July 23, 2014, 04:55:58 AM

Author Topic: 70D and Dxomark....  (Read 58367 times)

zlatko

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zlatkobatistich.com
Re: 70D and Dxomark....
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2013, 03:04:37 AM »
I do not find it to be a problem — ever. 

Fair enough. I do not find to be a problem most of the time. But when I do, I wish it was not a problem  :), and that happens often enough to be a problem.

I know these topics get pushed on DPReview, where anonymous know-it-alls try to convince everyone that Canon cameras suck. 

Some of those "anonymous know-it-alls" are John Sheehy, Bob (bobn2) and Joe James (Great Bustard); Joe posted here a few weeks ago. They also happen to be some of the most knowledgeable people there, with a few others who share their opinion but are less active.

Sorry, I don't know those people. 

I was referring to anonymous people who can and do say whatever they want without any accountability — no one knows who they are or what, if any, photography experience they have.  Such people can dominate a forum with their purported (but unseen) expertise.  I just don't trust any anonymous person to give me a reliable opinion, let alone to instruct others about a camera's technical details.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2013, 03:04:37 AM »

zlatko

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zlatkobatistich.com
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2013, 03:10:04 AM »
It is what it is, and apparently most of the sensors are inferior to the nikon's(or sony) in almost every aspect.
Whether it is noticeable or not in real world usage is not really that relevant.

For a photographer, whether it is noticeable or not in real world usage is absolutely relevant. 

Aglet

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2013, 03:10:17 AM »
Well, as innovative as the 70D's new dual-sensel pixels for continuous AF are, the overall signal to noise ratios, as reported by DxOmark, have changed very little.  Hopefully there'll be less banding in dark shadow for those who need to push it but I thought I'd put together some animated gifs to compare the difference between the 70D and the 60D and then the 70D compared to the Nikon D5200.
I hope DxOmark will allow this editorial use of their material here.  If not, it can be removed easily enough.
I find the complete SNR graphs are more useful to see where the low ISO deep shadow SNR limits are and what the highlite end shows for difference, which combined can help indicate DR and more.  Switching between them is a useful way to quickly see the differences.

Apop

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Apophoto
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2013, 03:12:45 AM »
It is what it is, and apparently most of the sensors are inferior to the nikon's(or sony) in almost every aspect.
Whether it is noticeable or not in real world usage is not really that relevant.

For a photographer, whether it is noticeable or not in real world usage is absolutely relevant.

No it's not, because you apparently stopped reading, here is what it said.

it is what it is, and apparently most of the sensors are inferior to the nikon's(or sony) in almost every aspect.

It only matters that you are happy with the images you are getting, despite maybe not having the best equipment out there.... ///////

If your not happy you will probably try out a different camera/brand or lens(es)
I was not happy with the d800 because of the 4fps, missing too many moments, Canon had the 1dmkiv as an interesting alternative, where i felt nikon did not offer something similar, hence I am now shooting canon and more happy with the images i get. Despite them lacking the resolution, DR etc that the d800 had, and it's quite noticeable on a retina screen.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 03:16:08 AM by Apop »

Nishi Drew

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2013, 05:26:17 AM »
Looking at it from a canon users perspective (now) , I am just happy that Nikon is totally destroying canon in the sensor department , It means canon will sooner or later have to follow with better sensors.

Yeah well, sooner or later has been going on for like, how many years now? At least 4, and looking at the 70D it's hard to tell if the 7DII will be slightly above that, or leaps and bounds beyond. Since sensor technology in the global market has been improving in so many ways with a number of other manufacturers the past few years it's easy to question how much effort Canon has given. Or Canon genuinely doesn't care, as their focus is with the casual consumers whom the majority repeat what the sales rep said about their toy and are into whatever that's cool and new, like the super-amzing-hi-tech AF in the 70D, oh and that it has more megapixels, everyone loves megapixels... but if that were the winning factor then Canon still loses anyways...

insanitybeard

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2013, 05:44:56 AM »
I don't really get why canon users need to defend their far inferior sensor.....Envy?

It only matters that you are happy with the images you are getting, despite maybe not having the best equipment out there....

Looking at it from a canon users perspective (now) , I am just happy that Nikon is totally destroying canon in the sensor department , It means canon will sooner or later have to follow with better sensors.

All the time some of you spend trying to bash Nikon or defend canon, you better spend that time working so you can add a d800 with 14-24 to your kit ;)

I think a majority are not trying to 'defend' their 'inferior' sensors, many are happy to concede at the present time Nikon/Sony sensors have some superior characteristics, myself included. What I am sick of is that it keeps being shoved in our faces again and again and again like it's the only damn thing that matters.
7D / EF-S 10-22 / 17-40L / 70-200 f4L IS / EF-S 60 macro

celestyx

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2013, 05:46:01 AM »

and others are physics guys, at least one of word class level (responsible, in part, for one of the great advances in string theory)

String theory has nothing to do with camera sensors. I am also doing research in string theory, this does not make me more competent to express my opinion on dynamic range of camera sensors.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2013, 05:46:01 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2013, 06:00:22 AM »
Since sensor technology in the global market has been improving in so many ways with a number of other manufacturers the past few years it's easy to question how much effort Canon has given. Or Canon genuinely doesn't care, as their focus is with the casual consumers whom the majority repeat what the sales rep said about their toy and are into whatever that's cool and new, like the super-amzing-hi-tech AF in the 70D, oh and that it has more megapixels, everyone loves megapixels... but if that were the winning factor then Canon still loses anyways...

Define "lose".  Does it mean selling more dSLRs than the competition, having and maintaining the largest market share of the segment, or just not making 'the best' sensor?  It seems the last one has had no meaningful impact on the first two, and it's the first two that Canon cares most about - and in fact, Nikon cares most about them, too (as would any publicly held company), it's just that Nikon is "losing" where it really matters (to their shareholders, I mean, not to people who think DR is the most important thing in a camera system).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

AlanF

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2013, 06:00:52 AM »

and others are physics guys, at least one of word class level (responsible, in part, for one of the great advances in string theory)

String theory has nothing to do with camera sensors. I am also doing research in string theory, this does not make me more competent to express my opinion on dynamic range of camera sensors.

Have any of these string theory guys ever done an experiment to test the theory?
5D III, 70D, Powershot SX50, 300/2.8 II, 1.4xTC III, 2xTC III, 70-200/4 IS, 24-105, 15-85, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 150-600.

docsmith

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2013, 06:26:05 AM »
Dxo threads are the BEST read on this forum.

I know....when I see one coming...I stop reading...go pop a big bowl full of popcorn...find a bunch of Milk Duds and come back to finish reading.....

;)

sandymandy

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2013, 06:34:08 AM »
Every new body such a thread comes out. And its always the same like Canon reasults are not good. 3 years later: remember the 70D? i still own one...F______ nice cam

:o

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2013, 06:41:38 AM »
Every new body such a thread comes out.

If only that were true.  But there've already been at least 5 threads like this on the 70D, and no doubt there will be more DRivel to come...

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2013, 07:21:38 AM »
Mikael : DxOMark thread :: moth : flame

How good/fast is the AF on that Sigma 500mm.  Besides, 500mm isn't long enough for me.  Where's the Sigma 600/4?

As usual, your points lack relevance. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2013, 07:21:38 AM »

simonxu11

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2013, 07:46:30 AM »

mkabi

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2013, 08:29:32 AM »
Get whatever... do whatever...

Dont' be fooled by numbers, if you like Nikon... get it!

Just don't go around on forums complaining... friggin... you bought a camera, right?
Stop bitchin and go f-ing use it!

Its the art you create with it that matters.
No painter complains or bitches about one paint brush over another...

Yes, I'm a canon guy... I did my research... and I recently (meaning within the last 2 weeks) got myself a 7D.
I knew it had its problems in terms of low light, but didn't care.

By the way, Im more into video than photos, yet 70D didn't cut it for multiple reasons, especially the SD slot.
If you have to know, one of the main reasons I chose 7D cause ML unlocked 2.5K.
I would have gotten a 5D Mark 3 cause thats closer to 4K, but I can't afford it.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 08:31:22 AM by mkabi »
Canon 7D - EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L, EF - 20mm f/2.8, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 100mm f/2.0, Custom Cine 50mm & Custom Cine 35mm

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2013, 08:29:32 AM »