August 30, 2014, 08:47:11 AM

Author Topic: 600EX-RT + 580EX II Questions  (Read 4819 times)

winglet

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: 600EX-RT + 580EX II Questions
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2013, 07:43:08 AM »

Sure it does. because the RT3 is so inadequate and crippled you might as well get the 600RT.

Hmmm. A ST-RT-E3 does every function of a 600EX-RT except flash, which is not really its function as a remote, so I'm not sure how it could be called "crippled"!  ;D

While I can appreciate the occasional need to put the remote on a cord to see it, I've never had it be an issue, but then I mainly shoot hand-held. So a quick tweak of a light or a group is no problem. The beauty of the design is that it operates exactly the same as the back of a 600EX-RT so switching back and forth is effortless. I find it quite "adequate"!

Anyway I think the OP understands the limitations and benefits of the flash vs. the trigger. If I only had the one flash, I'd definitely get a second flash over the trigger. But when you have 2 or more 600EX-RT's, the trigger really starts to shine and a big flash in the hotshoe is overkill.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 07:45:26 AM by winglet »
Canon 1DX, 5DII | 50 f/1.2 | 85 f/1.2II | 100 f/2.8 Macro | 135 f/2 | 16-35 f/2.8 | 24-70 f/2.8II | 70-200 f/2.8II | 200-400 f/4 1.4X | 8-15 f/4 Fisheye | 24 f/3.5TS | 4X 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT | Fuji X100s

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2013, 07:43:08 AM »

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2013, 08:55:25 AM »

Sure it does. because the RT3 is so inadequate and crippled you might as well get the 600RT.

Hmmm. A ST-RT-E3 does every function of a 600EX-RT except flash, which is not really its function as a remote, so I'm not sure how it could be called "crippled"!  ;D

While I can appreciate the occasional need to put the remote on a cord to see it, I've never had it be an issue, but then I mainly shoot hand-held. So a quick tweak of a light or a group is no problem. The beauty of the design is that it operates exactly the same as the back of a 600EX-RT so switching back and forth is effortless. I find it quite "adequate"!

Anyway I think the OP understands the limitations and benefits of the flash vs. the trigger. If I only had the one flash, I'd definitely get a second flash over the trigger. But when you have 2 or more 600EX-RT's, the trigger really starts to shine and a big flash in the hotshoe is overkill.

How about no AF assist beam, no tilting screen (which it should have) and the price tag that you could use to buy a refurbed 600RT? I disagree, canon crippled this one for the obvious reasons and I own 5x 600RTs.  ::)

Janbo Makimbo

• EOS M2
  • 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2013, 09:06:18 AM »
Many of the top Pros use the st-e3, i find that it gets the job done and to be honest I don't miss the focussing beam.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2013, 09:13:48 AM »
Many of the top Pros use the st-e3, i find that it gets the job done and to be honest I don't miss the focussing beam.

Ditto.  It's like saying the 70-200mm f/4L IS is a crippled lens because it's only f/4, and not f/2.8. 

When shooting in a studio setting, I've got soft light where I want it, and that's usually off axis.  I have no need for an on-axis light, no need for AF assist, but having something on top of the camera that can control my other flashes and is less than 1/4 the weight of the 600EX-RT is a win for ease of use. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Janbo Makimbo

• EOS M2
  • 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2013, 09:23:11 AM »
And if the screen of the st-e3 is at an akward angle for a particular shot, then all of its functions can be controlled from the flash menu on the camera including group modes!

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2013, 10:04:33 AM »
I have a love hate relationship with the ST-E3-RT, though I wouldn't be without it and I use it far more often than another 600 EX-RT as in hot shoe controller.

I don't mind that it doesn't have an AF assist beam, like Neuro says, Canon didn't exactly defraud us in the specs so you know that before you buy it, but I do find the screen angle an issue on many occasions and I find the in camera flash menu clunky by comparison.

I have a set of designs/ideas for hotshoe extenders that vastly increase the hotshoe functionality, I just need a way forward with it, maybe I should start a crowd sourced project!
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2013, 10:07:17 AM »
And if the screen of the st-e3 is at an akward angle for a particular shot, then all of its functions can be controlled from the flash menu on the camera including group modes!

I wasn't aware that full control of group flash was possible with the camera menu.  I know three groups (A/B/C) can be controlled with ratios, but using the ST-E3-RT (or 600EX-RT as master) menus, it's possible to control five groups (A/B/C/D/E), and to have different modes for each group (E-TTL vs. manual).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2013, 10:07:17 AM »

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2013, 10:48:09 AM »

I wasn't aware that full control of group flash was possible with the camera menu.  I know three groups (A/B/C) can be controlled with ratios, but using the ST-E3-RT (or 600EX-RT as master) menus, it's possible to control five groups (A/B/C/D/E), and to have different modes for each group (E-TTL vs. manual).
That was one of the reasons I got an EOS-M, so I could play with the full RT functionality through the camera menu, just to keep up with the system until I get post 2012 DSLR bodies. I still don't like the camera menu system as much as the ST-E3-RT though.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

Janbo Makimbo

• EOS M2
  • 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2013, 04:52:13 PM »

[/quote]

Check out this page an look at it camera menu pics, this works with the ST-E3 mounted, no need to tilt the camera.... Only works on Canon models from 2012 onwards!

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/technical/speedlite_flash_system_for_eos.do

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2013, 06:33:23 PM »

Check out this page an look at it camera menu pics, this works with the ST-E3 mounted, no need to tilt the camera.... Only works on Canon models from 2012 onwards!

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/technical/speedlite_flash_system_for_eos.do

Thanks! Having only three flashes and not yet having needed more than ratio control, I hadn't found them.  With your info, I went looking in the menus - and there were the settings for 5 groups, mixed modes, etc.

Janbo Makimbo

• EOS M2
  • 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2013, 07:16:16 PM »
You are welcome, it sure takes away the need to always use the ST-E£ screen if it is at an akward angle.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2013, 07:16:16 PM »