July 23, 2014, 08:14:51 PM

Author Topic: Canon SL-1 as travel camera  (Read 1713 times)

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Canon SL-1 as travel camera
« on: September 02, 2013, 06:21:45 AM »
It's adventure time again. We have just booked three weeks in Laos, trekking and backpacking. This time I just didn't want to lug the 5D3 plus glass. Research pointed me towards the brilliant range of mirrorless cameras, the Olympus OMD in particular. This ran a very close second to the final choice. My shooting style needs quick response AF, and a viewfinder for me is a must. The winding road eventually led to the new, tiny 100D/SL-1. OMG this camera is TINY! APS-C sensor, viewfinder, light weight and sharp price clinched it. Plus it takes all my Canon glass. For the trip I've set it up with one of the classier EF-S lenses, the EF-S 15-85 f/3.5-5.6is.

Check it out compared to it's bulked-up siblings:
http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=canon_eosm&products=canon_eos100d&products=canon_eos7d&products=canon_eos70d&products=canon_eos700d

And there is a moral to the story. My initial SL1 was a DOA, exchanged the next day over the counter without question. It's a good argument for buying new gear well before a planned trip, and also for buying from an authorized dealer. We're not leaving for a couple of months. If I'd cheaped-out and bought gray, just a couple of days before leaving for the trip, the potential for disappointment would have been very high.

Almost a week in, I'm loving it. This new class of tiny DSLR deserves a big future. I'll remember to post some Laos shots when we get back.

-PW

canon rumors FORUM

Canon SL-1 as travel camera
« on: September 02, 2013, 06:21:45 AM »

dickgrafixstop

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Canon SL-1 as travel camera
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 07:28:39 AM »

A great little camera - and I mean little in size not performance.  Another nail in the coffin of the  "M" offering.

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 10:45:09 AM »
Agree buy long before a trip to full test your equipment.

batotman

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 01:57:56 AM »
I messed with one before I bought a T4i to back up my 6D. I really wanted the wireless commander and had the SL1 had it, I would've bought one. It's small and a fun little camera. And I have my small camera, with the EOS-M. I suppose there will be an SL2 someday and it might have the wireless commander so I'll probably end up with that eventually... ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 01:57:56 AM »