The Canon Power Shot SX510 HS Point-and-Shoot Camera is a compact point-and-shoot camera featuring a 12.1 megapixel 1/2.3″ high-sensitivity CMOS sensor and DIGIC 4 image processor to produce high resolution still imagery and full HD 1080p video with notable low-light sensitivity and quality. The sensor and processor work together to enable the Canon HS SYSTEM, which helps to reduce noise levels and gain greater clarity for enhanced low-light imagery. The processor also affords speed throughout the entire camera system, including High Speed AF and Zoom Framing Assist, which help to assure sharp and maintained focus on fast-moving subjects.
The built-in Canon 30x optical zoom lens provides a 35mm-equivalent focal length range of 24-720mm, covering wide-angle to super telephoto lengths for working in nearly any situation. The reach of this lens is enhanced by the optical image stabilization system that works to reduce the appearance of camera shake. Six distinct settings of Intelligent IS image stabilization are also available, and can be automatically applied to suit the type of shooting and subject matter.
For image composition, playback, and menu navigation, a large, bright 3.0″ 461k-dot LCD monitor is available and facilitates access for utilizing the SX510 HS’ built-in wireless capabilities. The Wi-Fi connectivity helps to expedite sending imagery from the camera directly to an Android or iOS mobile device through the use of the free Canon CameraWindow app. Also helpful is the CANON iMAGE GATEWAY, which serves as an intuitive interface for uploading images directly to social networking and cloud sites.
For refining the look of imagery and helping to ensure precise exposure settings, Smart AUTO modes can be utilized to allow the camera to select all camera settings based on the interpreted scene at hand. Thirty-two different pre-defined shooting situations are available to cover working in a wide variety of conditions.
- 12.1MP High-Sensitivity CMOS Sensor and DIGIC 4 Image Processor
- The 12.1 megapixel 1/2.3″ CMOS sensor and DIGIC 4 image processor work in concert to produce high resolution still imagery and full HD 1080p video recording with notable low-light sensitivity and quality. The combination of these two technologies creates the Canon HS SYSTEM, which provides a maximum sensitivity of ISO 12800 with minimal noise and enhanced clarity to truly benefit impressive image making in dimly-lit situations. The processor also contributes to overall speed throughout the camera, including High Speed AF and Zoom Framing Assist for accurately following subjects and ensuring sharpness.
- Canon 30x Optical Zoom Lens
- The built-in Canon 30x optical zoom lens provides a 35mm-equivalent focal length range of 24-720mm, covering wide-angle to super telephoto perspectives to suit working in nearly any situation. Benefitting this extensive zoom range is the integration of optical image stabilization, which helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake. Furthermore, Intelligent IS image stabilization is also available and works to counter the effects of camera shake by automatically choosing from one of six different modes to optimize settings based on the type of shooting conditions. The Normal setting corrects for a wide range of movements and is ideal for still photography; the Panning setting detects when panning shots are being made and does not compensate for lateral shake; the Macro (Hybrid) setting specifically corrects for shift-type shake that is common when working with close-up subject matter; the Dynamic mode is highly effective for video work and wide-angle settings and helps to minimize common shake that occurs while walking or moving with the camera; the Powered setting is suited for shooting at the telephoto end of the zoom range when hand shake is most prevalent; and Tripod mode simply turns off the IS since it is no longer needed.
- Built-In Wireless Connectivity
- Built-in Wi-Fi allows direct, wireless transferring of photos and videos to mobile devices and PCs for instant online sharing to social networking sites and cloud-based storage sites. The CANON iMAGE GATEWAY helps to expedite this process through an intuitive workflow and the free Canon CameraWindow app, available for iOS and Android devices, enables efficient transferring control and also permits GPS tagging to images. An enhanced Wi-Fi set-up also works to streamline connecting to wireless hot spots, too, as WEP Key input is no longer needed and wireless preferences can easily be modified through a web browser. Additionally, Automatic Switching via the Image Sync function works to automatically sync images with any discovered and linked PC within a designated network or, alternatively, images are temporarily sent to the CANON iMAGE GATEWAY for later transferring.
- Other Camera Features
- Full HD 1080p video recording at 24 fps is supported and an HDMI port, HDMI-CEC support, is integrated into the camera’s design to enable direct playback to an HDTV.
- A dedicated movie button and electronic wind filter help to enhance video recording by making it more accessible and improving the overall quality of recordings.
- A bright, clear 3.0″ 461k-dot LCD monitor is available for live view monitoring, image playback, and menu navigation.
- Smart AUTO is an intelligent auto mode that selects from 32 pre-defined shooting situations and applies the proper camera settings to ensure accurately detailed and exposed imagery.
- Zoom Framing Assist automatically zooms in and out while tracking a subject to maintain sharp focus while the subject is moving.
- Shooting modes: Manual, Aperture-Priority, Shutter-Priority, Program, Live View Control, Smart AUTO, Movie Digest, Portrait, Face Self-Timer, High-Speed Burst, Low Light, Snow, Fireworks, Creative Filters, Discreet Mode, Movie, and Super Slow Motion Movie.
- Special Scene Modes and Creative Filters are available to creatively and aesthetically enhance your imagery in-camera.
- ECO Mode works to enables more shooting time per battery charge by limiting the amount of time the camera is awake during inactive periods.
- English, German, French, Dutch, Danish, Finnish, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Spanish, Simplified/Traditional Chinese, Japanese, Russian, Portuguese, Korean, Greek, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Turkish, Thai, Arabic, Romanian, Ukrainian, Farsi, Hindi, Malay, Indonesian, and Vietnamese.