April 25, 2014, 02:40:24 AM

Author Topic: New Lens Announcement Tonight [CR3]  (Read 8015 times)

WoodyWindy

• Canon AE-1
  • On the road again!
    • View Profile
Re: New Lens Announcement Tonight [CR3]
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2013, 10:08:51 PM »

And no, the existing lens isn't quite in the same league optically or even close in build to most L lenses, though it is optically among "the best of the rest". However, if the optics truly are improved (which was the point of my original post), it will make it hard for most casual or even fairly serious crop users to justify kicking up to the 70-300 L.

When I first got T2i kit with the 18-55, I also bought the 55-250mm 4-5.6 IS lens. It was my first dSLR. I found both lenses to be horrible. I was surprised that Canon would make such bad lenses. The 55-250 is really bad, even my son who is now using the T2i does not want to use it.

If this is really "the best of the rest", then what lenses are worst then the 55-250?

There must be something wrong with that particular 55-250, as not only I, but almost every other user of that lens gets very good results from it. The attached images are resized, but they were also sharp at full resolution (I don't have access to my main image library right now, otherwise I'd post crops...)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2013, 10:08:51 PM »

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2013, 10:15:06 PM »

And no, the existing lens isn't quite in the same league optically or even close in build to most L lenses, though it is optically among "the best of the rest". However, if the optics truly are improved (which was the point of my original post), it will make it hard for most casual or even fairly serious crop users to justify kicking up to the 70-300 L.

When I first got T2i kit with the 18-55, I also bought the 55-250mm 4-5.6 IS lens. It was my first dSLR. I found both lenses to be horrible. I was surprised that Canon would make such bad lenses. The 55-250 is really bad, even my son who is now using the T2i does not want to use it.

If this is really "the best of the rest", then what lenses are worst then the 55-250?

There must be something wrong with that particular 55-250, as not only I, but almost every other user of that lens gets very good results from it. The attached images are resized, but they were also sharp at full resolution (I don't have access to my main image library right now, otherwise I'd post crops...)

I agree.

I've owned or own the 70-300 L, the 100-400 L, the 55-250 and the Tamron 70-300. In terms of sharpness, the 100-400 L, the Tamron and 55-250 are all very close. The 70-300 L is better, but you pay a real premium for a marginal improvement.

I consider the 55-250 one of the most underrated and best value lenses in the Canon lineup. And, that comes from actual use of the lens. In the 55-250, Canon focused on optical quality and scrimped on build and, of course, no USM.

In a few hours we will know, but my guess is the sharpness won't change much (it really doesn't need to) but they may add STM, improve the coatings and possibly up the build quality a bit.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

kphoto99

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2013, 10:29:39 PM »

I agree.

I've owned or own the 70-300 L, the 100-400 L, the 55-250 and the Tamron 70-300. In terms of sharpness, the 100-400 L, the Tamron and 55-250 are all very close. The 70-300 L is better, but you pay a real premium for a marginal improvement.

I consider the 55-250 one of the most underrated and best value lenses in the Canon lineup. And, that comes from actual use of the lens. In the 55-250, Canon focused on optical quality and scrimped on build and, of course, no USM.

In a few hours we will know, but my guess is the sharpness won't change much (it really doesn't need to) but they may add STM, improve the coatings and possibly up the build quality a bit.

I wish I could say this about my copy, especially at the 250mm end.
The review on TDP at http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-S-55-250mm-f-4-5.6-IS-Lens-Review.aspx also indicates that it is not a very good lens.

LetTheRightLensIn

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2013, 11:23:56 PM »
That should become quite a fine lens, the new 55-250, wow!

But, but, but.... 16-50 f/4 IS with prime-like quality??? Where is mention! :(

LetTheRightLensIn

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2013, 11:26:17 PM »
Optical upgrades?!?! The old 55-250 is already a pretty solid piece of work optically. I can't wait to see how it could improve. I mean, if it gets much better, it would practically eliminate the need to go to an L in that range.

I wouldn't go quite that far:  http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=456&Camera=474&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=738&CameraComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

Yeah, the L lens is five times as much, but it is in a whole different league optically.

Not really, if you compare them both on an APS-C body then the L lens is just barely better than the 55-250.  On the other hand compare the 55-250 vs the 70-200 is ii at 200mm both on crop and you'll see a world of difference.

They have a really crappy 70-300L since it did worse than their 70-200 f/4 IS at 70mm f/4, 200mm f/5 and even 280/300mm! Sure doesn't match my results, nor those on most blogs I read, nor Photozone, nor Canon's own MTF charts.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 02:45:15 AM by LetTheRightLensIn »

adhocphotographer

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • An ad hoc photographer
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2013, 12:40:01 AM »
"Canon will announce an update to the EF-S 55-250 f/3.5-5.6 IS by adding STM and some optical upgrades"

:-\   :-[ :-[   :'( :'( :'(

MORE PANCAKES

Could not agree more! Come on EF(-S) 22mm!
5D MkIII + an every expanding array of lenses and accessories!
-------www.adhocphotographer.com--------

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2013, 12:53:25 AM »

I have one I picked up for my kids to use, and it's great for what it is, and for the cost; but in a direct comparison to any of the L lenses, it doesn't hold up.

I like the images you posted, but with the possible exception of the lizard one, they're not very sharp (that being said, they are small, and it's tough to judge).  Which is to be expected of that lens unless stopped down to f8-11 or so.  Bokeh is also really nervous, and AF is slow and tends to hunt.  None of these things make it a bad lens though.  I own one, and it was worth EVERY penny.  But to compare it to the 70-300L or any of the 70-200s and try and say it's a better lens, is just not true.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2013, 12:53:25 AM »

WoodyWindy

• Canon AE-1
  • On the road again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2013, 09:26:31 AM »
I have one I picked up for my kids to use, and it's great for what it is, and for the cost; but in a direct comparison to any of the L lenses, it doesn't hold up.

I like the images you posted, but with the possible exception of the lizard one, they're not very sharp (that being said, they are small, and it's tough to judge).  Which is to be expected of that lens unless stopped down to f8-11 or so.  Bokeh is also really nervous, and AF is slow and tends to hunt.  None of these things make it a bad lens though.  I own one, and it was worth EVERY penny.  But to compare it to the 70-300L or any of the 70-200s and try and say it's a better lens, is just not true.

I never, EVER said the existing lens was as good as the L's optically. Only that it was very good for what it was, and if they made any improvement to the optics it would be even harder to justify upgrading to an L for most buyers.

I'm glad you like the images. :) I know they aren't perfect, but they show off the lens very well.

The snake (which I admit exhibits a very small amount of camera shake) has VERY narrow DOF, centered on its eye, and there isn't a lot of detail there to resolve. (It was shot at 250mm, f/5.6, 1/10 sec exposure, handheld, through glass, at essentially minimum focal distance.)

The lizard and the baboon in full size both exhibit clear single-pixel level detail, though shadows on the baboon suffer because it was accidentally taken at ISO 1600 in relatively bright light. (all three were taken with 450D/XSi)

(See, I can pick my work apart as well as anybody...)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 09:37:53 AM by WoodyWindy »

Strobe the globe

• PowerShot G16
  • 60D | 10-22mm, 18-200mm, 50mm | Speedlite 600EX-RT
    • View Profile
    • Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2013, 09:53:20 AM »
Are Canon replacing the EF-S lenses with STM versions to accommodate videographers?

schill

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2013, 11:04:20 AM »
When people are talking about the image quality from their 55-250 lenses, are they actually comparing the same lens?  What's the difference between the original and the II version?

I've got a refurbed II that I purchased for about $200 from Canon.  I'm happy with it and it complements my EOS-M and SL1 nicely.  It's not quite the same as my 700-200/2.8 on my 7D, but it's a nice lens and much more compact.  I think the image quality is very good for the price.

Does anyone make a comparable, but better image quality, EOS-compatible lens in this price range?

WoodyWindy

• Canon AE-1
  • On the road again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2013, 11:19:06 AM »
When people are talking about the image quality from their 55-250 lenses, are they actually comparing the same lens?  What's the difference between the original and the II version?

I've got a refurbed II that I purchased for about $200 from Canon.  I'm happy with it and it complements my EOS-M and SL1 nicely.  It's not quite the same as my 700-200/2.8 on my 7D, but it's a nice lens and much more compact.  I think the image quality is very good for the price.

Does anyone make a comparable, but better image quality, EOS-compatible lens in this price range?

No, and that is the real point. :) To get significantly better on a crop body, you MUST go to an L "class" lens, and for many folks, it isn't worth the trip.

P.S. My understanding is there is no optical difference between the original and the II, just cosmetics.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 11:22:09 AM by WoodyWindy »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2013, 11:49:24 AM »

None - they are optically the same.  Canon changed the AF algorightms in the MkII version of the non-STM lens, but the main 'updates' were cosmetic only, changes that made the production costs for the lens slightly lower (I suppose with the number of units sold, even a slight reduction in unit production cost meant major profit).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Ruined

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2013, 12:56:34 PM »
I am, too, disappointed with the plastic mount.  While I know its probably good enough, given the metal mount on the actual body I don't see how it would hold up over time if you change lenses frequently.

In terms of optical performance I am wondering if this might exceed the non-L 70-300mm IS USM.  The 70-300mm was a better performer optically than the 50-250mm but not by a landslide.  So if this lens makes large optical strides over the original 50-250mm I could see it outdoing the 70-300mm even.  But that plastic mount, ugh.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2013, 12:56:34 PM »

kphoto99

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2013, 03:18:46 PM »

Just wanted to check, are you referring to the II or the original 55-250 when you say it is a good lens? Mine is the original (silver color zoom scale).

schill

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2013, 03:52:58 PM »
I am, too, disappointed with the plastic mount.  While I know its probably good enough, given the metal mount on the actual body I don't see how it would hold up over time if you change lenses frequently.

I'm not troubled by plastic mounts for the smaller, lighter lenses.  While I don't use them as often as lenses with metal mounts these days I've never had any problems.

If nothing else, they reduce the wear and tear on your camera body.  :)  You are unlikely to damage the metal mount on the camera with a plastic mount on the lens.  I'd rather need to repair/replace my 55-250 than my 7D (although I don't think I've ever used it on that body).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2013, 03:52:58 PM »