October 25, 2014, 04:13:14 AM

Author Topic: How to clean lenses ?  (Read 10520 times)

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: How to clean lenses ?
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2013, 04:53:43 AM »
Pop it in the dishwasher.

Not too much soap powder.

Does that only work with weather sealed lenses? ;D

Not at all, it actually works better for non-sealed lenses since the water and shape cleans all of the internal elements too of those ones.  ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2013, 04:53:43 AM »

dgatwood

• 1D Mark IV
  • 300D, 400D, 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2013, 02:06:31 PM »

Not at all, it actually works better for non-sealed lenses since the water and shape cleans all of the internal elements too of those ones.  ;D

Be careful about joking like that.  Some folks have actually cleaned computer keyboards in the dishwasher.  You can't really do that with lenses because you'd end up with water spots on the internal elements, but somebody might not realize you're kidding and might actually try it.  That would translate to one really expensive cleaning, particularly given that Canon would no doubt disclaim any warranty coverage because of "water damage".  :)

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2013, 03:32:09 PM »

Be careful about joking like that.  Some folks have actually cleaned computer keyboards in the dishwasher.  You can't really do that with lenses because you'd end up with water spots on the internal elements, but somebody might not realize you're kidding and might actually try it.  That would translate to one really expensive cleaning, particularly given that Canon would no doubt disclaim any warranty coverage because of "water damage".  :)

I don't think we should ever sensor ourselves in consideration of the  incredibly stupid. 

Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L->85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm ->100L & 85L

7enderbender

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2013, 10:28:15 AM »
Still no one answered my question lol. Is it safe to clean the lens and LCD screen with alcohol wipe ?

Well, here's the thing. I'm am completely neurotic with my gear and baby everything. Even my lenses from the 80s that I bought new look like new. Same with my music gear. My guitars look pretty much like they just came from the store even though they've been around the world and used quite a bit. I don't get how some people end up with dinged up stuff and others think that makes them more "professional" looking.

Anyway. Some of these precautions are probably unnecessary. The glass and the coatings are very sturdy. I compare it to my eyeglasses that I need to wear every day. Those are high quality (real) glass with coatings similar to what's on our lenses. I wash them under water with dish washing soap. They last for years.

Now, alcohol is a different issue. It's probably safe for the glass but I'd be worried about some of the plastics and rubber materials. They may dry out or react with alcohol. So I'd stay away from that.
5DII - 50L - 135L - 200 2.8L - 24-105 - 580EXII - 430EXII - FD 500/8 - AE1-p - bag full of FD lenses

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2013, 01:49:21 PM »
I have a rather large box of Zeiss wipes, a bottle of Eclipse w/Pec Pads and a spray bottle of Purosol, but 98% of the time a lenspen is sufficient. As for the LCD, I have a glass protector on all of mine, so that job usually goes to my shirt :P

Grumbaki

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2013, 05:54:51 AM »
96% alcohol and  5 % Ether

Now that sounds like a party.

Seriously, I drying clean. Blower and lens pen.

sandymandy

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2013, 09:20:19 AM »

good that i dont live in the USA :P heard microwaves there even say to not dry ur pets inside?! lold

Im using my t-shirt to clean the lenses :D srsly its the most less sensitive part of ur camera system :P sensor...totally different story.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2013, 09:20:19 AM »

bycostello

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • London Weddings
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2013, 04:27:10 AM »
i use corner of my t shirt... they are tougher than u think....

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2013, 01:14:40 AM »
I use Zeiss disposable wipes. It's packaged like alcohol pads. With each wipe I'd wipe the lens and my glasses while I'm at it. Each wipe probably costs around 10 cents. Worth it or not is your personal decision.  It makes things easier for me.

Thanks.   I'll try them.   Nice to individual packages when traveling

The Mad Kiwi

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2013, 11:35:07 PM »

Commonly referred to as the profession photographer cleaning method.

wayno

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2013, 12:14:44 AM »

I found my old 85 1.8 in my bag once, cap off, front element covered in all sorts of crap. After the initial freak out, I gave it a clean only to find it came up pristine. I would endorse the fact that front elements are tough. Or maybe I was lucky...

serendipidy

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2013, 01:40:09 AM »

The shirt or the lens? ;D
EOS 5D miii, EOS 7D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 100-400mmL IS

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2013, 01:40:09 AM »