October 25, 2014, 10:48:34 AM

Author Topic: A Canon Hollywood Event on November 3, 2011  (Read 14645 times)

justicend

Re: A Canon Hollywood Event on November 3, 2011
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2011, 02:27:31 AM »
Hollywood event means something related with cinema and cinematographer. So it has to be something big, since canon pl mount lens are available already. And Project imagin8ion ??? whats that "8" doing there with imaging ? 8k project from canon. canonrumor.com traffic increases this two weeks I suppose.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2011, 02:27:31 AM »

gene_can_sing

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2011, 02:40:19 AM »
I think it will be a video camera of some sort.

Could be the next 5D3 also since the 5D2 was a very revolutionary video camera.

I work in TV in Los Angeles and the 5D2 was definitely a revolution. The high end stuff is mostly shot on RED and Alexa, but the Canons are used a lot on budget stuff. Several years ago, I worked the NBC rebrand (which is on TV about 100 times a night). Most of the cast from all the prime time shows were shot with the 5D2 and this was a very high profile, huge job.

In fact, I would say the 5D2 is much more revolutionary than the RED because it brought interchangeable lens HD to the masses. PLUS, it's the ONLY full frame video camera so it has that really sexy look.

So yeah, the 5D2 and 7D has made a huge impact on independent films and lower end broadcast stuff.

As for the people who discredit EOS lenses for high quality video, why would RED make an EOS mount specifically for the RED Epic? It's because you can get great results on EOS lenses that won't kill your budget.

99% of people cannot buy PL mount glass and Zeiss CP lenses are also really expensive. It's very nice to own a set of lenses that you can use at any time. PLs and Zeiss CPs are lenses you have to rent because of the price, so you can never just walk out the door and shoot something.

So for the rest of us, EOS is a great, affordable video lens option. And TONS of great videos have been made with EOS lenses in the last few years. Just look at Philip Bloom. He's not alone as there are many others who don't worry about prestige and just shoot with what they have.

If Canon is smart, they will come out with something more affordable, yet close to the RED and higher end Sonys in specs. Then, they would do really well. After all, 5Ds cost a lot more than Rebels, but I bet Canon makes a lot more revenue off the Rebels than the 5Ds because of sheer sales volume. I think that's what Canon should do. The 5D2 was a perfect example of decent camera that cut into the high end REDs because of a good price tag. Of course the RED is better, but the 5D2 is good enough in many instances.

Just fix the dreaded moire pattern, make it 422, add 1080 60p, a bit more detail in the video and I will be happy. That's not asking for a whole lot. Sony has already done it (minus the 422)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 02:43:50 AM by gene_can_sing »

Polansky

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2011, 03:03:04 AM »
My guess: Canon will anounce that they will retreat out of the DSLR market and will solely focus on the video market in future.  ;)

Why does it take so long for Canon to announce the 1Ds MKIV?
I honestly start to think 1Ds series is EOL.

NormanBates

• Canon 7D MK II
  • www.similaar.com
    • View Profile
    • www.similaar.com
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2011, 04:24:05 AM »
yes, canon PL glass has already been done, so it wouldn't be "historic"
http://nofilmschool.com/2011/04/canon-announces-pl-mount-zoom-lenses-pl/

so my bet is EF-mount video camera, and I hope it’s good enought that they don’t feel they have to cripple the video functions of the 5D3, for which I’d say the time is 2012Q1

oh, and by the way, my hopes for the 5D3 are pretty close to what gene_can_sing said: clean image (no aliasing/moire), better codec (422 XF), better low light (clean ISO 6400), and 1080p60

Gothmoth

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2011, 04:34:46 AM »
My guess: Canon will anounce that they will retreat out of the DSLR market and will solely focus on the video market in future.  ;)

Why does it take so long for Canon to announce the 1Ds MKIV?
I honestly start to think 1Ds series is EOL.

and i wonder where trolls like you come from.   ::)

canon could sure release a new 1Ds modell every 18 month.
but to make big improvements the development process needs time.

who wants minor improvements on a camera that is so expensive?

i mean face it.... 80% of you guys who scream for a new 1Ds have not the MONEY to buy it anyway. and that is the simple truth....

« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 04:52:08 AM by Gothmoth »

philHolland

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2011, 05:15:44 AM »
On the topic of lenses that sprouted up here.

Canon lenses are suitable and have been used in motion pictures for years (I've used them myself for just that).  Above that, for those using VistaVision systems through Super35 there are lenses that have been rehoused from still lenses built by Nikon, Canon, Olympus, and Leica.

Most of what people are after when it comes to higher quality cinema glass is "flatness" (no barrel distortion/pin cushioning),  corner to corner sharpness, minimal lens breathing, and hopefully no true optical artifacts (like chromatic aberration, ghosting, etc).  Basically providing a very natural viewing experience when pulling focus and swapping out glass.  Optical quality is often more important than size and weight in the motion picture world.

That said, Canon and other manufacturers are trying to do something wildly different.  They are trying to pack the most "bang" into the most compact "gun".  Basically pushing for fewer optics, lighter weight, with a focus on portability.  Optically towards price versus quality they are very nice.  I have friends though who complain that the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS is too heavy. 

Try shooting with a 45lb+ shoulder rig all day :)  In fact these days, it's not totally uncommon for cinema gear to go up to 90lbs on a tripod.  Which is scary in reality.  It's like shooting a movie with your 5D Mark II and a small person sitting on the camera.

Lens selection is very personal for cinematographers (and photographers for that matter) and those who demand the most out of their optics don't mind buying (or more likely renting) lens kits that range in the $30k-$300K price point.  I've seen a few films shoot with one versatile high quality zoom.  However, most high end features are shot on primes.  Often though, it's again, a personal choice between zoom and prime for the shooter.

NormanBates

• Canon 7D MK II
  • www.similaar.com
    • View Profile
    • www.similaar.com
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2011, 06:50:45 AM »
when money, size and weight are not longer an issue, you can start to complain about stuff that regular people would never, ever, even think about; and that's when canon L glass starts to be sub-par

but even people using those super awesome cine lenses can perceive the awesomeness of a decent image in a small package for a (relatively) very low price, and that's where canon could come in

anybody interested in the world of huge cine lenses, please visit this blog:
http://timurcivan.blogspot.com/
for things such as a mildly negative review of the zeiss compact primes (because the look that the lenses deliver is not consistent throughout the range) ($3900 each):
http://timurcivan.blogspot.com/2011/07/examination-of-lenses-carl-zeiss.html
and an enthusiastic review of the cooke ipanchro set of cine primes ($7400 each):
http://timurcivan.blogspot.com/2011/04/examination-of-lenses-part-ii-cooke.html
(and yes, I know in many ways it's a bit like watching p0rn...)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2011, 06:50:45 AM »

philHolland

Project Imagin8ion
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2011, 08:38:26 AM »
In terms of Project Imagin8ion, Ron Howard, and Canon; there was no clue on what the final project would be shot on other than "Canon cameras".   While the trailer and preview concept was certainly shot with current HDSLRs, it would be solid publicity to have a big director like Ron Howard to be the first to do something out of the gate with some new toys. 

Make's you wonder if that "8" is so innocent in that name.

NormanBates

• Canon 7D MK II
  • www.similaar.com
    • View Profile
    • www.similaar.com
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2011, 09:39:16 AM »
an 8D with a DSLR body but catering to the video crowd would be awesome

I want:
* 7D style body
* 7D price
* no aliasing/moire
* high quality 422 codec
* clean ISO 3200
* 11 Mpix sensor with APS-C size but 16:9 aspect ratio (22.3 x 12.5 instead of 22.3 x 14.9mm), and a resolution of 4450x2490, for sharp 4K footage; if that's too much, 3 Mpix (2300x1300) for sharp 1080p will also make me very happy
* you can save the mirror, viewfinder, flash and even the AF system, just give me a canon-brand LCD loupe with a nice quick-release mechanism built-in in the swivel LCD, thankyouverymuch

gene_can_sing

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2011, 09:59:45 AM »
I could be wrong, but I think the 8 is a reference to the final 8 photos that Ron Howard choose from thousands of photos, which is somehow an important aspect of his project.

Since Canon doesn't really have a high end video market to protect, I hope what they try to do is offer something in the near performance range of the RED, but at a more consumer price. Of course it will still be expensive (probably more than many are willing to spend), but REDs and Alexas are really, really expensive and mostly the domain of rental houses and a few individuals. They would really undercut RED and allow many more to own a camera and lenses capable of cinema quality.

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2011, 11:34:35 AM »
oh, and by the way, my hopes for the 5D3 are pretty close to what gene_can_sing said: clean image (no aliasing/moire), better codec (422 XF), better low light (clean ISO 6400), and 1080p60
@NormanBates: As I am currently shooting a 30D saving up for 5Diii:
What would clean ISO 6400 mean compared to my 30D?
Would ISO 25600 on the 5Diii look something like my 30D's H (ISO3200) well exposed to the right or even cleaner?
Thanks in advance. Cheers, Pedro
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

CdnBook

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2011, 11:48:16 AM »
I've been a pro DSLR cinematographer for two years now - words can't even begin to describe how badly I want a 5D3 with increased video performance, or an affordable 4-5k full-frame video camera!  ;D

I think Canon's got an ace up their sleeve with regards to video, which might even rock the boat a little around RED and Alexa. My only concern is, Canon didn't know what they had when they launched the 5D2 (or at least how revolutionary it would become). Now they know exactly what they have, and may price it accordingly only because they can... which worries me.

I really hope the future of video at Canon continues on in the same spirit as the 5D2's affordability.

Gothmoth

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2011, 12:08:33 PM »
cinematographer... mhm... would that not mean i can see you work in cinemas?

unfortunately all so called cinematographer i know produce for everything but the cinema...   ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2011, 12:08:33 PM »

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2011, 12:18:36 PM »
I really hope the future of video at Canon continues on in the same spirit as the 5D2's affordability.
plus one, could this give way to an FF 6D in the near future? with less video facilities...I don't use it anyway...good stills handheld at low light is the game I'm in... 8)
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

CdnBook

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2011, 12:44:19 PM »
cinematographer... mhm... would that not mean i can see you work in cinemas?

unfortunately all so called cinematographer i know produce for everything but the cinema...   ;D

Cinematography is an art form. Saying it has to appear in the cinema to be called cinematography is like saying paintings are only paintings if they're hung in an art gallery that you pay admission for. Silly.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2011, 12:44:19 PM »