August 02, 2014, 05:41:07 AM

Author Topic: A Canon Hollywood Event on November 3, 2011  (Read 14189 times)

Shnookums

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
A Canon Hollywood Event on November 3, 2011
« on: September 15, 2011, 07:23:11 PM »
http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/15/canon-plans-hollywood-event-ready-to-roll-out-the-red-carpet-on/

In Hollywood?

Could be DSLR with video but could also be 4k FF camcorder or something like it.

Anyway, exciting :)

C

canon rumors FORUM

« on: September 15, 2011, 07:23:11 PM »

riogrande100

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Re: A Canon Hollywood Event on November 3, 2011
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 07:38:30 PM »
Maybe a Hollywood centric camera but im guessing probably a full DSLR Video Camera HyBrid, so that the camera can be adopted ito even more movies and TV shows.

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 07:48:14 PM »
“Canon is making an historical global announcement” So what does Canon have planned for November 3, 2011? Something big apparently.

I would say this event is NOT for an EOS or Mirrorless camera system, the city it’s being held in should be a giveaway. I expect something new and exciting for the cinematographer.

We had this rumor a few weeks back about a November announcement.

4K camera? An EF compatible video camera? Something to compete with RED? Something to compete with Sony & Panasonic? I’m sure we’ll be learning more before November 3, 2011.

Project Imagin8ion It has been suggested by a reader that the event could be related to the Project Imagin8ion partnership with Ron Howard.

Thanks to everyone that sent this in.

via [eg]

cr

« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 08:03:14 PM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 08:03:50 PM »
Exciting, and only 7 weeks to discuss it!! ;-) Whatever cameras they announce, I would bet USB 3.0 is involved somewhere.

With it being Hollwood, makes me think Paparazzi, glam, and for some reason high-end DSLRs.

Looking forward to this "Historic Announcement".
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 08:05:15 PM »
Okay, paging all trolls . . . for once, a topic I can get behind certain individuals that give the raspberries to anything that doesn't mention an $8k camera . . .

Gentlemen, before you pounce, I agree with the impending "big fat hairy deal" :)

Seriously, a new A and Elph would be much more promising . . .
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

macfly

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 08:44:52 PM »
Well since it's where I live I suggest that the team here send me along as your roving reporter, and I'll report back with live updates.

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 09:36:45 PM »
One might hope for 5D3. The new Digic V sounds like it might be fast enough to do 24fps with full, proper, sampling over the entire 21-24MP sensor which would give the video world's better resolution, less noise and far, FAR less moire/aliasing than the 5D2 video and might even top out the $$$$$$$$ top line cinema cams (of course it might be 8bits per channel and with much worse compression that what you can get out of those).

Although maybe it's just the new camcorders. :(

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 09:36:45 PM »

amarlez

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 09:39:05 PM »
We actually know that it's anything BUT a camera announcement date.

Anyone remember the link for Project Imagin8ion on the Canon site? This has to be that. And they would never announce two things big like that together and have the publicity undercut one another.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Imagination

Son of Daguerre

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 10:08:50 PM »
Definitely a 4K camera. Possibly an EF-compatible 4K video camera.

jlev23

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 10:41:56 PM »
sorry to burst peoples bubble, but i have the inside track and its not going to be camera at all, its going to be the release of the two light weight professional pl mount canon zooms for use with many alexas, epics and other highly professional hd cameras, plus they are going to have a hefty price tag.
5D MKIII

DJL329

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 11:42:00 PM »
“Canon is making an historical global announcement”

Psst, moderator.  It's "historic" (something important), not "historical" (anything from the past, not necessarily important).   ;)
Canon EOS 5D Mark III | EF 14mm f/2.8L | EF 28mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | EF 300mm f/4L IS

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 11:58:38 PM »
Whatever it is, I probably can't afford it.  If it is a FF cinema camera, I doubt that it would use EF lenses.

Cinema quality lenses are a whole different product than EF lenses, with a price to match. Thats why they are usually rented.

daniel charms

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 12:59:51 AM »
We actually know that it's anything BUT a camera announcement date.

Anyone remember the link for Project Imagin8ion on the Canon site? This has to be that. And they would never announce two things big like that together and have the publicity undercut one another.
Except this will be a Hollywood, CA event, while the Imagination event will take place in New York, so it doesn't seem to be it (not to mention that they've already announced that one).

Whatever it is, I probably can't afford it.  If it is a FF cinema camera, I doubt that it would use EF lenses.

Cinema quality lenses are a whole different product than EF lenses, with a price to match. Thats why they are usually rented.
Who says they're aiming for the ultra-expensive cinema camera market, though? That market seems to be quite well saturated and there can't be much profit to be made there, at least compared to consumer products. On the other hand, the 5D2 has proven that many amateur and indie film-makers don't really care if the camera and lenses they use are "cinema quality", as long as they get the work done and are relatively cheap. So I wouldn't be surprised if Canon really does come out with an EF mount video camera because there seems to be quite a huge market for something like this - a market Canon themselves created and where there's (seemingly) hardly any competition.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 12:59:51 AM »

UncleFester

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 01:11:56 AM »
“Canon is making an historical global announcement”

Psst, moderator.  It's "historic" (something important), not "historical" (anything from the past, not necessarily important).   ;)

And a instead of an.  It will probably turn out to be hysterical anyway.

Korg pulled this stunt not to long ago only to reveal another revamped version of their tired keyboard line.

Small | Large

leGreve

• EOS M2
  • Full time photographer and film maker omnifilm.dk
    • View Profile
    • leGreve Photography
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 02:20:25 AM »

My thoughts as well... the cinema world is an ambitious step, and I might say that it's even too ambitious for Canon the Consumer Company.

Even though the EF L series lenses can look nice on video, the step up is definitely visible on the pro cinema lenses ranging from 5k dollars and up a piece. If I indeed did invest in something in the range of RED or Alexa, I would never humble myself to use anything less than Zeiss CP, and most likely I would try to find the finances to step it up one or two notches.

On the other hand... maybe Canon is just blowing out steam to avoid people running away from their aging Eos series to one of the competitors... like Sony or Pana :) It would buy them some time to get closer to the Ds and mk III release and have people "uuuuuuhhh" and "ahhhhh". Never underestimate fanbois.
5D III -  Zeiss Otus 55mm 1.4 ~ 24-70 2.8L II ~ 70-200 2.8L II IS USM ~ 100 2.8L IS USM Macro ~ 16-35 2.8L II ~ Canon Extender 2x III

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 02:20:25 AM »