October 21, 2014, 04:35:44 PM

Author Topic: 430 EX II vs Metz 52 AF-1  (Read 4162 times)

eyeland

• Rebel T5i
  • Daybreak broke me loose and brought me back...
    • View Profile
    • Creative Consulting & Multimedia artistry ;)
430 EX II vs Metz 52 AF-1
« on: August 27, 2013, 01:49:28 PM »
So, I am starting to get a bit into event-photography (a few low-key weddings and some conferences) and seeing as I don't think my Olympus Fl36r is safe to put on my 5D3 in terms of voltages (and also wouldn't be a good idea for various other reasons) I need a bit of advice.
I have been using the 600EX-RT on a few paid jobs, but it is a bit out of my price-range for now, and I am not sure that I really need it at all.

For now I am looking at the 430 EX II and the Metz 52 AF-1 seeing as they are priced almost identically in my region.  I understand that the Canon might give me more reliability and compatibility whereas the Metz will give me more power and functionality. Still, there are a few things I didn't manage to figure out using google, so I am looking for some who can enlighten me or even someone who has used both.
What are the key differences (apart from USB port and the other things mentioned)
Can the Metz be controlled in-camera like the Canon?
Am I right in assuming that neither model will support all Focus-points for AF-Assist?
[size=78%]Is the touch-screen on the Metz as ennoying as it looks? :)[/size]

5DIII+ML // 24-105L - 70-200 2.8L/2.8 IS II - 35/2 IS //\  AF/non-AF film bodies and lenses. (and half a darkroom in boxes:))

canon rumors FORUM

430 EX II vs Metz 52 AF-1
« on: August 27, 2013, 01:49:28 PM »

eyeland

• Rebel T5i
  • Daybreak broke me loose and brought me back...
    • View Profile
    • Creative Consulting & Multimedia artistry ;)
Re: 430 EX II vs Metz 52 AF-1
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 09:04:57 AM »
no takers? :)

5DIII+ML // 24-105L - 70-200 2.8L/2.8 IS II - 35/2 IS //\  AF/non-AF film bodies and lenses. (and half a darkroom in boxes:))

paul13walnut5

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 09:52:25 AM »
No experience of the Metz.

The Canon will absolutely:

2nd curtain synch
High speed synch
be controllable through the camera menu
will crop the zoom according to sensor size and lens
work seamlessly with E-TTL II
work on your next EOS, or the back up body you buy
give you flash modelling preview
work with your AF for assist (there are different modes to select parts of the AF pattern, not sure how it will play with your 5D3)

http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Consumer_Products/products/cameras/Speedlites/SPEEDLITE_430EX_II.aspx?type=download&page=1

From P23

Under low-light or low-contrast conditions when autofocus cannot be achieved, the built-in AF-assist beam will be emitted automatically to make it easier to autofocus. The 430EX II’s AF-assist beam is compatible with the AF points of almost all EOS cameras. The AF-assist beam is compatible with 28mm and longer lenses. The effective range is shown below.

Camerajah

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 01:02:02 PM »
I too am looking at that metz flash,metz have a super reputation re quality of light from there flashes
Canon bodies and not enough L lenses

digital paradise

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Zenon Char Photography
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 12:22:08 PM »
No experience of the Metz.

The Canon will absolutely:

2nd curtain synch
High speed synch
work on your next EOS, or the back up body you buy
give you flash modelling preview
work with your AF for assist (there are different modes to select parts of the AF pattern, not sure how it will play with your 5D3)

http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Consumer_Products/products/cameras/Speedlites/SPEEDLITE_430EX_II.aspx?type=download&page=1

From P23

Under low-light or low-contrast conditions when autofocus cannot be achieved, the built-in AF-assist beam will be emitted automatically to make it easier to autofocus. The 430EX II’s AF-assist beam is compatible with the AF points of almost all EOS cameras. The AF-assist beam is compatible with 28mm and longer lenses. The effective range is shown below.

I had a Metz 58 AF-1 and it did do the following.

2nd curtain synch
High speed synch

work on your next EOS, or the back up body you buy. For this one the Metz comes with a port for FW updates

give you flash modelling preview. Not sure about this one

work with your AF for assist (there are different modes to select parts of the AF pattern, not sure how it will play with your 5D3) AF assist worked but not sure if there were 3 patterns

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 12:22:08 PM »