August 23, 2014, 05:37:05 AM

Author Topic: Need help, Please " the Lens factor of EOS-M ?"  (Read 4520 times)

bainsybike

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Need help, Please " the Lens factor of EOS-M ?"
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 12:01:52 PM »
There's no 'M-factor'. Just multiply by 1.6x. The 22mm f/2 pancake gives the FoV of a 35mm lens on FF (35mm film), and the DoF of f/3.2 (if you frame the scene the same, and that's because you'd be further away with 22mm on the EOS M than 35mm on FF, and more distance means deeper DoF).

Is that correct, Neuro?  You'd be further away with the M if you were using the same lens on both cameras, but in the above scenario won't both cameras be at the same distance?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 12:09:35 PM by bainsybike »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2013, 12:09:32 PM »
There's no 'M-factor'. Just multiply by 1.6x. The 22mm f/2 pancake gives the FoV of a 35mm lens on FF (35mm film), and the DoF of f/3.2 (if you frame the scene the same, and that's because you'd be further away with 22mm on the EOS M than 35mm on FF, and more distance means deeper DoF).

Is that correct, Neuro?  You'd be further away with the M if you were using the same lens on both cameras, but in the above scenario won't both cameras be at the same distance?

True, I didn't phrase that very well…sorry.  22mm on FF vs APS-C, you're further away on APS-C so DoF is deeper.  22mm on APS-C vs. 35mm on FF, you're at the same distance, but the focal length is shorter on APS-C, so DoF is deeper.

Bottom line, the FF equivalent of the 22mm f/2 on APS-C (i.e. EOS M) is a hypothetical 35mm f/3.2 lens.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

bainsybike

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2013, 12:11:31 PM »
Thanks, Neuro!!

fsgray

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2013, 12:53:53 PM »
Bottom line, the FF equivalent of the 22mm f/2 on APS-C (i.e. EOS M) is a hypothetical 35mm f/3.2 lens.
Okay, thanks!  I've learned so much in the last few weeks, catching up with technology.  I'm really impressed with this kit, such quality in such a small package compared to the old days!

Funny that the only prime available for this camera is a wide angle.  I sure would like to see a telephoto prime.  Even the zoom only goes to 55mm.  I'm starting to look at 85mm lenses plus the adapter.  There don't seem to be any reliable rumors of anything EOS-M of interest.