December 21, 2014, 07:54:34 AM

Author Topic: Canon Targets Security Camera Market for Growth  (Read 8097 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Canon Targets Security Camera Market for Growth
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2013, 11:32:20 AM »
Since when have technologies devloped for security or military ever helped civilian products.

Well, I've found GPS/satellite navigation to be pretty helpful. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2013, 11:32:20 AM »

paul13walnut5

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2013, 11:33:02 AM »
Clever Dr Brain doesn't do irony shock.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2013, 11:39:31 AM »
Touché, Paul.   :)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2013, 11:45:30 AM »
Clever Dr Brain doesn't do irony shock.

sarcasm in between straight-talk makes it hard to spot  ;D
1DX, 5D3, 600D, RX100
16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L II, 100-400L, 50L, 85L II, 135L, 24TSE, 40, 100 macro, 18-55 II, 55-250 II, 1.4x III, 2x III, 600RT x 4
The grass is always greener when you crank up the saturation in photoshop

surapon

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2013, 12:49:35 PM »
Yes, Yes, Yes----About time that My Love Canon company try to compete with Panasonic/ Sony/Vicon/Bosch/Phillips/Tamron and Pelco.---Which I specified and Use These CCTV / Security cameras system in my Jail/ Detention Project more than 1.5 Million US Dollars each year.
About time that My Dear Canon use their great / Fast Lens in this Security Market.
Surapon
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 04:46:18 PM by surapon »

kjay27

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2013, 01:28:44 PM »
Since when have technologies devloped for security or military ever helped civilian products.

And how 'bout the internet.  It was originally developed by the Pentagon's DARPA (Al Gore's self claim to the contrary)

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2013, 04:02:29 PM »
Hmmmmmm........

The big projects I have worked on....

Teledon... invented in Ottawa Canada, the inspiration for HTML.... ( this was late 1970's.... phone modems to communicate, a compact formatting language, and interactive browsing of pages)
High speed modems.....
Darpanet.... became the internet..... (Canada and the USA jointly developed it... Canadian lead scientist was Dr. John Robinson (my boss), released to the world 1986)
Wireless data communications.....
Satellite communications.....
Search and Rescue beacons and groundstations.... we did the first detect of a crashed plane in 1985....

what good ever came from military research?????
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 04:04:33 PM by Don Haines »
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2013, 04:02:29 PM »

gferdinandsen

• EOS M2
  • was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker
    • View Profile
    • Home
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2013, 05:33:26 PM »

1) Penicillin
2) GPS
3) HUD's
4) All sorts of aircraft technologies
5) Graphite Golf Clubs (light weight composites)

Would you like me to continue?
1v HS, 5D3, 60 Da, 40D (IR), G1-X, 17-40L, 24-70L (Mk II), 24-105L, 70-200L (2.8 Mk 1), 24 TS-E L (Mk 1), 45 TS-E, 50 1.2L, 100 L Macro -- CPS Gold Membership

paul13walnut5

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2013, 06:43:17 PM »
Hahaha Dr. Brain is not alone it seems.

Read back muppets.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2013, 06:52:23 PM »

Electronic Computers!  Developed to calculate shell trajectories during WWII.  Eventually evolving into commercial products.
The Internet :)

The list of products that evolved from Military R&D is beyond comprehension.  Many people don't realize how much of our modern electronics have their roots in Military Research.

Skulker

• Canon 6D
  • PP is no vice and as shot is no virtue
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2013, 07:14:11 PM »
How come this boring notice makes the front page, one that has nothing to do with consumer users and the absolutely critical report about the column ADC patent, also mentioned by Angkorwat  in the same posting doesn't?  :o

The ADC patent might mean that maybe finally Canon puts out some state of art sensors again, ones maybe even better than Exmor since they may also have the best DR at high ISO too.

This was the important part of Ankor's posting:
http://image-sensors-world.blogspot.se/2013/08/canon-files-for-dual-range-column.html

Perhaps because no one understands it?

Someone asked essentially that on the other thread and instead all that we got were snide comments about Ankor. Seriously, I understand that it is fun for some on this forum to play into his obsessions and goad him into arguments, but it would be nice if someone would also take a little time and explain what this patent means.

Put simply (and he did mention this) it means, if Canon actually implements it, that we should be able to do at least as well as Exmor for low ISO dynamic range while still doing as well at the best cameras at high ISO DR (which are non-Exmor). So it would be like the low ISO DR of a D800 and the high ISO DR of a 1DX/D4 all at once.

Put simply its a leap of faith to say what it will achieve "if Canon actually implements it". There is the little matter of going through R&D first to see what it can achieve. Its fair to assume that someone at Canon has faith it will work, but I bet they are being careful about what they are claiming.

What the patent describes is having more than one gain so in a gross simplification its sort of like a camera working at two different ISO settings at one time. You might think of it as in chip HDR.

Its an idea that has distinct possibilities but no one here will be able to do more than guess at the outcome. How educated the guess is will be for you the reader to decide for your selves.  ;D
If you debate with a fool onlookers can find it VERY difficult to tell the difference.

Skulker

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2013, 07:16:40 PM »

Read back muppets.

Once its got a momentum you cant stop it anymore than turn back the tide. Sit back and enjoy the ride.
If you debate with a fool onlookers can find it VERY difficult to tell the difference.

paul13walnut5

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2013, 07:20:03 PM »

Read back muppets.

Once its got a momentum you cant stop it anymore than turn back the tide. Sit back and enjoy the ride.

Might as well.  If it wasn't a school night I'd open a beer.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2013, 07:20:03 PM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2013, 12:00:17 AM »
How come this boring notice makes the front page, one that has nothing to do with consumer users and the absolutely critical report about the column ADC patent, also mentioned by Angkorwat  in the same posting doesn't?  :o

The ADC patent might mean that maybe finally Canon puts out some state of art sensors again, ones maybe even better than Exmor since they may also have the best DR at high ISO too.

This was the important part of Ankor's posting:
http://image-sensors-world.blogspot.se/2013/08/canon-files-for-dual-range-column.html

Perhaps because no one understands it?

Someone asked essentially that on the other thread and instead all that we got were snide comments about Ankor. Seriously, I understand that it is fun for some on this forum to play into his obsessions and goad him into arguments, but it would be nice if someone would also take a little time and explain what this patent means.

Put simply (and he did mention this) it means, if Canon actually implements it, that we should be able to do at least as well as Exmor for low ISO dynamic range while still doing as well at the best cameras at high ISO DR (which are non-Exmor). So it would be like the low ISO DR of a D800 and the high ISO DR of a 1DX/D4 all at once.

Put simply its a leap of faith to say what it will achieve "if Canon actually implements it". There is the little matter of going through R&D first to see what it can achieve. Its fair to assume that someone at Canon has faith it will work, but I bet they are being careful about what they are claiming.

What the patent describes is having more than one gain so in a gross simplification its sort of like a camera working at two different ISO settings at one time. You might think of it as in chip HDR.

Its an idea that has distinct possibilities but no one here will be able to do more than guess at the outcome. How educated the guess is will be for you the reader to decide for your selves.  ;D

People have already shown how shadows work at ISO1600 vs ISO100 years ago. Hint: it helps a LOT.

Skulker

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2013, 04:09:42 AM »

People have already shown how shadows work at ISO1600 vs ISO100 years ago. Hint: it helps a LOT.

I couldn't agree more and cant imagine many would disagree. But BTW to be frank it's quite arguable that these days the difference between iso1600 and iso4000 is much more interesting.

But that is just the basis for this concept. To start drawing conclusions as to what will come out of the R and D is pretty much a waste of time. IMHO That's why I'm more interested in Canon moving into security cameras than in ankorwott's speculation. And just in case you misunderstand the point of that sentence I'd like to make it clear that I am not very interested in security cameras.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2013, 04:09:42 AM »