May 24, 2015, 05:57:22 PM

Author Topic: 600EX-RT + 580EX II Questions  (Read 7373 times)

winglet

• PowerShot G1 X II
Re: 600EX-RT + 580EX II Questions
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2013, 07:43:08 AM »

Sure it does. because the RT3 is so inadequate and crippled you might as well get the 600RT.

Hmmm. A ST-RT-E3 does every function of a 600EX-RT except flash, which is not really its function as a remote, so I'm not sure how it could be called "crippled"!  ;D

While I can appreciate the occasional need to put the remote on a cord to see it, I've never had it be an issue, but then I mainly shoot hand-held. So a quick tweak of a light or a group is no problem. The beauty of the design is that it operates exactly the same as the back of a 600EX-RT so switching back and forth is effortless. I find it quite "adequate"!

Anyway I think the OP understands the limitations and benefits of the flash vs. the trigger. If I only had the one flash, I'd definitely get a second flash over the trigger. But when you have 2 or more 600EX-RT's, the trigger really starts to shine and a big flash in the hotshoe is overkill.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 07:45:26 AM by winglet »
Canon 1DX, 5DII | 50 f/1.2 | 85 f/1.2II | 100 f/2.8 Macro | 135 f/2 | 16-35 f/2.8 | 24-70 f/2.8II | 70-200 f/2.8II | 200-400 f/4 1.4X | 8-15 f/4 Fisheye | 24 f/3.5TS | 4X 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT | Fuji X100s

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2013, 07:43:08 AM »

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2013, 08:55:25 AM »

Sure it does. because the RT3 is so inadequate and crippled you might as well get the 600RT.

Hmmm. A ST-RT-E3 does every function of a 600EX-RT except flash, which is not really its function as a remote, so I'm not sure how it could be called "crippled"!  ;D

While I can appreciate the occasional need to put the remote on a cord to see it, I've never had it be an issue, but then I mainly shoot hand-held. So a quick tweak of a light or a group is no problem. The beauty of the design is that it operates exactly the same as the back of a 600EX-RT so switching back and forth is effortless. I find it quite "adequate"!

Anyway I think the OP understands the limitations and benefits of the flash vs. the trigger. If I only had the one flash, I'd definitely get a second flash over the trigger. But when you have 2 or more 600EX-RT's, the trigger really starts to shine and a big flash in the hotshoe is overkill.

How about no AF assist beam, no tilting screen (which it should have) and the price tag that you could use to buy a refurbed 600RT? I disagree, canon crippled this one for the obvious reasons and I own 5x 600RTs.  ::)

Janbo Makimbo

• EOS M2
  • 6D
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2013, 09:06:18 AM »
Many of the top Pros use the st-e3, i find that it gets the job done and to be honest I don't miss the focussing beam.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2013, 09:13:48 AM »
Many of the top Pros use the st-e3, i find that it gets the job done and to be honest I don't miss the focussing beam.

Ditto.  It's like saying the 70-200mm f/4L IS is a crippled lens because it's only f/4, and not f/2.8. 

When shooting in a studio setting, I've got soft light where I want it, and that's usually off axis.  I have no need for an on-axis light, no need for AF assist, but having something on top of the camera that can control my other flashes and is less than 1/4 the weight of the 600EX-RT is a win for ease of use. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Janbo Makimbo

• EOS M2
  • 6D
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2013, 09:23:11 AM »
And if the screen of the st-e3 is at an akward angle for a particular shot, then all of its functions can be controlled from the flash menu on the camera including group modes!

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2013, 10:04:33 AM »
I have a love hate relationship with the ST-E3-RT, though I wouldn't be without it and I use it far more often than another 600 EX-RT as in hot shoe controller.

I don't mind that it doesn't have an AF assist beam, like Neuro says, Canon didn't exactly defraud us in the specs so you know that before you buy it, but I do find the screen angle an issue on many occasions and I find the in camera flash menu clunky by comparison.

I have a set of designs/ideas for hotshoe extenders that vastly increase the hotshoe functionality, I just need a way forward with it, maybe I should start a crowd sourced project!
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2013, 10:07:17 AM »
And if the screen of the st-e3 is at an akward angle for a particular shot, then all of its functions can be controlled from the flash menu on the camera including group modes!

I wasn't aware that full control of group flash was possible with the camera menu.  I know three groups (A/B/C) can be controlled with ratios, but using the ST-E3-RT (or 600EX-RT as master) menus, it's possible to control five groups (A/B/C/D/E), and to have different modes for each group (E-TTL vs. manual).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2013, 10:07:17 AM »

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2013, 10:48:09 AM »

I wasn't aware that full control of group flash was possible with the camera menu.  I know three groups (A/B/C) can be controlled with ratios, but using the ST-E3-RT (or 600EX-RT as master) menus, it's possible to control five groups (A/B/C/D/E), and to have different modes for each group (E-TTL vs. manual).
That was one of the reasons I got an EOS-M, so I could play with the full RT functionality through the camera menu, just to keep up with the system until I get post 2012 DSLR bodies. I still don't like the camera menu system as much as the ST-E3-RT though.
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

Janbo Makimbo

• EOS M2
  • 6D
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2013, 04:52:13 PM »

[/quote]

Check out this page an look at it camera menu pics, this works with the ST-E3 mounted, no need to tilt the camera.... Only works on Canon models from 2012 onwards!

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/technical/speedlite_flash_system_for_eos.do

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2013, 06:33:23 PM »

Check out this page an look at it camera menu pics, this works with the ST-E3 mounted, no need to tilt the camera.... Only works on Canon models from 2012 onwards!

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/technical/speedlite_flash_system_for_eos.do

Thanks! Having only three flashes and not yet having needed more than ratio control, I hadn't found them.  With your info, I went looking in the menus - and there were the settings for 5 groups, mixed modes, etc.

Janbo Makimbo

• EOS M2
  • 6D
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2013, 07:16:16 PM »
You are welcome, it sure takes away the need to always use the ST-E£ screen if it is at an akward angle.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2013, 07:16:16 PM »