July 28, 2014, 08:46:36 AM

Author Topic: Mount EF, EF-S or L lens on EOS-M --- Your thought???  (Read 20474 times)

josephandrews222

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Re: Mount EF, EF-S or L lens on EOS-M --- Your thought???
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2013, 01:47:02 PM »
I'm really happy with my M. 

Bodies:  6D, 7D, EOS-M, S100

I'm curious - since getting the EOS M, how much do you find yourself using your S100?

My S95 usage has decreased dramatically after acquiring an M.

(...just wish the M didn't require an external flash.)

Size matters. The M, with any of the M lenses, is remarkably tiny...and with the 22mm pancake...does work in my pocket for a couple of hours while touristing.

The S series, of course, is even more pocketable...and the ELPH 300 is even smaller than the S series.

I think carefully about kit size and weight while on vacation and out-and-about with family; the M fits VERY nicely in the mix.

When the sensor science enables DSLR-quality autofocus, mirrorless, I think, will replace APS-C. That's right. I said replace.

I am terribly impressed with the M because I still think about it like a large sensor point-and-shoot. If I thought about it as if it was a DSLR, I would be disappointed. When the sensor improves enabling better autofocus, etc, I really think the sky is the limit.

I still enjoy using DSLRs...but using the M (and, for that matter, the S95) is fun!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 01:49:02 PM by josephandrews222 »
5DMkIII; 40D; M; S95 + a dozen or so lenses & a half-dozen flashes

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2013, 01:47:02 PM »

Bruce Photography

• EOS M2
  • Landscapes, 5D/5D2/5D3,7D,60D,EOS-M,D800/E,D7100
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2013, 01:55:42 PM »

I'm curious - since getting the EOS M, how much do you find yourself using your S100?

I've been having my G10 riding under my seat for several years now as a camera that I  could always have with me.  I also usually carry a Nikon S800c for the combined camera, wi-fi, and internet.  However since getting my EOS-M(s), I don't really use either camera any more because the quality of the EOS-M makes it like I'm shooting with my 60D in live view but in an expendable package. 

The way I've come to hold the EOS-M is key for me.  Since I'm using it for candid shots at events, I don't hold it up but rather put the camera in the palm of my left hand with the 18-55 zoom ring where I can reach it with my thumb.  That leaves my right hand for touching the focus spot and using the menu system.  In a tight crowd I use the touch shutter so I simply touch the back of the camera while the camera is somewhat close to my stomach.  I never hold it out in front of me like you see phone cameras being used (my open palm position close to my stomach is much more stable - sometimes as low as 1/15 is pretty good for stationery subjects).  In this way I'm not being "viewed" as a photographer or even as someone taking a picture.  Most of the time, I think people pass me off as "just someone looking at their pictures on their camera" opposed to someone actually taking pictures.  I also use the multiple shot function to get the most stable shot.

I've enjoyed this camera and technique so much for candid's that I've purchased the 50mm 1.8 and the 40mm 2.8 pancake (I lost my 40mm some time ago - too small).  My favorite lens for getting close in a crowd is the 80mm 1.8 and the EOS-M using my open left palm approach using the other left hand fingers to support longer lenses.  Since it is a prime you dont' need the dexterity to move the zoom (there is none) so the fingers are used to support the adapter and longer lens.

In any case I feel much more comfortable in taking candids at outdoor events than with any other of my vertical grip monsters that I really do love but don't fit the "candid" description very well.

dtaylor

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2013, 02:38:30 PM »
For example it takes about 3 seconds before you can shoot again even when you change from AE to M mode. Getting out of menu to shoot again is also slow.

Can you elaborate? I have experienced no delays after changing exposure mode or leaving a menu.

dtaylor

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2013, 02:41:01 PM »
What I find amazing now is that the M has many more people defending it now.
I am not sure if it is pride of ownership, or ego's defending a purchase they once said they would never make.

It's simply that the M works pretty darn well.

It works the same now as when it was released ( except for any firmware upgrades of course)

Which is an important point, since the big sale occurred very soon after the firmware update which dramatically sped up AF (one of the biggest complaints about the camera from reviewers/users).  Cameras sold at sale prices seemed to mostly come with the new firmware, too.

$299 seems to be a bigger reason for buying from the people I know who have bought it than a faster AF system.

I specifically checked the AF videos here before buying even at the $299 price.

Aside from AF, I was pleasantly surprised by the touch screen UI and do not miss a VF, two things I thought I would hate before actually using one.

Smurf1811

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2013, 02:43:41 PM »
I love it   ;)
Before: Canon-Fanboy with 16 Lenses
After: Nikon D4, Nikon D800, Nikon D610, 10,5mm f 2.8 DX, 14-24mm f 2.8, 16mm f 2.8, PC-E 24mm f 3.5, 24mm 1.4, 24-70mm f 2.8, 28-300mm f 3.5-5.6, 35mm f 1.4, PC-E 45mm f 2.8, 50mm f 1.4, 58mm f 1.4, 70-200mm f 2.8 VR II, 85mm f 1.4, 105mm f 2.8 VR, 2 x SB-910

dcm

• EOS M2
  • 6D, M
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2013, 03:38:05 PM »
In the past, I used an S100 / T2i combo.  I've upgraded both to an M / 6D combo.   I wanted a great quality P&S that could double as a small second body.  I had a few reservations when I purchased  based on the reviews but figured it would be better than the S100 at a minimum and anything more was a bonus.  I've been pleasantly surprised.

As a semi-serious amateur I only purchased L glass, even with the T2i, since I knew I would make the FF transition someday.   I opted for the M over the SL1 since the minimum package is smaller and less conspicuous.  My wife will use a P&S but won't touch a DSLR (including SL1).  The S100 replaced her previous P&S. 

While I'm still learning about the M, it gives me better quality and more flexibility to mount any L lens in the arsenal.   At a recent church event I carried the M/22 and 6D/70-200f4LIS to optimize the quality of the people shots with the 6D while still being able to shoot wide with the M.   While hiking I carried the M/adapter/1.4xTC/70-200 and 6D/17-40 to maximize the scenery shots with the 6D while still being able to reach a bit farther with the extra 1.6x on the M.  Between the neck strap on the M and IS on the lens I found I can easily handhold the combination with my left hand while operating the controls with my right.  It gives me a nice, small package that isn't much larger than the lens/TC combo by itself - and I don't have to swap lenses on the 6D while on the trail. 

While shooting the moon (literally) on a tripod, I found the M touchsreen a joy to use and it will even autofocus at f8 on the 2xTC/70-200 combo which the 6D does not (yet - still waiting for the rumored firmware upgrade).   The M/22 did as well focusing in low light as my 6D/35L on a twilight/moonlight hike in a national park.  I'm still experimenting with other L glass on the M, but the results with the 8-15L, 35L, and 100L are better than the T2i.  I don't think I'll be mounting the 17-40L since its covered by the EF-M 18-55 and I haven't found a situation that called for the 24-105L yet.   I just wish it supported WiFi and the Camera Remote app like the 6D, but I can live without it for the price I paid.
6Ds, M, zooms and primes

bholliman

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2013, 03:39:49 PM »

Almost never!  I plan to give it to my 14-year-old son.
Bodies:  6D, EOS-M (22/2 and 18-55)
Lenses: Rokinon 14mm 2.8, 35mm 2.0 IS, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8L IS Macro, 135mm 2.0L, 24-70mm 2.8L II, 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, Extenders: EF 1.4xIII, EF 2xIII ; Flash: ST-E3-RT, 600EX-RT (x3)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2013, 03:39:49 PM »

JohnDizzo15

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2013, 05:15:32 PM »
@Smurf1811 - I have been loving using all my TSEs on the M also. Went out the other day with my son on a mini expedition and had the 45 on a 5d3 and the 90 with 2x tc on the M (288mm tse for all intents and purposes). Loved that I was able make that abomination of a combo possible by only having to spend 400 bucks for a very capable, feature-rich APS-C body.

To rebut to a few other comments on people defending the M now. As others have mentioned, most of us either read a lot of bad things about it when it was first released and/or the price was way too high for what it is. At 299 + new firmware (+magic lantern for those that have done it), it puts the M in a completely different class and a completely different light. Even after initially clicking submit on my order through BH, I had plenty of reservations and doubts. But once I got my hands on it and used it for a week, I was sold. I was pleasantly surprised on multiple levels at its performance and truly believe now that it is the most bang for my buck since I started this hobby.

Below is the first thing I did when the M arrived a few weeks ago. Why? Because it cost me less than my TC alone (and simply because I can). :)

Dylan777

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.500px.com/home
« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2013, 07:42:49 PM »
This will look great on M - because I can ::)

I'll have the lens stored in backpack and M in my jean pocket ::) ::) ::)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 07:46:32 PM by Dylan777 »
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

Click

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2013, 07:47:37 PM »
^^^ Ha Ha Ha  ;D

DRR

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2013, 12:04:12 AM »

+1. With regard to mounting non native M glass on the M. Aside from all the other previously mentioned scenarios or uses users have mentioned, the question is, why would anyone not opt to pay an extra hundred bucks to mount any EF/S lens they wanted to on a kicka$$ $300 camera system they just bought into? It's a no-brainer. I'd go as far as to say even without the practical/sensible uses we have all mentioned, I would do it just for grins. If I had any mirrorless compact body where the company came along and said "hey, for a $100, you can mount any of the more than 100 lenses you want onto your $300 camera system," I would have to do it. Considering how much money I have in EF glass at this point, it would be dumb not to have the option at this price point regardless of ergonomics or how good/bad you think the M is.

Assuming that's not a rhetorical question, here's why - just speaking for myself - I would rather spend $100 on something else: in addition to an M I have a 5DIII and a 6D (and an Olympus OM-D), and if I'm taking photos at home, the M has no advantages over those two FF bodies and plenty of disadvantages.  Once I leave home, if I put any lens bigger than a pancake on my M it loses its sole advantage because it's now too big to put in a pocket or small/slim bag, still has all the same disadvantages vis a vis a dslr, and still doesn't have image quality as good as the 5DIII or 6D, impressive though it is for a Canon APS-C.  If I needed a very small back-up body, sure, it would be worth it; but I don't.  Maybe I'm alone in thinking like this.

Then I must ask - why did you buy an M in the first place? Another shiny toy?

The EOS M plus pancake is not really much smaller than your OM-D with a pancake:

http://camerasize.com/compact/#351.349,289.94,ha,t

If you're at home and have choice of any lens and body, you'd pick a FF.

If you wanted a pocketable camera, why not buy a S110 for smallest size, a G15 for versatility/manual controls, or a Sony RX1 if you want small full frame.

Why buy an EOS M in the first place? Why did you buy a mirrorless camera that's no smaller than your current mirrorless camera, no better quality than your FF bodies.

I welcome your difference in opinion, I just fail to see why the M was a better choice to you than the alternatives, if in fact you have no use for the adapter and the ability to mount all your existing glass to it.

bholliman

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2013, 12:18:07 AM »
If you wanted a pocketable camera, why not buy a S110 for smallest size, a G15 for versatility/manual controls, or a Sony RX1 if you want small full frame.

I own a S100 and no longer use it because the IQ of the EOS-M is much better and its nearly as small and portable.  I can live with the M's slightly larger size to gain the advantage of image quality.  Even though the G-series have more manual controls, I have come to really like the M's touchscreen interface and prefer it to the G's.  The RX1 and RX100's are great camera's from what I've read, but personally I really don't see a need for one.  I'm happy with my current options of my 6D, 7D and EOS-M.

The EOS-M can also backup my DSLR's by accepting my EF lenses with the adapter, something the G15 and RX1 cannot do. 
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 12:21:23 AM by bholliman »
Bodies:  6D, EOS-M (22/2 and 18-55)
Lenses: Rokinon 14mm 2.8, 35mm 2.0 IS, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8L IS Macro, 135mm 2.0L, 24-70mm 2.8L II, 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, Extenders: EF 1.4xIII, EF 2xIII ; Flash: ST-E3-RT, 600EX-RT (x3)

JohnDizzo15

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2013, 01:30:53 AM »
@dylan - I already stated all the main reasons why it made sense for me in the other thread in detail. If for nothing else, it is as good iq wise as any canon crop body currently and was the cheapest way to buy back into a 1.6x. This gave me a dirt cheap way to access a completely different dimension with all my glass. For instance, I just picked up the 35/2 IS about a month before I got the M. That gives me a relatively fast 56mm with IS. Now apply that same logic to a laundry list of L, Zeiss, and legacy glass. I also now have the ability to mount two zooms, two tse, two other primes etc etc simultaneously. And when I don't want to do that, I can still walk around with the pancake mounted as I do most of the time with it anyway. Again, options. Simply because I can (and it works). Would it have been preferable for me to have gone out and gotten a t5i, 60D, or 7D at 2 to 4 times the price just to accomplish for my purposes the exact same thing as the M?

Btw, for anyone who cares. Magic lantern rocks on the M. Magic zoom, focus peaking, and raw video alone make this thing rock more than anything else I can think of in the $300 class. I actually prefer using the M with all my legacy glass.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2013, 01:30:53 AM »

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2013, 02:00:18 AM »
I would always match glass to sensor.  M sensor is not the best but it is respectable.  Why degrade it with cheap glass?  If I had the correct focal length, I would opt for the L provided weight was not an issue.

totovo

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2013, 03:43:44 AM »
Would you hire a photographer shooting with M + adapter + EF/S lens for your wedding?

Failing to see the fundamental of M could end up in a long discussion ;)

I'd hire a photographer who could deliver good results, and wouldn't worry about what equipment they use to do it.

Put it another way: would you hire a photographer who didn't have proper contingency plans? My big Canon is a 5D mark II and if it were to fail at an event, the M would still work with all my lenses and flashes. My previous backup was a 30D, and that's all it was good for. The M is great as an everyday carry camera (it's always in my bag) and for traveling. I'd be totally comfortable using it as a backup/second body.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2013, 03:43:44 AM »