November 24, 2017, 01:47:41 PM

Author Topic: 70D and Dxomark....  (Read 185612 times)

Sporgon

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
Re: 70D and Dxomark....
« Reply #390 on: September 02, 2013, 11:16:00 AM »
The jpeg is 60 meg but I will see what I can do.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #390 on: September 02, 2013, 11:16:00 AM »

Don Haines

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
« Reply #391 on: September 02, 2013, 01:02:31 PM »

That's a BIG cat! :)
The best camera is the one in your hands

Murilo_mms

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #392 on: September 02, 2013, 01:04:37 PM »
We only need the Nikon´s DR if we need to use +3 to +5 of exposure compensation on revelation of Raw files. And if someone are doing that is better learn how to use his camera...

Welcome to CR :-) and one remark here: After countless Nikon d800 vs 5d3 threads here I'd say that general opinion is that there are valid applications for more dynamic range at low iso, namely at least situations in high contrast when you cannot use bracketing for various reasons... meaning I hoped we're beyond "learn to use a camera" flamewars here :-o
Thanks and I do agree. We can not generalize that bigger DR on Nikon is useless because it is, for someone. For me, it is a thing that do not make difference.

Don´t get me wrong, I love Nikon and I loved all my cameras from Nikon. For me the best brand would be CanKon 8), because I do miss a lot of things that my previous Nikon cameras had.

My point was: We need to read DxOMark tests with careful.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 01:07:13 PM by Murilo_mms »
Canon 5DMKIII // 50mm 1.2L // 135mm 2L // 300mm 4L IS // 24-105mm 4L IS // 600 EX-RT // Sony RX-100 III

https://www.flickr.com/photos/murilomms/

qwerty

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #393 on: September 02, 2013, 01:04:45 PM »
I might even go and...(gasp)...take a photo or two, and...(gasp)...enjoy it! :D
I tried that, but the fact that I have only 11 stops of DR just sucked the joy right out of it.  ::)
I usually drive to the coast here which tends to be foggy. Even a Canon can handle that reduced DR. You should try it one day

So, you're saying I shouldn't have tried to take a picture from inside a pitch black tunnel and capture the graffiti sprayed on the black walls with black paint and in the same shot capture the kids' white chalk drawings on the white sidewalk in full sun just outside the tunnel?  Was that where I went wrong?  I bet a D7100 could have done it, though, right?  Sadly, I'm stuck with this PoS, poor dynamic range 1D X. As the actor-turned-Mayor-of-Carmel once said, "A man's got to know his limitations."

A man's limitations should be his limitations, not his equipment's; it's a poor craftsman who has poor tools.  You need a camera that can capture all of the detail in the scene.  One crucial aspect you left out of your scenario is the sun itself -- you absolutely have to have the option of having it in the scene without blowing any highlights. (If you can't see how many sunspots there are, you either have blown highlights, not enough resolution, or too little DOF.)  I think the EV for the face of the sun is in the low 30s, so a 40+ stop sensor is what you should be looking for.   The 7100 won't do that, but I hear Canon will come out with something that beats SoNykon's sensors soon (and for a much lower price than their current lineup).  You should not take any pictures until you get that camera.  Anyone shooting with a current Canon or Nikon camera is just wasting their time.

Seriously though; if we all pitch in, we can get this to be a 100 page thread with no additional content.

(Yeah, I know there is actually useful content in this thread; however the DR stuff adds a lot of noise.)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 01:10:52 PM by qwerty »

zlatko

• EOS 5D Mark IV
    • http://www.zlatkobatistich.com
« Reply #394 on: September 02, 2013, 01:18:53 PM »
The discussion of sensor performance vs DxOMark is pointless. I was a Nikon user (D5000, D90, D700, D3s and D4) and now I own 5DIII and never been so satisfied. The colors I get now are far better than before and I have now much less work with raw files.

It is interesting how real world experience can change our beliefs.  The DxO experts have everyone believing that Nikon produces better color.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #395 on: September 02, 2013, 01:25:12 PM »
however the DR stuff adds a lot of noise.

And (read) noise subtracts from DR.  Maybe we can spend 2-3 more pages on circular logic, including jokes about circular logic (why is Lt. Cmdr. Data still in the shower?)...   Oh, and more cat photos. Every thread needs more cat photos.
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

Sporgon

« Reply #396 on: September 02, 2013, 01:53:48 PM »
Is ownership of a certain type of cat compulsory on CR ?

And does circular logic have anything to do with pi ?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #396 on: September 02, 2013, 01:53:48 PM »

hutjeflut

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #397 on: September 02, 2013, 01:58:17 PM »
But this time they not only slightly improved the sensor they also added other stuff thats quite welcome like
-a better 19 point all cross focus system from the 7D
a BETTER AF? by removing 2 functions (spot and expansion)? bollocks. who stated that 70D has a better AF and than a 7D?

You clearly misread.
I said better focus system FROM the 7d not better then the 60d :)

and im fairly sure it still has spot focussing.

in this movie a canon employee sais its the same focus system as the 7d: Canon EOS 70D vs 60D Camera: Canon Comparison Video

edit: aperently im confused between spot and single poing gotta look up the difference there hehe.
i always shoot single point so thought that was the same as spot and expansion doesnt seem that usefull to me but sports photographers might think different.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 02:11:27 PM by hutjeflut »

Marsu42

• Canon Pride.
    • Der Tierfotograf
« Reply #398 on: September 02, 2013, 02:06:18 PM »
Don´t get me wrong, I love Nikon and I loved all my cameras from Nikon. For me the best brand would be CanKon 8), because I do miss a lot of things that my previous Nikon cameras had.

Really - what's that? It would be interesting because the Magic Lantern people are always interested in ideas on how to enhance the Canon firmware, but unfortunately most people lack knowledge of both systems (you do know Magic Lantern, right)?

Sporgon

« Reply #399 on: September 02, 2013, 02:21:40 PM »

That's a BIG cat! :)

ooops ! Yes she's a big cat, but not that big !

Bring on the mega pixel camera. I think a zero got in there somehow. :-[

Don Haines

• posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
« Reply #400 on: September 02, 2013, 02:27:08 PM »
Is ownership of a certain type of cat compulsory on CR ?

And does circular logic have anything to do with pi ?
Must be a Nikon cat..... The fur has a lot more dynamic range than the fur on my cat.....
The best camera is the one in your hands

Sporgon

« Reply #401 on: September 02, 2013, 03:36:41 PM »
Shot this on jpeg, and is straight off the camera, in mid day sun. Even from jpeg I can bring the soil in the flower pot up four or five stops with no noise what so ever, but then of course despite this being of a white cat in the mid day sun the total EV range from highlight to deepest shadow is only around 6 stops, and that is accommodating for the intense reflection from the white fur.

The intense reflection is blown, actually.

You haven't down loaded the compress file from CR and try to read the highlights have you ?

Another faux pas ?

Yes, stop doing them.

I downloaded what you posted. There is a blown spot on the forehead of the cat. It does not matter what the RGB values are. They depend on the processing.

Why don't you post the JPEG from the camera before you start blaming it on  the CR compression? That will answer the question.

Well seeing as this thread has gravitated right down to rock bottom with pictures of cats, I'll put my family snap of the cat up for Pi. I've posted the original picture again: the one I used was the 6x4" image for printing which is straight off camera as jpeg but has been re sized and a contrast enhancing un-sharp mask which is what I do with all snap shots for printing.

The second and third are crops for the full jpeg, from camera, They will look dull on the web as I have left them in Adobe RGB.

I consider this perfect exposure for the scene considering it was shot as a joey with no intention to pp.

(Just a point; if anyone is wondering why the flower pot is blurred it's because this picture was shot with my daughter's new "art" series lens, the 70-300 non L which is sharp in the very middle and soft focus everywhere else.)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 03:41:38 PM by Sporgon »

Pi

• EOS 5DS R
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #402 on: September 02, 2013, 03:58:02 PM »
Still blown, sorry. It would not have been bad if it was not on the face.

Now, tell me, how a DR expert like you, in a supposedly 6 stop DR scene with an 11 stop DR camera, can blow the highlights, and brag about it?

You do not need a Nikon for that, you just needed to expose lower, or shoot in RAW.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #402 on: September 02, 2013, 03:58:02 PM »

aj1575

• EOS M5
« Reply #403 on: September 02, 2013, 04:23:57 PM »
I made an interesting table to compare IQ of different cameras (the EOS 70D is also part of it). If you like to check it out, I started a new thread here:http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=16749.msg309137#msg309137

zlatko

• EOS 5D Mark IV
    • http://www.zlatkobatistich.com
« Reply #404 on: September 02, 2013, 07:40:10 PM »
The discussion of sensor performance vs DxOMark is pointless. I was a Nikon user (D5000, D90, D700, D3s and D4) and now I own 5DIII and never been so satisfied. The colors I get now are far better than before and I have now much less work with raw files.

It is interesting how real world experience can change our beliefs.  The DxO experts have everyone believing that Nikon produces better color.

its interesting how people can make a statement like this
no mention of  color profiles, contrast curves  etc
Yes Nikon has the advantage of a better color filters CFA, you just have to take advantage of that
I call this knowledge
if you like nice colors from beginning and strait out from the camera  and  for your eye pleasure , buy a compact camera
they are optimized regarding contrast curves and color fidelity and s-rgb
I'm surprised  that so many  member show  so  much ignorance regarding SLR cameras , color handling and what the out come are for

In other words, Nikon color requires more fixing than Canon color.  That's what "taking advantage" of that "Nikon advantage" really means in practice.  Murilo_mms shot with a series of Nikon cameras, including two of their best & most expensive, and then he bought a Canon 5D3 (not even Canon's best / most expensive) and the colors are "far better than before and I have now much less work with raw files."  Smart photographers know when a camera maker makes their work better & easier — that's not ignorance.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #404 on: September 02, 2013, 07:40:10 PM »