July 31, 2014, 01:03:17 AM

Author Topic: Returned my D600. Thinking of a 6D. How do they compare? IQ? DR?  (Read 9111 times)

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
Re: Returned my D600. Thinking of a 6D. How do they compare? IQ? DR?
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2013, 01:50:49 PM »
The DR of the D600 was amazing... but I figure the successor to the 6D will surpass it and I will get that.

Don't hold your breath because Canon haven't demonstrated any significant gain in DR since the 5D Mark II was delivered.

I'm surprised at this comment. Do you actually use the successors to the 5D mkII ? If you're making that statement based on DxO ratings you'll find in practice there is considerably more latitude between the 5D mkI, II, III / 6D than those DxO scores would have you believe.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2013, 01:50:49 PM »

duydaniel

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2013, 01:52:02 PM »

Oh, really?  Does Nikon offer free sensor cleanings for their other cameras?  No, just the D600.  Why?  Because apparently it's not really a 'dust' issue, but an oil splatter issue. 

Maybe you should switch to Nikon so you could send your lenses to them for free sensor cleanings, too.  ::)

Yes they do to my D5100.
Just complain there is spot in the pictures, they clean sensor for free under warranty.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2013, 01:55:42 PM »

Oh, really?  Does Nikon offer free sensor cleanings for their other cameras?  No, just the D600.  Why?  Because apparently it's not really a 'dust' issue, but an oil splatter issue. 

Maybe you should switch to Nikon so you could send your lenses to them for free sensor cleanings, too.  ::)

Yes they do to my D5100.
Just complain there is spot in the pictures, they clean sensor for free under warranty.

Service Advisories apply after the warranty period is up.  Not the same thing.  A service advisory represents a formal acknowledgement that there's a known problem with a model.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2013, 03:09:07 PM »
The dust problems with the 6D will be the same as the D600.

Really?  So, Canon issued a service advisory for dust issues on the 6D just like Nikon's service advisory for the D600 dust issue?  That's news to me...

I have to follow the same service advisory with Canon equipment to keep it dust free. So based on my experience, I would say that Nikon is being more customer friendly than Canon.

Anyone that thinks a DSLR's sensor is going to remain "dust free" when they're swapping lenses (without any cleaning) is in for a shock.

Nikon denied any dust and dirt issues until some of the major online bloggers showed it happening.  Then they offered the cleaning, but still denied the issue.

For those who do not remember, the 1D MK III has a issue with incorrect lubrication, and Canon gave free cleanings and admitted that there was too much lube applied to some bodies.  They will still clean them and fix a issue like that under the warranty.

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2013, 04:04:58 PM »
The 6D won the EISA best advanced DSLR of the year..... A category that the D600 would have been considered in... i imagine it was selected by people who know what they are talking about!!

Sarcasm?
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100 macro | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

Janbo Makimbo

• EOS M2
  • 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2013, 05:04:01 PM »
The 6D won the EISA best advanced DSLR of the year..... A category that the D600 would have been considered in... i imagine it was selected by people who know what they are talking about!!

Sarcasm?

Fact ;)

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2013, 05:40:23 PM »
The DR of the D600 was amazing... but I figure the successor to the 6D will surpass it and I will get that.

Don't hold your breath because Canon haven't demonstrated any significant gain in DR since the 5D Mark II was delivered.

Not since the 1Ds3 actually. The 50D and 5D2 were worse than the 40D/1Ds3 generation.
With the 6D they are finally back to where they had gotten to with the 1Ds3.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2013, 05:40:23 PM »

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2013, 12:36:18 AM »

Really?  So, Canon issued a service advisory for dust issues on the 6D just like Nikon's service advisory for the D600 dust issue?  That's news to me...

I have to follow the same service advisory with Canon equipment to keep it dust free. So based on my experience, I would say that Nikon is being more customer friendly than Canon.

So is it a dust issue or an oil issue? The post is about dust and the link to Nikon provides advice for dealing with dust (which is a problem for all interchangeable lens cameras.) It may be that people who are having problems with oil don't recognise it for being such but it is wrong to think that Canon DSLRs do not have dust problems or to say that they do not.

Aglet

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2013, 02:19:55 AM »
12 There are almost no zooms that can resolve the 24.3 mp FX sensor well in current Nikon zoom line (maybe the 70-200VR2 and  200-400f4VR2 are fine), so if you are zoom shooter , you are wasting much potential resolving power of the high resolution sensor of the Nikon. I , in fact , recommend Zeiss  primes and 70-200mmf2.8VR2 for the Nikon , nothing less than that is really good enough for that sensor. the Nikon 24-70mmf2.8G ED , 16-35mmf4VR , 24-120mmf4VR, the 70-200f4GEDVR are all useless , they were great on 12mp generation bodies but not on the D800E or D600.

I can pretty much agree with your whole post but have to say the Nikon 70-200/4 VR that I have on my 800e delivers excellent sharpness in a much smaller lighter package than the new 2.8 and will much less focus breathing as well.
OTOH, the Nikon rep did have to remind me that, "it's a consumer-grade lens, not a pro lens," so basically stop complaining that VR doesn't work for long at -20C.   :-X
I still have a quibble with it on image quality but knarly bokeh in transition zones is not uncommon on some lenses in this range.

nda

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2013, 03:16:52 AM »
my fav day/night street photog kit ;)
canon stuff...

Janbo Makimbo

• EOS M2
  • 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2013, 03:46:09 AM »

So is it a dust issue or an oil issue? The post is about dust and the link to Nikon provides advice for dealing with dust (which is a problem for all interchangeable lens cameras.) It may be that people who are having problems with oil don't recognise it for being such but it is wrong to think that Canon DSLRs do not have dust problems or to say that they do not.

My understanding is that the the oil problem on D600 was more like the Deepwater Horizon spill.....one more 'feature' it has over the 6 D!!

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2013, 10:04:24 AM »

When did I state Canon sensors don't get dust on them?  The link is talking about a known issue of the D600, not a 'problem for all interchangeable lens cameras' (having your car run out of gas is a problem for all cars, did your car maker issue a service advisory for your specific model telling you to put gas in the tank?  ::) ).

The 'customer friendly' Nikon folks of whom you're so fond may be slow (they take weeks to service a lens), but they aren't stupid enough to call it oil.  So, they state, "Some D600 users have reported the appearance of random spots on their images which is generally attributed to the natural accumulation of dust...It has come to our attention that, in some rare cases, they may be reflected noticeably in images and removal may be difficult using normal measures."  Since 'normal measures' are usually sufficient for removing dust, they're clearly not talking about dust alone.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2013, 10:04:24 AM »