November 29, 2014, 12:29:09 AM

Author Topic: Mount EF, EF-S or L lens on EOS-M --- Your thought???  (Read 24158 times)

docsmith

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Mount EF, EF-S or L lens on EOS-M --- Your thought???
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2013, 08:49:40 PM »
I do hope that canon introduces a few more EF-M lenses, and a few more bodies...just to make the line sustainable.  But, I honestly don't know if I will buy anything more. I have the EOS-M, 18-55, the 22/2 and the 90 EX.  The M is my go anywhere camera, either because of its size or because if it gets stolen, I am only out a few hundred dollars instead of a few thousand.  Other than that, it is a back up body to my 5DIII when on serious trips.  That is it.  So, I really have little intention to buy more EF-M lenses and keeping up with current models.  I can only see me upgrading the body if there is some significant advances.

But Canon needs to have people who make the EOS-M their primary camera system.  That is just not me.  It is a back-up/secondary system for me.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2013, 08:49:40 PM »

cellomaster27

• EOS M2
  • Capture the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2013, 08:59:23 PM »
It's just that if I was taking photos at a wedding, I would not be using the eos-m.  Or a model shoot. etc.. Being paid, that is.

Did you click on the link I posted above?

Just did.  Fantastic stuff!  He/she did a great job with that!  Nice set up they had.  But it was a 'b-roll', not the main tape (makes sense). The photos are good!
100D, EOS M, EF-M 18-55mm f3.5-5.6, EF-S 18-55mm IS STM f3.5-5.6, EF 28mm f1.8 USM, EF-S 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM, EF 40mm f2.8 STM, EF 85mm f.18 USM, EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS, 430 EX II, kata 3n-1 22, triggers, lighting, stands, remotes, etc...

brad-man

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2013, 09:01:58 PM »
This guy probably isn't a serious shooter, either.   ::) ::)

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=16180.0

With all lighting and times setup for those shots, I just don't see any special

Professional photographers don't set up their shots? What's special is that the camera is very small and very affordable.

dtaylor

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2013, 09:50:20 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but would you trust it to take images that you would sell to your clients?

Yes.

I hope not. I'd rather have a 50D or even a t2i as a backup.

You would rather have an inferior sensor as a backup?

Having something reliable and good is better than smaller/cheaper.

Who told you the M was unreliable or not good?

dtaylor

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2013, 10:14:46 PM »
It's functions is annoying and especially with larger lenses than... Even the 22mm. 

What functions are annoying? I can tell you right now for street photography I enjoy using the M more then a DSLR. I didn't think I would like the touch screen UI and bought the M because of the $299 deal, and reluctantly at that because of the negative reviews. Now you couldn't pry it from me. I love being able to touch select AF points, love live view exposure simulation, and I find I like the touch screen. And while I would add a dial or two and tweak the UI if I could, overall I find it to be fluid and easy to use. Oh yeah...at least with single point AF set to the AE lock button rather then the shutter, I find AF to be quick, sure, and accurate, and the overall shooting experience to be responsive.

It certainly doesn't replace a DSLR for everything. And I do think larger lenses are awkward on it. But the EF-M 18-55 is well balanced and Canon's smaller EF primes also work well.

You don't find it cumbersome/awkward? One of the reasons why people like FF is the size and grip feel in the hands etc. You put a nice tele lens or even a 24-70mm on a FF and it feels right.

And it's heavy. For some lenses and types of photography I absolutely want a DSLR with a viewfinder and the camera braced against my face. For other types I'm thrilled with the small, light M.

Better sensor than the 7D, okay. Still that doesn't mean much of anything. How many cameras have a better sensor than the 7D?

Out of the history of DSLRs? Not many. Like the 7D the M will pull off a 24" fine art landscape print at low/mid ISO and still produce good 8x10's and even 13x19's at ISO 3200. It's better then the 7D at high ISO, especially shooting JPEGs.

The fact that you can buy an adapter and use your other canon and canon mount lenses is cool... But why is my question.  If they could make a 24-70mm or even an 18-55mm pancake, then ill sell all my gear and jump for it. :D

The existing 18-55 IS is small, light, and offers very good IQ. The only reason I think I would upgrade is if Canon offered a faster or constant aperture version.

The M is a very competent camera and I'm enjoying it so much for some types of photography that I added the 18-55, a flash, and will be adding the 11-22.

Cb33

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2013, 10:57:50 PM »
Somehow this thread is no longer relevant to the original post, but...

Would I use the M on a paid shoot? Yes, I just did. Shooting for a story in a small bi-monthly (~40,000 readers) about great spots for beer lovers. I took my regular gear and on a whim grabbed the M and 22mm as well. The bar I shot at was very welcoming but one of the bartenders I was shooting was clearly starting to get a little tense and nervous about a big camera in his face. So, I grabbed the M. I could shoot, conversation, and look the bartender in the eye at the same time. He relaxed and looked more natural. Guess which photos ran?

takesome1

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2013, 11:21:58 PM »
At a firesale price of $299 many bought one.

What I find amazing now is that the M has many more people defending it now.
I am not sure if it is pride of ownership, or ego's defending a purchase they once said they would never make.

I could see a use for this camera in my kit with the adapter if it had a flip screen.
If canon brings a new version with one I will get it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2013, 11:21:58 PM »

dtaylor

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2013, 11:46:16 PM »
I am not sure if it is pride of ownership, or ego's defending a purchase they once said they would never make.

It's simply that the M works pretty darn well.

Etienne

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Steve Brule
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2013, 12:03:53 AM »
I like the M for casual shooting. It's good to have an APS-C camera with an f/2.0 lens in your pocket for $299.

But it is still too slow sometimes. Focus is a little slow, and the camera itself is sluggish. For example it takes about 3 seconds before you can shoot again even when you change from AE to M mode. Getting out of menu to shoot again is also slow. There's no C1-C3, so you can't save any setup conditions. The movie mode also is not separated, so picture profile in photo mode is the same in movie, just like all other settings.

I could go on, but for me the camera is just a good point and shoot that's awkward and slow and is small enough to carry for an emergency back-up.

I hope Canon doesnt give up on it. They should produce a really compelling EOS-M II, but the first version is worth about the $299 fire sale price, and it won't replace my 5DIII on anything but late night pub crawls.

BTW ... I bought a genuine Canon EF adapter on eBay for $89, so it takes all of my other lenses, but I typically just use it with the 22mm f/2.0
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 12:05:57 AM by Etienne »

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2013, 12:18:00 AM »
At a firesale price of $299 many bought one.

I could see a use for this camera in my kit with the adapter if it had a flip screen.
If canon brings a new version with one I will get it.

I don't think so...  Why would people defend something that they have never used?  M threads were (mercifully) less frequent and shorter before the fire sale, which supports the idea that it did not sell all that well at its original price.  In some respects, looking at M threads that only ran for a dozen or two posts is much easier than any 70D/7D/FF vs. crop/Sony versus Canon sensor tech threads, etc.  I almost bought one at 400 on Ebay, but I'm glad I waited and snagged one at 300.  It was not a good value at 800 when T4i and T3is sold for less for the same IQ, but now it is.

If EOS-M 2 comes out back at 800, with similar IQ, I won't be interested.  Smaller sensors need faster glass when light levels are low.  I don't like its IQ at ISO 3200/6400 at 1/30th of a second, which is why I value the 22mm f/2 more than the 18-55 IS.  The M is cheaper than the S100 and delivers better IQ, so it has taken over the P&S's role in the house.  Until APC-S can match what FF sensors can do today, I can't imagine using a CSC as a primary camera.  The reduced flange distance gives it some advantages in lens design, but any fast glass (f/1.4) will require large lenses, so body size matters less and less.

takesome1

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2013, 12:22:19 AM »

It works the same now as when it was released ( except for any firmware upgrades of course)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2013, 12:27:24 AM »

It works the same now as when it was released ( except for any firmware upgrades of course)

Which is an important point, since the big sale occurred very soon after the firmware update which dramatically sped up AF (one of the biggest complaints about the camera from reviewers/users).  Cameras sold at sale prices seemed to mostly come with the new firmware, too.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

takesome1

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2013, 12:45:44 AM »

Which is an important point, since the big sale occurred very soon after the firmware update which dramatically sped up AF (one of the biggest complaints about the camera from reviewers/users).  Cameras sold at sale prices seemed to mostly come with the new firmware, too.

$299 seems to be a bigger reason for buying from the people I know who have bought it than a faster AF system.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2013, 12:45:44 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2013, 12:48:36 AM »
$299 seems to be a bigger reason for buying from the people I know who have bought it than a faster AF system.

Sure. But how many wouldn't have bought it, even for $299, without the improvement to the AF speed?  I don't know the answer to that, but I can tell you it's at least one.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

BL

• Canon 6D
  • Great gear is good. Good technique is better.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2013, 12:53:30 AM »
is there any point trying to defend one point or the other?

haters gonna hate lol
M, 5Dc, 1Dx, some lenses, a few lights

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2013, 12:53:30 AM »