April 20, 2014, 11:06:22 AM

Author Topic: Mount EF, EF-S or L lens on EOS-M --- Your thought???  (Read 16059 times)

Dylan777

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dylanphotography.phanfare.com/
Mount EF, EF-S or L lens on EOS-M --- Your thought???
« on: August 24, 2013, 10:37:53 PM »
Most of us, including myself, got great deal on EOS-M + 22mm for $299 through BH.

I bought it for one reason - $299 deal. I simply used the M as P&S camera. EOS-M is an average compact camera that we can carry around.

Recently, I start seeing many posts showing M mounted with EF, EF-S and even L. It’s nice that Canon came up with adapters for those lenses. 

Here is my 2cents: I think Canon should make more pancakes or something smaller for current M & M2. I just don’t see myself buying an adapter for EF, EF-S or even L lens so that I can mount it on tiny body.

Your thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 10:40:38 PM by Dylan777 »
Body: 5D III(x2) -- A7r
Zoom: 16-35L II -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 50L -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II -- Zeiss FE 55mm f1.8

canon rumors FORUM

Mount EF, EF-S or L lens on EOS-M --- Your thought???
« on: August 24, 2013, 10:37:53 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Mount EF, EF-S or L lens on EOS-M --- Your thought???
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 11:04:11 PM »
I bought the $299 EOS M, and the adapter.  I normally use the M with the 22/2 pancake, occasionally with the adapter and the 40/2.8 pancake. 

But the main reason I got the M in the first place was as the smallest possible travel backup body to use with my lenses, and the adapter is needed for that application.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

JohnDizzo15

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 01:20:36 AM »
"Would you hire a photographer shooting with M + adapter + EF/S lens for your wedding?

Failing to see the fundamental of M could end up in a long discussion ;)"

The answer to your question is yes assuming he/she was able to accomplish the level of work I wanted. This same answer applies to any photographer for any situation as I have seen photographic geniuses make great work with disposable film cameras (gear is not of significance to me). However, this is neither here nor there and a complete leap from what we were previously discussing.

I personally have used the M as a second cam alongside the 5D3 to provide me with a varying FL. However, I have a career and do not rely on photography for any income. It is purely a hobby so I cannot vouch for whether the M would be practical in for a wedding shoot (or any other type of shoot for that matter). Nor was I stating/claiming that it would be good for any type of professional use as I have no experience in this arena. I was merely making the point that there there are an infinite number of photogs out there with an infinitely differing number of needs which cannot all be accounted for. Knowing this, I myself have found a great niche for the M for what I do. This would also then lead me to find it feasible that there are other people that feel the same way. I have diagrammed a multitude of ways in the previous thread in which the M can be perfectly sufficient for many situations and how it provides another tool that has features my other body doesn't.

AudioGlenn

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 02:54:09 AM »
I bought the EF adapter (for $85 off of eBay) so I could use the M as a 2nd camera angle for video with my other lenses.  Would I use it at a wedding?  ...SURE!  for video.  for Photography, probably not. for casual photography, I'm fine with just the 22mm f2 on it.  I too like it for its compact size.
5D mkIII  |  40 f/2.8 | 8-15 f/4L | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 1.4x III TC | 600ex-rt | 430 ex ii | EOS M+22mm f/2 | EF to EF-M adapter

JPAZ

• 6D
  • If only I knew what I was doing.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 03:18:14 PM »
I got the M and later the adapter.  But, using many of my lenses on the M sort of defeats the purpose.  The 40mm f/2.8 on the adapter is a nice combination.  Most of my other stuff is just too big a big lens on a small camera.  It is harder to hold and use (touchscreen) handheld than the DSLR.  And to mount it on a tripod also defeats my propose.  I use my M as a "small" kit (22 and 40+ adapter and 18-55).
5d Mkiii; Eos-M (with M-22mm, M-18-55, and EF adapter); 50 f1.4; 40 f2.8; 24-105 f4; 70-200 f4 IS, 70-200 f/2.8 IS  ii; 100L f/2.8 Macro; 1.4x iii; 2.0x iii; 28-105ii; 17-40; Pro-Optic 14mm f2.8; 100-400L; 300mm f/2.8 ii; 430 EXii and a whole lot of stuff

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 05:14:40 PM »
The Adapter was introduced because at first, there were going to be few native "M" lenses.

Now that Canon is dumping the "M" for a low price, I'd buy EF lenses over M lenses until I'm sure that the camera has a future. 

Nikon seems to also be seeing poor sales of their mirrorless models.  Mirrorless cameras were popular at first, but sales have been dropping sharply and there may be some makers who will be forced to drop them.  Its ok to be stuck with a M body that can use EF lenses, but I'd not want a bunch of "M" lenses quite yet.

Micro 4/3 seems to me to be the best bet for a mirrorless body, multiple body and lens makers means you won't get stuck with a discontinued system.

cellomaster27

• Rebel T5i
  • Capture the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 05:35:36 PM »
The eos-m seems like a waste of money. It's not practical if you're a professional on location. Now if you're traveling, I guess it could work somewhat. But I think if you're a photographer with income based on your photos, the eos m is just gonna take up space. Having EF lenses on it.. Haha! Ridiculous.  Correct me if I'm wrong but would you trust it to take images that you would sell to your clients? I hope not. I'd rather have a 50D or even a t2i as a backup.  Having something reliable and good is better than smaller/cheaper.
Canon stuff

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 05:35:36 PM »

pedroxha1

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 06:57:41 PM »
I'm actually really tempted about doing a setup similar to one mentioned on another post: the sigma 18-35 on the EOS M. Currently I have a G1 X and an 1100d and primarily use the G1 X due to its size. I have a few lenses for the 1100d, 60mm macro, 70-300 tamron non-vc, 50 1.8, which I could use on the EOS M. However, I'm more looking at keeping the 22mm prime on it if I decide to go that route, but still having the ability to use my other lenses if I wish.
Canon Powershot G1 X, EOS 1100d, XH-A1 camcorder. EF-S 60mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 non-vc, EF-S 18-55mm, tamron 10-24

cellomaster27

• Rebel T5i
  • Capture the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 06:58:13 PM »
 in an overall encompassing overview, the eos m isn't meant for the professional shooter. It's functions is annoying and especially with larger lenses than... Even the 22mm.  You don't find it cumbersome/awkward? One of the reasons why people like FF is the size and grip feel in the hands etc. You put a nice tele lens or even a 24-70mm on a FF and it feels right. Aps-c, kinda awkward.  Now on a eos m? Of course you could just use smaller lenses for it.. I don't know, just because its cheap and delivers IQ enough to match other cameras doesn't support the general usage for the serious shooter. At least for me.

Better sensor than the 7D, okay. Still that doesn't mean much of anything. How many cameras have a better sensor than the 7D?  It's the capabilities of the 7D and versatility that make it so good. Ill stop as really, you can't compare these two cameras in anyway.

MAYBE in the future, ill buy a 4th gen eos m. They seem to offer quite a bit for the price but there too many reasons why it seems like a waste of money. The fact that you can buy an adapter and use your other canon and canon mount lenses is cool... But why is my question.  If they could make a 24-70mm or even an 18-55mm pancake, then ill sell all my gear and jump for it. :D
Canon stuff

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 07:57:22 PM »
One of the reasons why people like FF is the size and grip feel in the hands etc. You put a nice tele lens or even a 24-70mm on a FF and it feels right. Aps-c, kinda awkward.

Don't confuse sensor size with ergonomics.  A 70-200/2.8 on the FF 6D would feel awkward to me, but on the APS-H 1DIV it's perfect, as it is on a gripped APS-C 7D. Heck, even a non-gripped 7D would provide better balance than a 6D.

I don't know, just because its cheap and delivers IQ enough to match other cameras doesn't support the general usage for the serious shooter. At least for me.

Perhaps not.  But for specific usage for the 'serious shooter' it can make a lot of sense, at least to me.  The EOS M gives me a pretty big sensor for a camera that fits in a small pouch on my belt, and there are times when I simply cannot take my 1D X and a few of my 14 lenses with me.  But maybe I'm not a 'serious shooter'?  ::) 

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 08:08:45 PM »
This guy probably isn't a serious shooter, either.   ::) ::)

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=16180.0

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2013, 08:28:55 PM »
The EOS-M replaced the HS 230, which had a good zoom range, but IQ was was lacking especially ISO > 400. 

I like the M with the 22 f/2.  I don't care for the EF-M 18-55.  The IQ isn't as good.  However, my wife will opt for the 18-55 because it is a zoom.  Picked up the adapter for 85, and it serves as a backup to the dslr.  I tried the adaptor once to make sure it worked but haven't used it since, but 85 to extend a good walk around camera to use all my other EF lenses is a good deal.

cellomaster27

• Rebel T5i
  • Capture the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2013, 08:38:08 PM »
Okay, my bad.  What I should say when referring to 'serious photographer' is being on the job.  Yes, you can be a serious photographer at home taking pictures of family, pet, food...  XD 

For one, even the front cover photo of Time magazine used a photo taken with an iPhone.  understood.  It was a great photo.  It's just that if I was taking photos at a wedding, I would not be using the eos-m.  Or a model shoot. etc.. Being paid, that is.  It is not reliable like a dslr.  Sure it's compact and nifty especially for what it IS.  Again, until there are more improvements to a great start, I'll be putting my money towards FF bodies and EF lenses.

I appreciate your opinion neuro, especially since you have a 1Dx and a eos-m.  hats off.   ;D
Canon stuff

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2013, 08:38:08 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2013, 08:42:17 PM »
It's just that if I was taking photos at a wedding, I would not be using the eos-m.  Or a model shoot. etc.. Being paid, that is.

Did you click on the link I posted above?

Dylan777

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dylanphotography.phanfare.com/
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2013, 08:49:09 PM »
This guy probably isn't a serious shooter, either.   ::) ::)

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=16180.0

With all lighting and times setup for those shots, I just don't see any special
Body: 5D III(x2) -- A7r
Zoom: 16-35L II -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 50L -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II -- Zeiss FE 55mm f1.8

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2013, 08:49:09 PM »