picture above

I got one sold by Amazon US that has no hologram too.
But I used B+W before and you cannot fake the quality.
So I think as long as you find its quality, keep it.

interesting. did the box have a silver logo on the side like mine or just no hologram at all?

tonymontana277

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2013, 02:11:36 AM »
I got it from Amazon France but it was imported from Germany.

Regards

was it actually Amazon selling it or a Amazon Marketplace seller?

An Amazon marketplace seller from Germany.

I'm pretty confident that my filter is a genuine B+W, it seems good as B+W high quality on my new 16-35 f/2.8L II lens.

lastcoyote

• Rebel T5i
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2013, 06:42:09 AM »
OK I got an email back from Schneider/B+W. Everythings cool 8)

They confirmed that they've recently changed the hologram from the square green one to this new silver one on the side of their boxes. They even attached a PDF doc explaining the change and new hologram spec. Looks like they have plans to at some point make the characters that show on the lower part of it to be traceable online to confirm authenticity.

Anyway there you go. Hopefully this thread and info will help others out who have the same concerns as I did.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 06:46:00 AM by lastcoyote »
Canon 5D Mark III | BG-E11 | 24-70 f2.8L II | 70-200 f2.8L IS II | 100 f2.8L IS Macro | 135 f2L | MP-E 65 f2.8 | MT-24EX | 600EX-RT | ST-E3-RT

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2013, 07:20:44 AM »
I wonder if they changed it because they discovered the B+W green ones were being counterfeited (on counterfeit filters)?  Hope not.

More likely, Schneider just wants to promote the overall brand.  For those who don't know, they've got a large selection of rectangular Schott glass grad ND filters they sell in their MPTV line.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

lastcoyote

• Rebel T5i
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2013, 07:51:24 AM »
I wonder if they changed it because they discovered the B+W green ones were being counterfeited (on counterfeit filters)?  Hope not.

More likely, Schneider just wants to promote the overall brand.  For those who don't know, they've got a large selection of rectangular Schott glass grad ND filters they sell in their MPTV line.

I think your first guess is actually the correct one.
Here's the wording from the doc:

"In order to ensure maximum safety from product fakes of B+W filters to the end user and the photo trade the function of the previous safety label was extended.

The hologram label itself is secure against manipulations. An unnoticed removing or reapplying is not possible. The adhesion as well as the structure of the material are done in a way that the label is self-destructive when trying to remove it. The safety color is located between two material layers. Consequently, a separation effect occurs and a manipulation is immediately apparent. Furthermore, the numeric coding is also placed securely between the material layers.

Furthermore, it is planned to enable the enduser to check the authentication via an online platform."

Plus this bit written next to a picture of the new hologram label:

"The new safety hologram with a size of 10 x15mm with glittering safety color similar to a banknote are positioned on the side of the B+W filter box. Depending on the viewing angle the color is changing, and the authentication number is clearly evident."

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2013, 08:26:43 AM »
I think your first guess is actually the correct one.
Here's the wording from the doc:

Makes sense, thanks!
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2013, 08:26:43 AM »