Author Topic: 6d  (Read 10931 times)

Sporgon

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
Re: 6d
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2013, 05:39:55 AM »

Barring the above, I feel Canon should at least update the firmware or whatever runs the autofocus sensor/system's processing...to make it "handoff" to the center point, when all points are active...

Valid point, and IMO a programming error. It's obvious to use the 'set' button to return to centre point yet it cannot be assigned to this function in the custom menu.

Using the set button in this way would be the same as pressing in the toggle on the 5D.

Can we have suggestions on the best way to communicate this proposal to Canon ?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2013, 05:39:55 AM »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ... on superhero vacation!
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2013, 05:44:01 AM »
Have to wait for buffer to clear after about 15 shots in rapid succession.

You're using the fastest sd card available like Sandisk Extreme Pro?

Very slow to focus with 100mm L macro (dunno if that's just me).

Slow in comparison to what - do you have another body to compare? The 100L's af is very slow, it's a macro lens after all.

Battery runs out overnight if you forget to turn GPS off.

Rejoice, Magic Lantern probably will add a feature to auto-turn gps off an on :-)

dgatwood

• 1D Mark IV
  • 300D, 400D, 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2013, 01:08:42 PM »
I'm using a battery grip with two batteries, and I change them out every couple of weeks of light shooting.

Well that's the difference, then. When I spend all day making photographs and put the camera away with GPS on, the single battery is dead the next day. Yes, it's happened more than once. Yes, it's my own fault.

Even on days where I've shot hundreds of pictures, it still doesn't drain overnight.  If the battery is down far enough for it to drain overnight, it would be showing the empty battery on the viewfinder the night before.  If yours is discharging much faster than that, first turn off the track log if you have it turned on.  If that doesn't fix the problem, try a different battery.  I did have the behavior you describe once when using a so-called "high capacity" third-party battery.

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2013, 01:37:21 PM »

Barring the above, I feel Canon should at least update the firmware or whatever runs the autofocus sensor/system's processing...to make it "handoff" to the center point, when all points are active...

Valid point, and IMO a programming error. It's obvious to use the 'set' button to return to centre point yet it cannot be assigned to this function in the custom menu.

Using the set button in this way would be the same as pressing in the toggle on the 5D.

Can we have suggestions on the best way to communicate this proposal to Canon ?

Very much appreciate you recognizing my point! 

Jim O

• EOS M2
  • Driving the short bus
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2013, 09:08:57 AM »
Search my comments on the 6D.  I feel I have covered it pretty well, as has of course Dustin (many of my comments are in his thread, but there are quite a few other threads).  I've compared and edited the 6D's files with the 5D3's and the 1DX's...and have over 8000 cycles on my 6D. 

Basically there are people on here who seem to feel the need to bash the 6D because it's not the 5D3, hence the 5D3 is what they bought.  So to them, if you use a 6D, you aren't as serious a photographer as they are, no matter what type of photography you do.  They aren't hard to spot.

It's not so much that the 6D needs "more" autofocus points...it's that they should all be "cross type".  Honestly an AF sensor similar or identical to the 7D's would have been nice.  But that would have put the price, and especially the performance...too close to the 5D3...and thus would create a competing product line...which was never going to happen. 

Barring the above, I feel Canon should at least update the firmware or whatever runs the autofocus sensor/system's processing...to make it "handoff" to the center point, when all points are active...rather than avoid it...since the center point is the only really good point.  (This is the nature of the problem mine has when I attempt to make its servo tracking **** up.)  But it's something I am happy to live with though, because I know how to make the system work perfectly fine (by leaving only center point active while in servo mode).

Then there's supposedly an issue with its color, or white balance, or color gamut...or whatever...to me this seems more like a trumped-up nitpicking session by those who are prejudiced against the 6D.  The color is fantastic, period.  The luminance noise at the pixel level is world class, especially above ISO 1000.

As for the weather sealing, there is some, but not much.  The 6D is not technically "splash proof".  I suppose it's also less impervious to dust...but if you're shooting in a very dusty environment...dust will find its way into everything even on the best sealed cameras.  What makes me cringe the most about dust, is when it gets inside and in between the lens elements.  There's no cleaning that without disassembly, usually by a Canon tech. 

In my opinion, if you value "low-noise-at-medium-high-ISO" image quality and are price-conscious...the 6D is a no-brainer.  But if you don't mind a slightly larger/heavier body...if you need loads of speed (comparatively) and all the bells and whistles, and are happy to throw down the 50% price premium...and don't mind the large luminance noise grain structure in the images above ISO 1000...and/or if you mostly need to shoot a lot of video, especially ML hacked RAW video...then the 5D3 is the no-brainer.  For many, buying both cameras has also worked out well.

This is a fair assessment. When it came time for me to upgrade, I compared the features and the feel in my hand and went for the 6D. I was not, and am not, disappointed. It works more than well for what I do 95% of the time.

I just recently acquired a 5D3 as a gift from a family member. Yes, I am extremely fortunate. I still love my 6D. I rarely use shutter speeds > 1/4000th, though I have sometimes in the past. A neutral density filter fixes that. I don't shoot video. I occasionally shoot birds and airplanes, but only occasionally. I can do that with the 6D but probably will do it better with the 5D3 and have more keepers. I also don't shoot in a monsoon, though I doubt the 5D3 would hold up that well either. For that you'd need a 1D X and a weather sealed lens.

I'm hoping that Canon comes up with a firmware upgrade to fix the tracking issue, though leaving only the center point active works ok.

The controls are a mixed bag. The "Play" button on the 6D is easy to find with your shooting thumb. It's mixed in with three other buttons on the left side of the LCD on the 5D3. There are some other pros and cons of each.

I'm going to keep both and I suspect I will use both. For what I do, I would not have bought a 5D3 though having it is nice. I had kept a 60D to as a backup/second body for the few weddings and events I do each year. That's now going to eBay.

For my forays into the nightlife, I'll carry my 6D.
When people see you arguing with an idiot on the internet, all they see is two idiots arguing.

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2013, 03:14:23 PM »
thanks again everyone, very useful comments, and some beautiful images in the referenced threads

thgmuffin

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2013, 03:26:26 AM »
Center AF point is completely fine for sports shooting.  :P

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2013, 03:26:26 AM »

ATC

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2013, 08:56:03 AM »

Limited example, but my single battery was not drained after 3 days/2nights with the GPS turned on this week. Track log was on also.
SL1 - 18-55   40D - Tamron 18-270PZD   6D - 24-105, 50 1.4, 70-300,  EX430 II

wellfedCanuck

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2013, 10:20:38 AM »

Limited example, but my single battery was not drained after 3 days/2nights with the GPS turned on this week. Track log was on also.
What was the position update timing?
Don't take my advice. Don't even take my advice not to take my advice.

Mort

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
    • Trey Mortensen Photography
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2013, 12:15:38 PM »
Just adding my 2 cents into this thread. I am a college student and therefore have a lot less money in the pot. So I had been wanting to upgrade for some time now and some very good friends let me borrow a 6D and a 70-200. After shooting an entire wedding, I felt completely confident that I did not need the 5DIII. Yes a couple of instances would be nice, but I found the super sensitive center point very helpful in the low-light conditions of the reception hall. Plus being able to use ISO 800 and 1600 without a single worry was nice. So I decided to buy a 6D and got it yesterday. I haven't been able to play too much with it, but I have already pushed the low-light during the wedding. I also used the extra $1000 to buy a Tamron 24-70 VC although the first copy was super soft and am in the process of exchanging for a second.

So overall, I felt the advantages of the 5DIII didn't outweigh the cost benefit of getting a new lens and a new body for the same price as the 5DIII body only.
6D, T2i, Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 VC, Rokinon 14mm 2.8, Tokina 100mm 2.8, 50mm 1.8 II,28-135mm 3.5-5.6 IS. G.A.S. has begun....

ATC

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2013, 07:09:37 PM »

What was the position update timing?

10 seconds
SL1 - 18-55   40D - Tamron 18-270PZD   6D - 24-105, 50 1.4, 70-300,  EX430 II

Badger

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2013, 08:02:23 PM »
I decided to buy the 6D and the 24-105L instead of just a 5D III body. After close to a year, I still think I made the right decision and I would do it again. Having said that, there are a few things that bother me with the 6D.

I really wish the focus points covered more of the view finder than they do. They seem to be clustered tightly round the middle and I'm doing much more focus and recompose than I used to with my old 20D.

I really really miss the thumb joy stick I had on my 20D. Changing focus points in a hurry is a two step process and using the rocker isn't as convenient in my mind as the joy stick.

I hope they fix this with a firmware update, but if you forget to turn off GPS (which I love) and don't use your camera for a few days, you will be in for a let down. It keeps draining the battery. How difficult would it be for it to automatically turn off and on?

I have had no problems with the focusing on the 6D but really don't understand why only one cross type.

In reading this, please remember that given the chance, I would buy the 6D again. Can you imagine shooting at ISOs over 6000? Took some 4th of July pictures at the fireworks display at ISO over 12,000 and was shocked to see how well the pictures turned out. Just ordered some big prints from Aluminyze it that turned out amazing.
Canon 6D, EF 70-200 f/4 L USM, EF 24-105 f/4 L IS USM, EF 35 f/2 IS USM, EF 50 f/1.8 II, EF 85 f/1.8 USM, 580EX

sdsr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2013, 09:10:34 PM »

I really wish the focus points covered more of the view finder than they do. They seem to be clustered tightly round the middle and I'm doing much more focus and recompose than I used to with my old 20D.

I think you'll find that's a FF DSLR problem rather than a 6D problem.  The 5DIII may have seven times as many focus points, but the overall area the cover on the viewfinder isn't much bigger; the same's true of the other FF cameras I've tried - Nikon D800 & D600.  It does help a little that at the extremes the 5DIII has more points, but it makes less difference from that point of view than one might think.  (If you really want to avoid focus/recompose, mirrorless seems to be the way to go at present.  I'm not sure about the FF Sony mirrorless cameras, but on the M43 bodies I'm familiar with the focus points cover almost the entire screen.)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2013, 09:10:34 PM »

jd7

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2013, 10:04:35 PM »
I really really miss the thumb joy stick I had on my 20D. Changing focus points in a hurry is a two step process and using the rocker isn't as convenient in my mind as the joy stick.

+1 about the lack of a joystick on the 6D.  After having a 40D and then 7D, I really miss it (in fact the 7D's ergonomics, AF system and speed make it useful enough for some things (to me) I'm hanging on to the 7D despite having a 6D).  I feel sure Canon left off the joystick primarily to add to the factors differentiating the 6D from the 5DIII, but I really wish Canon had decided differently about that - whatever the limitations of the 6D's AF, at least with a joystick it would have made it easier to use the AF system to its fullest.

All of that said, I'm wondering what you mean about changing focus points being a two step process.  I'm guessing you mean you have to press the "change AF point button" and then use the rocker to set the AF point you want ... If that's right, you might like to have a look in the 6D's custom settings.  You can set it (as I have) so the rocker is always active to select AF points when the camera is in shooting mode.  The rocker isn't as convenient as the joystick, but at least set up that way you don't have to waste time pressing the change AF point button first.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 10:07:01 PM by jd7 »
6D | 24-70 4L IS | 70-200 4L IS | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 35 2 IS | 40 2.8 | 85 1.8 | 1.4x mk II | 430EX II

Janbo Makimbo

• EOS M2
  • 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2013, 10:52:55 PM »

+1 about the lack of a joystick on the 6D.  After having a 40D and then 7D, I really miss it (in fact the 7D's ergonomics, AF system and speed make it useful enough for some things (to me) I'm hanging on to the 7D despite having a 6D).  I feel sure Canon left off the joystick primarily to add to the factors differentiating the 6D from the 5DIII, but I really wish Canon had decided differently about that - whatever the limitations of the 6D's AF, at least with a joystick it would have made it easier to use the AF system to its fullest.

All of that said, I'm wondering what you mean about changing focus points being a two step process.  I'm guessing you mean you have to press the "change AF point button" and then use the rocker to set the AF point you want ... If that's right, you might like to have a look in the 6D's custom settings.  You can set it (as I have) so the rocker is always active to select AF points when the camera is in shooting mode.  The rocker isn't as convenient as the joystick, but at least set up that way you don't have to waste time pressing the change AF point button first.

I have my rocker set like that too... I have also honed my back button focus skills which makes it much easier to recompose!!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2013, 10:52:55 PM »