April 19, 2014, 01:53:18 PM

Author Topic: A Canon Hollywood Event on November 3, 2011  (Read 13446 times)

gene_can_sing

Re: A Canon Hollywood Event on November 3, 2011
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2011, 01:26:02 PM »
cinematographer... mhm... would that not mean i can see you work in cinemas?

unfortunately all so called cinematographer i know produce for everything but the cinema...   ;D

Cinematography is an art form. Saying it has to appear in the cinema to be called cinematography is like saying paintings are only paintings if they're hung in an art gallery that you pay admission for. Silly.

These days, I actually see a lot more interesting cinematography being done on Vimeo than the actual movies. Of course it's like comparing apples to oranges since films tend to be narrative driven, but from a pure photographic perspective, people are doing some great stuff because of the DSLRs.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2011, 01:26:02 PM »

DuLt

« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2011, 01:32:07 PM »
cinematographer... mhm... would that not mean i can see you work in cinemas?

unfortunately all so called cinematographer i know produce for everything but the cinema...   ;D

Cinematography is an art form. Saying it has to appear in the cinema to be called cinematography is like saying paintings are only paintings if they're hung in an art gallery that you pay admission for. Silly.

These days, I actually see a lot more interesting cinematography being done on Vimeo than the actual movies. Of course it's like comparing apples to oranges since films tend to be narrative driven, but from a pure photographic perspective, people are doing some great stuff because of the DSLRs.

Let's not forget that most hollywood productions are either genre films, cookie cutted from a generic mold or adaptations.

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2011, 04:01:47 PM »
Let's not forget that most hollywood productions are either genre films, cookie cutted from a generic mold or adaptations.

Yeah, pretty much.  Anyone who hasn't seen Lawrence of Arabia will get a really eerie feeling when they watch it for the first time like they've seen it every 2 years since it came out with different actors/scenery (never as good).

Blair Witch was something new when it came out, but I think most of us were over the newness about 28 minutes into it  ;D
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2011, 05:57:42 PM »
I just received word from a close friend who is in an executive position at Canon that the November announcement will be for the newest version of the Canon Calculator Mouse.

They are inviting all the Hollywood Stars to the event and will be unveiling versions of the new mouse in a variety of designer colors and patterns. They have signed Victoria Beckham to be the new spokesperson for the device and even have a specially designed version called "Vicky Mouse."
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

NormanBates

• 6D
  • www.similaar.com
    • View Profile
    • www.similaar.com
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2011, 05:19:34 AM »
oh, and by the way, my hopes for the 5D3 are pretty close to what gene_can_sing said: clean image (no aliasing/moire), better codec (422 XF), better low light (clean ISO 6400), and 1080p60

@NormanBates: As I am currently shooting a 30D saving up for 5Diii:
What would clean ISO 6400 mean compared to my 30D?
Would ISO 25600 on the 5Diii look something like my 30D's H (ISO3200) well exposed to the right or even cleaner?
Thanks in advance. Cheers, Pedro

when you neutralize the increase in resolution, the 5D2 has two stops better low-light than your 30D:
http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Compare-Camera-Sensors/Compare-cameras-side-by-side/%28appareil1%29/483|0/%28brand%29/Canon/%28appareil2%29/179|0/%28brand2%29/Canon

the improvement from the 5D to the 5D2 was one stop, so maybe my hopes are not realistic...
http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Compare-Camera-Sensors/Compare-cameras-side-by-side/%28appareil1%29/483|0/%28brand%29/Canon/%28appareil2%29/176|0/%28brand2%29/Canon

but on the video side of things everything should be much easier: just switching from the current line-skipping to proper downsampling should deliver a huge reduction in noise
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 05:22:13 AM by NormanBates »

jodym

« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2011, 10:45:57 PM »
It may be wishful thinking, but I think it's interesting that three of the eight winners (Jen Berry, Brooke Shaden and Chris Wehner) specifically talk about the Canon 5D MII and how important it is to their work and what a great camera it is in their blogs entries. Another winner talks about how exciting it is to see still photography and motion photography blending. I'm cautiously optimistic.

(I don't know if I'm doing this correctly. This is my first time posting here.)

WhoaGreen

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2011, 10:54:55 PM »
Just for the record this is my guess:
My guess is Canon is going to release a hybrid video/photo camera (or at least video priority) or high resolution cinema quality camera that uses an EF mount, BUT at the same time they're going to announce a new EF mount series. One that is targeted towards video, like lenses with power zoom. I bet that USM technology, the motor used in some lenses for AF, could also be added to the zoom; it would be quick, silent and be passive if older cameras don't support it. It would be named like "EF-Z" for its power-Zoom feature and be oriented towards serious videographers and cinematographers. They might also be able to borrow some of the optical fomulas from there video cameras and put it into an EF lens package(though pretty sure highly unlikely because of sensor size differences). This would all also answer the possible rumor about Canon's "photo and video department merge or working together."

If the above did happen I would consider that "historical".

Edit: I just realized that someone else had said something similar earlier on in this thread.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 11:10:51 PM by WhoaGreen »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2011, 10:54:55 PM »

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2011, 12:13:05 AM »
Just for the record this is my guess:
My guess is Canon is going to release a hybrid video/photo camera (or at least video priority) or high resolution cinema quality camera that uses an EF mount, BUT at the same time they're going to announce a new EF mount series. One that is targeted towards video, like lenses with power zoom. I bet that USM technology, the motor used in some lenses for AF, could also be added to the zoom; it would be quick, silent and be passive if older cameras don't support it. It would be named like "EF-Z" for its power-Zoom feature and be oriented towards serious videographers and cinematographers. They might also be able to borrow some of the optical fomulas from there video cameras and put it into an EF lens package(though pretty sure highly unlikely because of sensor size differences). This would all also answer the possible rumor about Canon's "photo and video department merge or working together."

If the above did happen I would consider that "historical".

Edit: I just realized that someone else had said something similar earlier on in this thread.

Not sure, but I believe that the optical elements that move during zooming are larger, heavier, move further, and move in more complex ways than do the focusing elements.  If so, the very small and fast moving USM mechanisms might not be effective for moving the zooming elements in a large lens nor would zooming need to be done so quickly.   Power zooming just wouldn't need USM type designs.  Someone else may have better info.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2011, 12:13:05 AM »