December 09, 2016, 10:40:42 AM

Author Topic: 1Ds Mark IV & 5D Mark III [CR0.5]  (Read 23023 times)

fred_jb

Re: 1Ds Mark IV & 5D Mark III [CR0.5]
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2011, 04:20:13 PM »
The 5D III spec seems plausible to me as it is almost exactly what is expected of the Nikon D700 replacement.

Although I'm pretty happy with my 5D II, an increase to 6fps would make me want to upgrade as this turns the camera into much more of an all-rounder, and therefore more competitive with the current Nikon D700 and more importantly with the expected D800.

I've no doubt that 6fp is achievable given the info on Digic 5 which has come with the S100 compact release.

Fred

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2011, 04:20:13 PM »

Picsfor

« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2011, 05:19:49 PM »
Mmmmm, time to add my two penneth worth.

5D3 having better iso range than a 1Ds4? You mean like the 5D2 having a better iso range than the 1Ds3, by a country mile.
More mo's has been suggested - as an owner of 2x 5D2's I can assure you that by and large 21mp FF sensor is adequate for just about everything.
7D focusing really would be welcome. Any one who owns or has used a 5D or 5D2 will tell you the focusing is the achilles heel of these cameras.
6fp would really kill off the Nikon competition because it would make the camera a very good all rounder. Had 6.5fps on my 40D and found it more than adequate for most situations.

MP's on 1Ds4 sound just too high. A canon tech person told me earlier this year that Canon would be working to achieve a 50mp FF sensor in the future with considerably greater iso levels than currently available and a much better dynamic range that almost mats he's the human eye. The indications were that this was not a next generation goal...

For what you could put in a 1D body with newer technology is any ones guess...

amarlez

« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2011, 06:11:38 PM »
MP's on 1Ds4 sound just too high. A canon tech person told me earlier this year that Canon would be working to achieve a 50mp FF sensor in the future with considerably greater iso levels than currently available and a much better dynamic range that almost mats he's the human eye. The indications were that this was not a next generation goal...

But (if my math is right...) a 54 MP square sensor would give you 30 MP if you cropped it vertical or horizontal. That doesn't sound so unrealistic. It hasn't been talked about for a while, but with all the talk there was a couple months ago about different frame rates associated with selectable crop modes, I wouldn't be surprised if Canon were planning an approach where you had more control over which pixels on a sensor you could pick to be used.

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2011, 09:19:50 PM »
So why does this rumor get 0.5 when:
1. it is logically consistent unlike many of the rumors which got CR1-CR1.5
2. if they do less than this they will get smashed by Nikon (is 1 series AF crazy? is 2 more stops DR crazy? is 6.3 fps crazy? Nikon already has that in a small FF for years and all they need to add is video and double the MP and who doesn't think they will for the D800?)

with the speed of Digic V this could have full sensor scaled down video for true $$$$$ Hollywood top digital movie camera quality (barring worse in cam compression and probably only 8bits per channel video).

LetTheRightLensIn

« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2011, 09:21:08 PM »
It sounds good, but so good I'm a bit suspicious, more "wish list" like then "reality"...or at least it's too good and if I thought it were real I'd probably get disappointed when it isn't

JSP

yeah the only thing that makes on worry about it is that it actually makes perfect sense :D
and it's the same specs a few of us have been tossing around for 2-3 years hoping to Canon's notice, almost to the T.

but hopefully it's not someone just packaging those nice wish lists sensibly and it's real

etto72

« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2011, 09:23:31 PM »
those specs make a lot of sense to me!

The only way to have both camera on the market without killing the sale of the flagship
is using different sensor!

First of all because you don't want again give to the 5D a poor AF !! enough of that!!!
than,if you want to keep the great high iso movie  profile that the 5D had,you can't pack to many mp on the sensor and I don't think that after 4 years a 3 or 10mp increase will push the Ds mk II owner to update

I don't see 54mp bee to high for our day sensor tech
2 years old 7D sensor on a full camera will give  about 46mp! and that sensor perform really well at iso 3200 and very decently at iso 6400

The only think i can't believe is that in the Dlsr 9000$ flagship Canon can't add Mpeg codec 4 2 2 !!!!
....but of corse in the other hand the 5D is the movie flagship Dslr

I just hope its true!!
 ;D ;D

But (if my math is right...) a 54 MP square sensor would give you 30 MP if you cropped it vertical or horizontal. That doesn't sound so unrealistic. It hasn't been talked about for a while, but with all the talk there was a couple months ago about different frame rates associated with selectable crop modes, I wouldn't be surprised if Canon were planning an approach where you had more control over which pixels on a sensor you could pick to be used.

LetTheRightLensIn

« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2011, 09:24:05 PM »
Citing the higher sensel count as reason for limited video seems odd. Its a CMOS, you can read only those sensels you really need.
Would be something different if we're talking about digital pixels, those also would allow for much greater DR.  But not mentioning such a change in concept?

No, because even dual digic V doesn't sound like it would have the power to perfectly down sample the entire sensor if it were to be more than 36MP and yet the 5D3 at 24MP it just, just might be able to do that in 24fps mode. That would make the video quality insanely better than now (especially if they also improved the compression just a little).

And reading out 54MP so fast might burn out the chip anyway until they find even better cooling and high efficiency or make for poor quality stills with high speed amps or something.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2011, 09:24:05 PM »

LetTheRightLensIn

« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2011, 09:28:17 PM »
54Mp? Why I don't believe in this?

P.S. Only medium format cameras (like Hassel) can produce such numbers with more-less acceptable noise. But they are not so fast as they could be and files are huge. I would devide this number by two or so for FF bodies.

It makes perfect sense.
Canon has said they want to take on MF for a long time.
They love market segmentation and but need the the 5D line to become a lot more than a glorified rebel with big sensor and this allows for that and the 1D line is protected by being 10fps at least instead of just 6.3fps.
Who would keep buying an $8000 whatever 1Ds at this point? How do they keep the 5D bodies low spec and not soon get killed by Nikon?

The 1D5 can go FF eventually and be the super fast FF. The 5D can be the super advanced amateur and pro who can manage to live without full on sports 10fps but still get a solid 6.3fps. The 1Ds can be a really slow but super high MP cam with slow reads for more valid bits and tons of MP.

Only thing is it sounds like it all makes too much sense....

LetTheRightLensIn

« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2011, 09:29:38 PM »
5D Mark III
    * 2 stops better ISO than 5D mk II

Take a look at how DxOMark scores have evolved. I'm  calling BS on this. The Nikon D5100 is only about 1 stop better than the aging (2003) Canon Rebel.  The (2005) 5D classic still soundly beats any APS-C sensor, and the 5D mark II gained a little less than half a stop.

Maybe they just mean mostly low ISO DR? Heck the Nikon cams ALREADY 2 stops better DR than the 5D2!

DuLt

« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2011, 11:28:35 AM »
Wouldn't it make sense a new digic V line-up as this:

- 1D: Pro camera, tons of mp for studio, 10 fps for sports (in crop mode);
- 5D: Studio camera, low-light photography;
- 7D: Sports camera with 1D AF.

I'm discarding the XXD, XXXD, XXXXD, because they will most likely be a strip down 7D (less thoughness, less buttons, less everything).

AG

• Canon 70D
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2011, 09:52:13 PM »
Curious thought.

The Power Shots just got released and they have the 12.1 version of the D5 processor in them.

Taking them as being a 1/2 sized sensor and then expanding that to the size of a full frame, 24MP would seem feasible.

and for those complaining that its only a 3MP jump from the 5D2, if they do/are intending to make the camera video focused as some of the rumours have suggested, then they may have decided that 24MP was enough but give the camera better low light (the 2 ISO steps part) and put most of their efforts in getting that picture cleaner instead of trying to squeeze more MP in there. Make the most of what you have etc.

I could just be dreaming, but lets hope they announce  it soon so we can all start speculating about the 5D4/6D or whatever comes next.
 ::)
Yes, i shoot video on a DSLR.

samirachiko

« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2011, 05:20:20 AM »
I'm waiting this beautiful camera BUT if it will have more than 24 Mpx I will not buy it!!... >:(
A lot of Mpx is not good... absolutely...  :'(

Tarrum

« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2011, 05:26:46 AM »
What? You do realize technology is improving? Sure, there are always some people who do not need that many, but there are those who need it. And what if it has 25?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2011, 05:26:46 AM »

ABrianCDN

« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2011, 04:40:53 PM »
If I may - This is from the 5D Mk III (alleged) spec:

"New video codec, not Raw. MPEG 4:2:2, new video functions such as tracking focus in video mode"

Does this mean that the "new" 5D would continue to use RAW for still images? (I really don't care much about the video side of things)

cbphoto

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2011, 07:44:23 PM »
First time post.

I've enjoyed the rumors for a few years, and, yes, I'd buy both of these camera bodies.
~ CB

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2011, 07:44:23 PM »