April 18, 2014, 11:01:52 PM

Author Topic: 70D and Dxomark....  (Read 44325 times)

Famateur

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: 70D and Dxomark....
« Reply #135 on: August 29, 2013, 10:11:42 PM »
Crap...I'm out of popcorn. Be right back...  ::)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #135 on: August 29, 2013, 10:11:42 PM »

MichaelHodges

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 29, 2013, 10:42:16 PM »
I know everybody has invested in lenses and accessories, so jumping ship is not practical, but here is what that 3 stop of extra DR can mean (5D3 on top, D800 on the bottom):

Is there really only one image on the internet that DR people use. This is the same image that gets posted every time D800 shadow detail is mentioned. I'm starting to think this whole issue is faked

I'm starting to believe this post is a parody.  ;)

starship

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
Re: 70D and Dxomark.... canon´s sensor not even on par with nikon´s D7000
« Reply #137 on: August 29, 2013, 10:43:26 PM »
I had been hopeful. but it looks like, that canons 70d sensor isn´t worth to be my next investment.

the new live view autofocus is pretty innovative. I appreciate, that we get back AF microadjustment und an updated AF-system.

but i´m sorry to say. the sensor-quality isn´t (at least) on par with the sony sensor of a nikon D7000. even more lagging behind nikon´s D7100. 2ev less dynamic range and 1/3ev in the high-iso area. thats remarkable, when you consider, that the sony sensor of the D7000 has been released back in 2010.

well, all in all. I won´t buy the 70d.
maybe a 7d mk2 will have a competitive sensor.

40D (2x) / 70-200 2,8 / 17-55 2,8 / sigma 18-35 1,8 / 85 1,8 /  5 ettl-flashes / yn-622 ttl-triggers ....

Chosenbydestiny

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 29, 2013, 11:02:51 PM »
Right, but you're supposed to be a photographer first and an editor second. DR doesn't help you when you're actually taking your shot, though it might give you peace of mind knowing the very basics of exposing an image is no longer relevant.

That is missing the greater point. It does help you when you are taking a shot since you need to be able to judge whether a certain shot might have too much DR for the camera to handle and whether you need to get into multiple exposures or graduated filters etc., or when that is not possible which can be the case, to realize the shot may struggle to process well.

Sure better DR can be nice when it comes to rescuing blown shots or shots where the exposure wasn't quite dead on but it is mostly about much more than that. If a scene has a lot DR it may exceed the camera's ability no matter how perfectly you expose.

It's not at all just about people who make a mess of exposure all the time simply wanting to be able to escape that. It's rather little about that.

I think that's still nit picking it, and that it's relative. Shouldn't we be using our own eyes to judge whether a shot can be handled by our gear or not? I'm not by any means a landscape shooter by profession but I do shoot landscape with a set of filters from time to time. I never looked at a scene thinking I couldn't take it because it might look worse when zoomed in, or if I'd have a hard time in post. I suppose if you market your work towards other photographers it might be a bigger deal, but certainly not in the real world.
Nikon electric fan, gas stove, and slippers. Canon Elan 7, 1D Mark III, 2x5D mark III, and 6D. Canon 24L, 85L, 135L, and many other lenses. 2x Canon 580ex II, third party speedlites, studio strobes

Chosenbydestiny

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 29, 2013, 11:04:41 PM »
I had been hopeful. but it looks like, that canons 70d sensor isn´t worth to be my next investment.

the new live view autofocus is pretty innovative. I appreciate, that we get back AF microadjustment und an updated AF-system.

but i´m sorry to say. the sensor-quality isn´t (at least) on par with the sony sensor of a nikon D7000. even more lagging behind nikon´s D7100. 2ev less dynamic range and 1/3ev in the high-iso area. thats remarkable, when you consider, that the sony sensor of the D7000 has been released back in 2010.

And you didn't buy a Nikon because...
Nikon electric fan, gas stove, and slippers. Canon Elan 7, 1D Mark III, 2x5D mark III, and 6D. Canon 24L, 85L, 135L, and many other lenses. 2x Canon 580ex II, third party speedlites, studio strobes

starship

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 29, 2013, 11:18:54 PM »

And you didn't buy a Nikon because...

well, because I have tons of canon related stuff.

but a few weeks ago I DID recommend a friend of mine to buy nikon instead of canon. that´s what i had to do. nikon has been simply far better in sensor-quality over the last years. i hope this will change.
40D (2x) / 70-200 2,8 / 17-55 2,8 / sigma 18-35 1,8 / 85 1,8 /  5 ettl-flashes / yn-622 ttl-triggers ....

garyknrd

• Rebel T5i
  • Birding
    • View Profile
    • Bird photography
« Reply #141 on: August 29, 2013, 11:23:53 PM »
I fight with DR daily shooting in the jungle here. Older I want a crop camera with better spec's. I don't want to carry around a 600-800 mm lens just so I can use a FF. Physically not possible for me at this point. With  the 1D IV it puts me on a more equal playing field,  with the FF users and the 600-800 mm lenses. Not equal but close. The IDX is just the most accurate camera I have ever seen for colors and AF. So I will surely go with the 1DX at some point.

It is clear that Canon is investing in other areas. As I see it. I also have the Sigma 500mm f4.5 lens, and it is a verrrry good lens. Not a Canon II replacement, but I will definitely buy the next Crop semi pro body from Pentax to use with it. Sigma is sharp, very pleasant to use and just all around a good lens. Canon 500 II is the clear winner. Now!

If Pentax EVER puts out a good semi-pro body I will run some tests and real world use. Without being brand loyal at all. I personally am looking forward to Sigma producing a good super telephoto line with interchangeable mount. For me I will be all over that.
As a birder I don't shoot BIF much and AF accuracy is the most important thing for me at this point. So AFS is my most used AF mode. And the other camera manufacturers that use the most recent sensors will be good enough for me.
So the 70D is dead in the water for me. Others will love it for the video no doubt. But sensor technology and AF is my main concern at this point.
Live between Thailand and Texas, USA

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #141 on: August 29, 2013, 11:23:53 PM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 29, 2013, 11:34:24 PM »
Wow! I am new to this forum and I have two comments.
1. You all have way too much time on your hands. If you need something to do, I have lots of projects that need getting done.  ;)
2. I am surprised to see Nixon users on a Canon forum. What's with that? Shouldn't you be on a Nixon forum or something?
This thread has really turned me off to this forum. :(

Oh those pesky "Nixon" users and their DiRty politics! Boo!

;D

Some of the 'Nikon' users posting here have used Canon since 1987 and some since before that.  :P Just because you don't say every Canon piece of equipment is not the best every made by anyone in every single respect does not mean you are a Nikon user.

LetTheRightLensIn

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 29, 2013, 11:35:44 PM »

I've just added my web site as my signature.  Did not intend to be anonymous.

OK, well fair enough on that point then.

tnargs

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 29, 2013, 11:38:47 PM »
but a few weeks ago I DID recommend a friend of mine to buy nikon instead of canon. that´s what i had to do. nikon has been simply far better in sensor-quality over the last years. i hope this will change.

Did your friend want to buy a sensor, or a camera?

Nothing wrong with owning a Sony-based Nikon, though. This year. Trouble is, if he stocks up on Nikon lenses etc, and next years Canon is the best sensor, you're going to wish you'd thought about one or two other factors that come into it.

Let's hope your friend doesn't buy a Nikon and then get a bit excited about video, then come back to you saying "damn this video focusing is crap!"  ::)

starship

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 29, 2013, 11:56:23 PM »

Did your friend want to buy a sensor, or a camera?

Nothing wrong with owning a Sony-based Nikon, though. This year. Trouble is, if he stocks up on Nikon lenses etc, and next years Canon is the best sensor, you're going to wish you'd thought about one or two other factors that come into it.

Let's hope your friend doesn't buy a Nikon and then get a bit excited about video, then come back to you saying "damn this video focusing is crap!"  ::)

she wanted a good camera. for photographie. she wanted to buy it now. therefore i recommended a nikon. canon and nikon cams are both capable systems. but sensor quality is picture quality (some people even buy full-frame because of that). if she will really gets into video in 2 years, i can live with that.

dilbert

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 29, 2013, 11:59:31 PM »
This year. Trouble is, if he stocks up on Nikon lenses etc, and next years Canon is the best sensor, you're going to wish you'd thought about one or two other factors that come into it.

Well there are a few Sigma lenses that if he bought would be relatively cheap to convert from Nikon to Canon.

But people have been saying "What if the next Canon sensor is better" now for how many years?

And what has Canon delivered? Well, the 70D's sensor is marginally better than the 7D.

Famateur

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 30, 2013, 12:15:13 AM »
Just thought I'd point out that we're at 11 pages of yet another Nikon/Sony vs. Canon sensor debate regarding...the 70D! It's a mid-level amateur/enthusiast DLSR for heaven's sake!!!

If you really need dynamic range that badly, you should be making enough money from your photography to buy professional level gear. If you're at that level, and you have that kind of gear, then what in the world are you doing wasting time spouting on an internet forum about cameras you'll never use? Just a pissing match? Go shoot some photos already!

Crap...I got popcorn butter on my keyboard...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #147 on: August 30, 2013, 12:15:13 AM »

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #148 on: August 30, 2013, 12:32:03 AM »
Just thought I'd point out that we're at 11 pages of yet another Nikon/Sony vs. Canon sensor debate regarding...the 70D! It's a mid-level amateur/enthusiast DLSR for heaven's sake!!!

If you really need dynamic range that badly, you should be making enough money from your photography to buy professional level gear.

Sadly, the 1DX has worse DR at base ISO than the ancient D90.

I would say, if you need DR badly, buy anything but Canon.

Famateur

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 30, 2013, 12:47:06 AM »

If you really need dynamic range that badly, you should be making enough money from your photography to buy professional level gear.

Sadly, the 1DX has worse DR at base ISO than the ancient D90.

I would say, if you need DR badly, buy anything but Canon.

Yeah...'cause there are so many people complaining that the 1DX is just holding them back with their photography.  ::)

Buy anything but Canon because a D90 is better than a 1DX? I nearly bucksnorted my soda and spilled my popcorn all over my laptop! If this isn't proof that the DR debate is ridiculous, I don't know what is...LOL.

Do DR zealots really expect to convince people that are happy with the results from their Canon cameras to suddenly agree with them? Or suddenly awaken to the fact that the photos they've enjoyed or even sold to pleased clients are actually inferior garbage because there's a better sensor out there? C'mon. Life is too short.

Sure, everyone would appreciate a leap forward in DR and high ISO noise, but there's a whole beautiful world of photographs that's flourishing just fine in the meantime.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 01:00:06 AM by Famateur »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #149 on: August 30, 2013, 12:47:06 AM »